• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Specific search question.

I'm looking for a brown dominant gunclub, preferably with a burgundy or red element or crosscheck. In the 9.5-12 oz range.

Was looking through a bunch of Loro books as well as some Gladson and the Fox website and couldn't quite find anything.

Worsted Alsport 2 had some stuff close.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

dan'l

Reaction score
Lisburn’s heavier but open plain weave linens are great stuff. Very likely from Ulster but Lisburn has lots of colours that aren’t available from Ulster’s own offering.
Thanks. I searched through this thread and found one of your old posts saying Paone was making a suit out of Lisburn for you. Have you received it yet and do you have any pics?

dan'l

Reaction score
For anyone who has been following my upcoming Balmacaan-ish coat, any tips before I go to my tailor tomorrow and what to ask? He generally claims to make anything, but I'm uncertain as to his skill of his making a raglan coat and pattern matching.

I wonder if there is any point in asking for a muslin fit first.

FWIW, he has made me great trousers in the past, a safari jacket, shortened the collar of a blazer(collar gap alteration), and narrowed the shoulders of an overcoat. All with great results.

@dieworkwear
@Despos
@Bespoke DJP
@konstantis
I've had quite a few overcoats made over the years and never had a muslin fit first. Overcoats are made similar to suit coats, so you should have basted, forward and final fittings. There should be sufficient margin to get it to work.

With that said, raglan sleeves can be tricky. When I asked one of my tailors to make my raglan coat, he pulled out his pattern book and showed me how he intended to cut it. It turned out fine. But at that point he had made lots of stuff for me already and I fully trusted his abilities.

On the other hand, I've been working with another maker for a raglan sleeve rain coat. They made a toile mock-up and all, but in the end it didn't pan out, so I abandoned the idea and went with a set-in sleeve. I'm quite disappointed with that, since I really wanted it to work out.

dan'l

Reaction score
Hey all! Specific search question.

I'm looking for a brown dominant gunclub, preferably with a burgundy or red element or crosscheck. In the 9.5-12 oz range.

Was looking through a bunch of Loro books as well as some Gladson and the Fox website and couldn't quite find anything.

Worsted Alsport 2 had some stuff close.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Have you checked out Caccioppoli?

For example:
500146_o-900x563.jpg

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
For anyone who has been following my upcoming Balmacaan-ish coat, any tips before I go to my tailor tomorrow and what to ask? He generally claims to make anything, but I'm uncertain as to his skill of his making a raglan coat and pattern matching.

I wonder if there is any point in asking for a muslin fit first.

Dear @FlyingHorker,

I totally feel you and comprehend your insecurities concerning this project!

Just few generic - I am afraid - thoughts:

- I have a long-standing aversion to such statements as the above in bold; he knows of course that you can never bullet proof this "claim", only the hard way.

- Has your tailor shown you any pictures of bespoke Balmacaan overcoats that he personally has completed? Recent work is what you need, it might be quite informative too; excuse me for being blunt, but I don't think that you would be thrilled if his last made balmacaan was like 20-25 years ago!

- A muslin / toile is a good idea, still, it will roughly demonstrate you that he has a "connection" with the make-up, not that he possesses the actual skills to work optimally with the fabric, and perform as expected in intricate construction elements as the raglan sleeves are, as well as in aesthetically necessary elements as pattern matching is.

- Finally, although your eagerness to make use of this beautiful fabric that you just acquired is more than understandable, once you wrote above and I quote: "I'm uncertain as to his skill...", I can only advise you to have more than one pre-decided project-breaking points, before you totally commit yourself. I most certainly believe that your singular starting point should be trust; if at any early stage (before he cuts the fabric) you have the feeling that you don't trust him that he would efficiently perform his professional task, you should abort the project with him.

Please, do keep us informed.

Best,

Dimitris

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Debating between the one in the picture and the lighter one at 300g (both Joshua Ellis). I wish they did something in the 350-420g range which imo the is ideal weight for a woollen cashmere.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Is this too heavy for a sportcoat or it is just fine?

View attachment 1470218

Dear @aristoi bcn,

As you are very well aware, this is an overcoating fabric, and as such it falls in the known to us theme: "overcoating fabric to be used for Sport Coats", so in general it depends on the climate of the area to be used, in tandem with your taste & tolerance to cold.

One point of warning though; from your picture I can see that there is a fair nap in the fabric, and in this case, if I were you, I wouldn't consider it for the said purpose. The nap - in my books - is a clear distinguishing feature of an overcoating fabric and it begs (the fabric) to be used as such!

That said, do you have a picture of the 300grams fabric's swatch that you are also contemplating?

Best,

Dimitris

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @aristoi bcn,

As you are very well aware, this is an overcoating fabric, and as such it falls in the known to us theme: "overcoating fabric to be used for Sport Coats", so in general it depends on the climate of the area to be used, in tandem with your taste & tolerance to cold.

One point of warning though; from your picture I can see that there is a fair nap in the fabric, and in this case, if I were you, I wouldn't consider it for the said purpose. The nap - in my books - is a clear distinguishing feature of an overcoating fabric and it begs (the fabric) to be used as such!

That said, do you have a picture of the 300grams fabric's swatch that you are also contemplating?

Best,

Dimitris

Thanks for your comments Dimitris.

I don't have a picture of the 300g but I think it also has a slight nap. Both are plain weave.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments Dimitris.

I don't have a picture of the 300g but I think it also has a slight nap. Both are plain weave.

You are very welcome!

Out of sheer coincidence I perused the Joshua Ellis site the other day and I found their 100% cashmere jacketing cloth at 300grams. They seem to have a pretty nice collection with a very fine assortment of herringbone ones among them: there 15 colors with 6 shades of brown taking the cake!

Do you know if they sell swatches?

Best,

Dimitris

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are very welcome!

Out of sheer coincidence I perused the Joshua Ellis site the other day and I found their 100% cashmere jacketing cloth at 300grams. They seem to have a pretty nice collection with a very fine assortment of herringbone ones among them: there 15 colors with 6 shades of brown taking the cake!

Do you know if they sell swatches?

Best,

Dimitris

Yes, they have a very good selection of classic designs. Wider selection than Johnston's. I got my swatches long time ago from HFW and I don't know if they do send them out directly sorry. They sell direct part of their range so my assumption would be that they do.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may be a touch out of the usual for this thread, but I couldn't think of anywhere better to ask. Might any of you know where I could source a fabric similar to this one in the Scott Fraser collection? It's described as 'cross weave' Irish linen. I'm interested in anything 'super gauzy', if you will, to end up as a sort of shirt jacket. Thanks if you can help!

ScottFraserLinen.PNG

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This may be a touch out of the usual for this thread, but I couldn't think of anywhere better to ask. Might any of you know where I could source a fabric similar to this one in the Scott Fraser collection? It's described as 'cross weave' Irish linen. I'm interested in anything 'super gauzy', if you will, to end up as a sort of shirt jacket. Thanks if you can help!

View attachment 1470311

I've seen that at Asian markets

5422797-asian-pears-all-wrapped-up-for-protection.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads