• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I have very much enjoyed buing british fabrics directly as a consumer from several british sources. I live in the european union and brexit has caused me to reconsider where I will bill cloth from in the future. Even with the current agreement between the UK and EU, the seller would still have to provide a letter of origin for me to avoid import duties. And I am unsure as to how many would be able and willing to provide this. Therefore the prices are just to high. So I would like to hear, if you have any experience with italian mills or wholesalers, who let consumers buy directly? Anybody you can recommend? Thx in advance. Regards

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I have very much enjoyed buing british fabrics directly as a consumer from several british sources. I live in the european union and brexit has caused me to reconsider where I will bill cloth from in the future. Even with the current agreement between the UK and EU, the seller would still have to provide a letter of origin for me to avoid import duties. And I am unsure as to how many would be able and willing to provide this. Therefore the prices are just to high. So I would like to hear, if you have any experience with italian mills or wholesalers, who let consumers buy directly? Anybody you can recommend? Thx in advance. Regards

For some reason, there are fewer "micro mills" in Italy than in Britain. Whereas HFW can sell you certain fabrics at a low cost, or someone may find some independent tweed weaver in Scotland, the companies in Italy tend to be big. They require big minimums and then sell those big runs through agents, which comes with a higher cost.

There are some specialty companies, such as Carnet. But I think it's harder to procure Italian fabrics as a direct customer and at a reasonable cost.

On this thread, there are some people who believe that customers should just go through tailors. I think there's some wisdom in that, and some reason why someone might want to avoid that advice. But as you move into Italian fabrics, it makes more sense to just ask your tailor.

Reaction score
For some reason, there are fewer "micro mills" in Italy than in Britain. Whereas HFW can sell you certain fabrics at a low cost, or someone may find some independent tweed weaver in Scotland, the companies in Italy tend to be big. They require big minimums and then sell those big runs through agents, which comes with a higher cost.

There are some specialty companies, such as Carnet. But I think it's harder to procure Italian fabrics as a direct customer and at a reasonable cost.

On this thread, there are some people who believe that customers should just go through tailors. I think there's some wisdom in that, and some reason why someone might want to avoid that advice. But as you move into Italian fabrics, it makes more sense to just ask your tailor.
Thank you for the quick answer Derek.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
Do you have a website or email for them?

konstantis

Reaction score
I am in the same position with you. I was wondering if it would be good difficult to continue source fabrics from British mills. Fox advised me that they are searching the way to continue supply European customers. Tickets shoes advised me that the price I see in their site would the final price that I would pay as a European customer . The same advised me Herring shoes but I am not at all sure.

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any point getting seersucker fully canvassed or would I be better off going fully unstructured?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there any point getting seersucker fully canvassed or would I be better off going fully unstructured?

Fully unstructured meaning nothing inside? A coat needs some kind of structure otherwise it would hang like a shirt.

I have a fully canvased seersucker suit. It has the lightest of chest pieces. I don't think it has any domette. The canvas and chest piece extend into the shoulder, but there's no shoulder pad. I wouldn't be against a shoulder pad for heat reasons. I think it's more about the silhouette. But this suit does have a very light construction.

I've heard of some customers asking for a lighter canvas and chest piece for a summer commission. I've never done that and would be slightly worried about changing the silhouette or house style. But I also don't wear tailored coats once the weather gets up into the 90s.

dan'l

Reaction score
Is your seersucker 100% cotton?

I‘m a bit surprised to hear you have one, since it seems to be something one cannot wear often and you frequently post about having a wardrobe which is versatile. Anyways, I‘d like to get one myself someday, but probably only after I have several fresco and linen suits.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I‘m a bit surprised to hear you have one, since it seems to be something one cannot wear often and you frequently post about having a wardrobe which is versatile. Anyways, I‘d like to get one myself someday, but probably only after I have several fresco and linen suits.

Are you asking me? My suit is made from a Loro Piana wool-silk fabric.

I think at some point, a wardrobe gets big enough where it's OK to have some things you'll only wear once in a blue moon. I think versatility is a bigger deal if you have a small wardrobe.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I had a suit made up in Loro Piana's "Lightest" a wool/silk Seersucker. Similar to this Armoury suit but I got Navy (theirs is lighter blue)

1610758064297.png

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me linen or other non-cotton shirt fabric? Would like to experiment with something that's not cotton for a change. I can't recall any US fabrics mentioned on here, though that would be a bonus.

Thanks!

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mentioned one earlier in the thread actually

I have a shirting length of the sand colorway, currently unfunded. Looking forward to having it made up, currently not feasible due to covid travel restrictions.

Very cool! Sorry I didn't see it earlier - there doesn't seem to be any 'search thread' function so I figured I would create a new post. It does seem potentially a bit heavy (7 oz), but I'll see if I can get a swatch before I come to any conclusions. Shame there doesn't seem to be a white or light blue color though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads