• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some trousers made in 560 gram covert coating and they are very nice to wear in the winter. That weight might be a bit light for a proper overcoat, but for simply "cool" weather as you say, it would be fine.

Agreed with this. I have sportcoats in heavier fabrics than that. 560g seems more topcoat than overcoat.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me linen or other non-cotton shirt fabric? Would like to experiment with something that's not cotton for a change. I can't recall any US fabrics mentioned on here, though that would be a bonus.

Thanks!

Among the big cut-length shirting offerings, Canclini has the greatest variety of fabric compositions. I think there's tencel, and lyocell, and maybe wool, and canapa (hemp) among others. Hemp is like linen but a little softer, in my experience. You can browse it all on their web window-shop here but I think they only sell to the trade, so you would have to order through your shirtmaker.

CorozoButton

Reaction score
For those who have gone for the Minnis Fresco Mock Leno jacketing, did you choose 510243, or the darker navy 510244? Does anyone know what shade was used for this?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who have gone for the Minnis Fresco Mock Leno jacketing, did you choose 510243, or the darker navy 510244? Does anyone know what shade was used for this?

@gdl203 might be able to help out with which shade this is...

yanagi

Reaction score

I went with 510244. It's a conservative, dark navy (not midnight).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ours is 510243

yanagi

Reaction score
Can I ask how you're finding the jacket? What did you go for in terms of lining configuration, and how do you find it handles heat?

My jacket is a 6x2 DB, fully lined (as suggested by my tailor). I love it. I think the warmest this past summer that I ever wore it was 82-ish F and not that humid. I run hot but felt fine walking outside with the jacket on. Conversely, the coldest I've worn it was last November when it was an unseasonably warm 64-ish F.

CorozoButton

Reaction score
My jacket is a 6x2 DB, fully lined (as suggested by my tailor). I love it. I think the warmest this past summer that I ever wore it was 82-ish F and not that humid. I run hot but felt fine walking outside with the jacket on. Conversely, the coldest I've worn it was last November when it was an unseasonably warm 64-ish F.
Thank you so much. That's pretty much all of May - September where I am, save a few odd days, so that's great to hear.

dukeaw

Reaction score
All,

I feel overwhelmed... I have historically been working with a tailor that has only two options: Loro Piana and Holland and Sherry. When I wanted linen @The Chai recommended Spence Bryson, and now my tailor has that. That makes life easy. I simply had him make my suit with the HS s120 fabrics. I dont even know what book it was from. From their website it could have been snowy river or Target. The fabric is 8.5 oz so I'm guessing snowy river

However, I am now working with a manufacturer (a factory) that has access to many many many mills and merchants. I suddenly feel overwhelmed. I dont know where to start for basic suiting. I'm only going to use their in house unknown cloth for the test fittings. Once I move beyond that I plan to move on to european fabrics. I could keep going with Holland and Sherry, but I could explore VBC/Drapers... but do I do arrivals or 5 star? I could try Ariston and go with their collection of super 120's. Dugdale Merchant Fleece could work. I could even try Huddersfield fine worsted... although from the looks of it they only have 130 in their Bedlam book. I havent even looks into Zegna, Loro Piana, or Scabal, or Doremeuil, yet...

I know I cant go wrong with any of these fabrics... is there any method to choosing, or should I just spin the bottle? I'm leaning towards spinning the bottle unless someone has another way to frame this decision

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All,

I feel overwhelmed... I have historically been working with a tailor that has only two options: Loro Piana and Holland and Sherry. When I wanted linen @The Chai recommended Spence Bryson, and now my tailor has that. That makes life easy. I simply had him make my suit with the HS s120 fabrics. I dont even know what book it was from. From their website it could have been snowy river or Target. The fabric is 8.5 oz so I'm guessing snowy river

However, I am now working with a manufacturer (a factory) that has access to many many many mills and merchants. I suddenly feel overwhelmed. I dont know where to start for basic suiting. I'm only going to use their in house unknown cloth for the test fittings. Once I move beyond that I plan to move on to european fabrics. I could keep going with Holland and Sherry, but I could explore VBC/Drapers... but do I do arrivals or 5 star? I could try Ariston and go with their collection of super 120's. Dugdale Merchant Fleece could work. I could even try Huddersfield fine worsted... although from the looks of it they only have 130 in their Bedlam book. I havent even looks into Zegna, Loro Piana, or Scabal, or Doremeuil, yet...

I know I cant go wrong with any of these fabrics... is there any method to choosing, or should I just spin the bottle? I'm leaning towards spinning the bottle unless someone has another way to frame this decision
Depends on what you want really, style and feeling wise...material etc...everyone is good at something and has their own niche...i.e. halstead and mohairs, bateman and dugdales for worsteds that wont bust the bank...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads