• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

undertheskin

Reaction score
Lol, no rush! Thanks!

first one on window sill, second in living room with lights off.
i'd say the colors aren't as vibrant as on the pictures especially the 15358 is more bronze and less salmon.

E04E0945-1EBE-4A06-A35B-FE9B1536F3EA.jpeg

BB312A7C-9CF7-4CAD-AD7D-390B09DAD07C.jpeg

dan'l

Reaction score
first one on window sill, second in living room with lights off.
i'd say the colors aren't as vibrant as on the pictures especially the 15358 is more bronze and less salmon.

View attachment 1474607
View attachment 1474606
Nice of you to post the pics!

This is from Spence Bryson (aks Ulster Weavers), right? At 240 grams this would correspond to the Dugdale Naturals collection, right (which is supposedly re-branded UW, acc. to group consensus)?

undertheskin

Reaction score
no, i'm sorry. i didn't mean to confuse anybody.
this is from the 'tropical' bunch which is 255gsm=380gm. i understand this is basically the w.bill linen bunch.

dan'l

Reaction score
^ maybe I didn't read the posts carefully enough. The pics you posted are from H&S Tropical?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ maybe I didn't read the posts carefully enough. The pics you posted are from H&S Tropical?

pics are from UW tropical, which is likely close to/the same as W. Bill

I am looking for something close to/the same as the H&S tobacco shade, which appears to be a shade or two lighter than the W. Bill

I haven’t perused the Dugdale natural collection yet, I should probably do that too...

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All right kids I just got my hands on the LL ultimate navy blazer and I can honestly say I don’t understand the cloth. But then again I don’t understand navy blazers. What’s so special about the cloth and how often does one reach for their navy blazer?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All right kids I just got my hands on the LL ultimate navy blazer and I can honestly say I don’t understand the cloth. But then again I don’t understand navy blazers. What’s so special about the cloth and how often does one reach for their navy blazer?
Very rarely. Where I live, navy blazers seem to have negative connotations overall.

I've basically switched to various shades of green now. No negative connotations, but still looks great.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can’t speak to the LL cloth, but I have several navy sport coats. They are among my most worn sport coats. They go with just about anything except navy trousers. And are easily dressed up or down. I would only call one of them a blazer as it has metal buttons (more subdued silver toned, rather than the traditional brass) the others have traditional sport coat buttons in brown horn, I like them with a slightly lighter horn (medium brown) to give them a bit of a blazer vibe, without going full on brass buttons.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very rarely. Where I live, navy blazers seem to have negative connotations overall.

I've basically switched to various shades of green now. No negative connotations, but still looks great.
I can’t speak to the LL cloth, but I have several navy sport coats. They are among my most worn sport coats. They go with just about anything except navy trousers. And are easily dressed up or down. I would only call one of them a blazer as it has metal buttons (more subdued silver toned, rather than the traditional brass) the others have traditional sport coat buttons in brown horn, I like them with a slightly lighter horn (medium brown) to give them a bit of a blazer vibe, without going full on brass buttons.

I mostly reach for a green blazer these days if I want to keep things simple. Can a solid colored sport coat in general take the place of a blue blazer?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mostly reach for a green blazer these days if I want to keep things simple. Can a solid colored sport coat in general take the place of a blue blazer?
For me, it basically has. Versatile, smart enough due to being a piece of tailoring, can be dressed up or down fairly easily.

The shade does matter though. A darker olive fatigue green is much better for versatility than an emerald green.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

200 gbp per meter was too rich for my blood. Still haven’t pulled the trigger on any LL stuff yet, it all runs a bit too heavy for my climate.

i primarily wear sport coats and blazers for work, so I dig navy blazers cause they are versatile (go with khakis, brown, cords, olive, grey flannels, etc.). My gold button blazer takes the in between spot for full suit and more casual tweeds, something like a baptism or daytime wedding.

yanagi

Reaction score
how often does one reach for their navy blazer?

I have an SB from the Dugdale Tropicalair mock leno and a DB from the Fresco III mock leno. I wore the DB today with light brown jeans and wear both regularly.

I agree that a solid colored sport coat (green, brown, purple...) can in general take the place of a navy blazer.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The benefit of a navy sport coat or blazer is that you can wear it multiple times a week and no one will notice. It's sort of a default uniform, assuming you live in an area where tailored clothing is normal (as normal as it can be in 2020). Bolder colors such as green and purple will attract more attention, and if you wear it multiple times a week, people will think you live in it.

Even a brown tweed doesn't have the same "under the radar" effect of a navy blazer.

I know a few professors who only wear navy blazers almost five days a week, and no one really bats an eye.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads