• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it does well, but I think you would have done a lot better selling it yourself on here. After Spoo takes his cut and you pay all the ebay fees, you're likely to be disappointed with whats left over.

Best of luck!
I prefer the consignment process as I don’t really have the desire to run things myself. Not overly interested in the money and also like the circus-like atmosphere. This one should be fun to watch.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the consignment process as I don’t really have the desire to run things myself. Not overly interested in the money and also like the circus-like atmosphere. This one should be fun to watch.

Fair enough. If you're happy with 40% of the proceeds, who am I to judge?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. If you're happy with 40% of the proceeds, who am I to judge?
I know what you mean, though. I could have put it up here in B&S and dealt with a pile of offers and annoying emails or I could have listed it myself on eBay I guess. Just not something I was really interested in.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean, though. I could have put it up here in B&S and dealt with a pile of offers and annoying emails or I could have listed it myself on eBay I guess. Just not something I was really interested in.

Totally get it, enjoy the show :)

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mohair denim...now I’ve seen everything...
F7B7E199-6092-4137-9845-F9DF0E48E915.png
0A3C43DE-5CDE-47F6-AA9B-92F153C48D72.jpeg
F97BE683-6065-43A3-8449-1F65CBB22B83.jpeg

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice! I wonder if it would do for a shirt or shirt jacket.

dan'l

Reaction score
RE: summer tweed, great stuff. I really wish Derek would come up with other cloths.

RE: eBay, I‘m clearing out my storage room and selling some stuff (non-menswear) and man, it really is a hassle to deal with all that pic-taking, description-writing, question-answering, etc., so I can totally understand the approach of just letting someone else take care of all that.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my case, ordinary wear of basic English and Italian lightweight worsteds, the trousers will only last 3 years, worn 1-2 times a week in the warmer months; they are cut full. Rarely dry cleaned and properly stored. Higher end material like Lessers, more like 8-12 years, which is pretty good for lightweight material. Costly fabric but compared to the cost of tailoring, overall cost of ownership is acceptable.

Heavy worsteds from Gorina, P&B Classics and Dugdales have been both inexpensive and sturdy in my experience. I'd be interested to hear others' experiences.
Finding the specs or information of the yarns used and weaving is not easy to find, nor is it readily available. Even to us in the trade.
Tailors have a perspective of cloth consumers don't have from working with it, sewing and pressing. This how we learn the characteristics of a cloth.
Every cloth merchant has cloth that I like and cloth I don't like. I tend to select the books from each brand that I like to work with and ignore other books.
A friend of mine would go thru the seasons new sample books and remove the cloth samples from each book that he didn't want to make or wouldn't like to make knowing they wouldn't tailor well or wear well.

Single ply yarns have a short shelf life. They don't tailor well or last as long. Some weavers use a certain quality in the warp and a different quality in the weft. This could be to reduce the weight or cost or both. These cloths tend to wear unevenly.
Point is; you can't be reductionistic and determine the cloth quality or longevity by isolating one factor like weight. Stick to brands with a good reputation and stand behind their goods.

dan'l

Reaction score
^ with that said, have you noticed a change in quality of the same cloths from the same mills over the years? That is, if you always made stuff from, say mill XYZ and cloth # 12345, have you ordered that same cloth a few years later and felt it was different? Of course there could be some slight variation in color due to dyes, etc., but I wonder if the wool itself could differ, too, based on what dww wrote about wool quality.

konstantis

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to purchase chambray and denim fabrics suitable for MTM shirts ? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads