• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dan'l

Reaction score
Haha, so true. But I meant more of a sticky highlighting typical recommendations vs. a Cliff Notes of what we discuss in here. I suppose it is highly subjective, though.

dan'l

Reaction score
BTW, I totally expect that you have an Excel file of ref. numbers squirreled away somewhere, Derek.

In the past, I ordered lots of swatches, combining through them and planning several commissions in advance. But I‘m getting tired (or lazy) about it and just wondering how you guys all keep track. For example, I‘m thinking of going for a linen suit for next spring/summer and distinctly remember it was discussed here before. But can’t remember if the general consensus was to go for Ulster, W. Bill, Drapers, or something else. See what I mean?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BTW, I totally expect that you have an Excel file of ref. numbers squirreled away somewhere, Derek.

In the past, I ordered lots of swatches, combining through them and planning several commissions in advance. But I‘m getting tired (or lazy) about it and just wondering how you guys all keep track. For example, I‘m thinking of going for a linen suit for next spring/summer and distinctly remember it was discussed here before. But can’t remember if the general consensus was to go for Ulster, W. Bill, Drapers, or something else. See what I mean?

I kind of just keep it in my head, combined with going for whatever is convenient.

I happen to prefer British linen over Italian linen, as I find it slightly tigher woven. I find Italian linen can sometimes look very messy, whereas British linen tends to look sharper.

Given that, I go for W. Bill linen because it's what my tailors have access to. I don't really want to go through the trouble of sourcing my own linen. So I order swatches from my tailor or the respective Harrisons rep.

I do keep somewhat of a running tab of what I'd like to get commissioned in the future. That's basically my Unfunded Liabilities pile, along with whatever is in my head. Or sometimes I'll just flip through books.

I don't know. I agree it can be very confusing sometimes, but also fun to discover cloths. If you're looking for something specific, I would just ask in this thread. It's not that fast moving of a thread and I don't think anyone minds the chit chat.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I brought this up before, but is there some way to catalog the contents of this thread? It is one of my favorites and I‘ve followed it for years. However, at over 2000 pages, I don‘t remember everything. It‘s often the case that I‘m looking for a specific cloth recommendation months after a similar discussion has played out and I feel sheepish repeating the question.

So, what do you guys do? Do you use the search function to search through everything or do you bookmark specific posts? Or do you do the baller thing and keep an Excel file of recommended cloths with ref. numbers??

I have a google drive folder that I keep swatches images from this thread and others that I’m interested in...I’ll throw the idea and book and ref number in the title of the image (i.e. “blazer despos rec cape horn 667055” or “winter blazer Harrison moonbeam 35020”). I keep another album of outfits and jacket styles that I like

I also have a spread sheet with my intended commissions and notes on it, planned out a couple of years in advance and will plug in/update/revise fabrics and ideas over time. Its a bit much but it helps me temper my impulses and make sure that an idea I had 2 years ago is still something I want today. Got the idea
from a story about Slash I once read where he said he would draw potential tattoos on himself everyday for a year before deciding if he really wanted it And making it permanent

Last edited:

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I ordered an overcoat in that one. Unfortunately, it arrived without lapped seams so it's getting fixed. When it's back, I'll post a pic.
Receive the Drapers coat back today. As you can see, the herringbone isn't visible unless you're within two or three feet. Otherwise the fabric looks like a mottled grey/black tweed.

kvwNHDQ.jpg

RSTlNnp.jpg

dan'l

Reaction score
I happen to prefer British linen over Italian linen, as I find it slightly tigher woven. I find Italian linen can sometimes look very messy, whereas British linen tends to look sharper.

Given that, I go for W. Bill linen because it's what my tailors have access to. I don't really want to go through the trouble of sourcing my own linen. So I order swatches from my tailor or the respective Harrisons rep.

This is what I mean - for some reason I had Drapers in mind, but it was actually Dugdale that I was thinking about, after seeing Simon post this:

53A4FD2D-2F57-4DD7-9B89-F4011093BE63.jpeg

I distinctly recall a discussion a few months back about Dugdale. I‘ll also check out W.Bill, since I have an account with them. Thanks.

I do keep somewhat of a running tab of what I'd like to get commissioned in the future. That's basically my Unfunded Liabilities pile, along with whatever is in my head. Or sometimes I'll just flip through books.

Sort of my system as well.

dan'l

Reaction score
I have a google drive folder that I keep swatches images from this thread and others that I’m interested in...I’ll throw the idea and book and ref number in the title of the image (i.e. “blazer despos rec cape horn 667055” or “winter blazer Harrison moonbeam 35020”). I keep another album of outfits and jacket styles that I like

I also have a spread sheet with my intended commissions and notes on it, planned out a couple of years in advance and will plug in/update/revise fabrics and ideas over time. Its a bit much but it helps me temper my impulses and make sure that an idea I had 2 years ago is still something I want today. Got the idea
from a story about Slash I once read where he said he would draw potential tattoos on himself everyday for a year before deciding if he really wanted it And making it permanent

Yeah, I used to save various images, but it got out of hand.

I have a spread sheet for past commissions but it‘s a good idea to use them to plan ahead, too. Thanks!

I seems like a lot of us are planning our wardrobe a few years ahead!

sensuki

Reaction score
Dugdale Natural elements is pretty nice, 280g but pretty tightly woven compared to Brisbane Moss (350g) and Baird McNutt (~340g?), the trousers I have in those are lined and as a result wears warmer and looks cleaner than both.

edit: forgot that they were in fact lined.

Last edited:

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Gear Gentlemen,

Actually, Dugdale Natural Elements is Spence Bryson/Ulster Weavers re-branded, as the former is just a merchant, whereas the latter is a producer. Earlier in this year there were certain very informative swatches' comparisons in this thread proving that; same held true with W. Bill linen.

Just save images & keep respective notes.

Cheers,

Dimitris

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It might be the case that Ulster makes for this or that merchant but I've noticed there are some colours that are exclusive to such merchants.

Very likely, and why I think the constant comparison/ mill sniffing/ factory sniffing sometimes devolves into a kind of reductionism. Sometimes people assume that everything is just rebadged, and a factory or mill is just pumping out the same product. So if you find out a mill made X and Y, then X and Y must be comparable. Which is not always the case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads