• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can I ask if anyone has tried ordering from kabbani textile on IG? It’s run by Fadi Kabbani. He seems to have all mills available but not sure if they’re genuine?
He’s real, and good. Have ordered through him several times.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Really? Looks to be turning into something very nice.

Really. And I am not glad to highlight it!

Have you seen the image with the sleeve attached? The direction of the barleycorn in the garment's torso points downwards, whereas in the sleeve it points upwards!

I think this is a very unfortunate thing to pass by, and a gross mistake by any tailor delivering a bespoke garment.

Cheers,

Dimitris

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Missed that one. Oh, well.

Looks like a LL birdseye. I have my own jacket made from that. Sleeves probably not mismatched!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really. And I am not glad to highlight it!

Have you seen the image with the sleeve attached? The direction of the barleycorn in the garment's torso points downwards, whereas in the sleeve it points upwards!

I think this is a very unfortunate thing to pass by, and a gross mistake by any tailor delivering a bespoke garment.

Cheers,

Dimitris
This happens when the cutter is careless and might think no one will catch it or when there isn’t enough cloth and it’s necessary to reverse pattern pieces to fit everything into the amount of cloth you have.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happens when the cutter is careless and might think no one will catch it or when there isn’t enough cloth and it’s necessary to reverse pattern pieces to fit everything into the amount of cloth you have.
Hmm where are the pictures? I can't seem to find this mismatched barleycorn.

yanagi

Reaction score
Hmm where are the pictures? I can't seem to find this mismatched barleycorn.

I assume it's here.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

Sure!

As far as the cutter's carelessness is concerned, this should never happen because he/she does have a professional duty of care.

In the second case (shortage of cloth), at first instance it is the client's mistake (assuming a CMT deal) to deliver a fabric short of the required-by-the-garment length, but he could be advised by the tailor during the bespoke process to order an extra length; not a big deal!

Best,

Dimitris

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impatience and procrastination from life lead me to scrolling through M&E's instagram...and I found this! This looks to be the exact same coat that was hanging off a dummy that I was looking to duplicate.

I do wonder how my own pattern matching will end up regarding this cloth. It looks like the raglan sleeve intersecting with the shoulder area is tough to nail.

The coat below on the right being a much more obvious example on how this can look disastrous

Wren

Reaction score
Sure!

As far as the cutter's carelessness is concerned, this should never happen because he/she does have a professional duty of care.

In the second case (shortage of cloth), at first instance it is the client's mistake (assuming a CMT deal) to deliver a fabric short of the required-by-the-garment length, but he could be advised by the tailor during the bespoke process to order an extra length; not a big deal!

Best,

Dimitris

Unfortunately it happens quite often. Here is another example, this time on the pockets:

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Yes, I absolutely agree!

Not only is the flap-in-sight sewn upside down, but more to that, it is not even vertically aligned with the rows of the PoW above and below the pockets! This has proved to be a challenging (and troublesome!) part of this particular jacket because just above the flaps - due to the darts - the vertical rows of the PoW have been trimmed to three from four.

I am no tailor, but in a layman approach I would have pre-estimated the position of the dart with the use of the client's personal pattern, and I would have probably selected the void area between the vertical parts of the PoW if other harmonies were not disturbed; there, the above-underlined problem caused by the darts would have been avoided.

Best,

Dimitris

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I've whined about this a bit before and may just be shouting into the void at this point, but I'm looking into some insight into the rationale behind merchants retail pricing on fabrics vs. their trade pricing...I just got a 'weekly special' email from Fox Bros for Shetland tweed that was 190GBP per meter!

I can imagine major tailoring houses (Huntsman, A&S, Poole, etc) having a large enough book of business w/ Fox to equate to a very nice discount...but I'm also curious how many cut lengths per year other smaller houses like Steed, Steven Hitchcock, or Richard Anderson would have in a given year with Fox Bros to justify a similar trade price

Last edited:

zr3rs

Reaction score
I know I've whined about this a bit before and may just be shouting into the void at this point, but I'm looking into some insight into the rationale behind merchants retail pricing on fabrics vs. their trade pricing...I just got a 'weekly special' email from Fox Bros for Shetland tweed that was 190GBP per meter!

I can imagine major tailoring houses (Huntsman, A&S, Poole, etc) having a large enough book of business w/ Fox to equate to a very nice discount...but I'm also curious how many cut lengths per year other smaller houses like Steed, Steven Hitchcock, or Richard Anderson would have with Fox Bros to justify a similar trade price
Complete runs for RTW (e.g. Hackett) or resellers are in a completely different price range, but even cut lengths for small tailors are priced to give your tailor a nice margin if he is invoicing you at 190GBP....

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Complete runs for RTW (e.g. Hackett) or resellers are in a completely different price range, but even cut lengths for small tailors are priced to give your tailor a nice margin if he is invoicing you at 190GBP....

Yea, I definitely understand how buying whole runs for RTW lines would be a different ball game...but lets just say that Huntsman buys 100 jacket/suit lengths of Fox Bros throughout the course of the year, and Steed buys 10 jacket/suit lengths at roughly the same trade price...why is someone who is purchasing 1-2 lengths getting charged a 4x premium.

I have heard that its to 'protect' the tailor who wants to upcharge, but a) isnt that the tailors responsibility, and b) if that is the case shouldn't the tailor just refuse CMT?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can imagine major tailoring houses (Huntsman, A&S, Poole, etc) having a large enough book of business w/ Fox to equate to a very nice discount...but I'm also curious how many cut lengths per year other smaller houses like Steed, Steven Hitchcock, or Richard Anderson would have in a given year with Fox Bros to justify a similar trade price

Well, the vast majority of purchasers of cloth are people in the trade, so it would make sense the the mills would give them preferred pricing. And it isnt just the cut lengths that they buy that the mills want to support, its the whole ecosystem. Smaller houses still market, drive and support the cloth industry, and are vitally important to the mills. Consumer direct sales cuts tailors, MTM houses, etc out of the circle and eventually leads to a contraction of the market. Its effectively Walmarting the cloth industry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads