• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marshak

Reaction score
Some close-ups of my most recent unfunded liabilities. They are all intended to be made into neapolitan spotcoats with side patch pockets, barchetta chest pocket and spalla camicia. Maybe the shepherd's check also with chest patch pocket. Maybe ye olde tailor will decide on that.

Navy honeycomb 100% cashmere by Loro Piana allegedlly for Karl Lagerfeld's brand.

Grey donegal 100% cashmere by Johnston's of Elgin stock supported range.

Dark brown with dark olive green undertones textured 100% cashmere made in England for Chester Barrie.

Off-white and black shepherd's check 50% lambswool 50% cashmere by Joshua Ellis.

View attachment 1465738 View attachment 1465743

View attachment 1465736

Nice art deco lamp. The white/black check is really bold bold. Navy honeycomb is lovely.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opening the package for the first time put a grin on my face. This fabric feels like what you'd expect for tweed as konstantis mentioned: stretchy, spongey, hairy, scratchy, and THICK. This has some serious heft to it.

Turns out, 4m is a lot more than I thought. This is a verified horse blanket. I couldn't get the entire length in one picture.

20200926-111448-HDR.jpg

My tailor said he only needed 3.5m, I only just realized I probably could've requested 3.5 instead of 4 unfortunately.

Still though, I'm having trouble imagining how an entire 3.5m of this stuff is required to make one coat.

Last edited:

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some close-ups of my most recent unfunded liabilities. They are all intended to be made into neapolitan spotcoats with side patch pockets, barchetta chest pocket and spalla camicia. Maybe the shepherd's check also with chest patch pocket. Maybe ye olde tailor will decide on that.

Navy honeycomb 100% cashmere by Loro Piana allegedlly for Karl Lagerfeld's brand.

Grey donegal 100% cashmere by Johnston's of Elgin stock supported range.

Dark brown with dark olive green undertones textured 100% cashmere made in England for Chester Barrie.

Off-white and black shepherd's check 50% lambswool 50% cashmere by Joshua Ellis.

View attachment 1465738 View attachment 1465743

View attachment 1465736

Hahaha I'm so bad uploading pictures. Thinking about buying the lamp but it has the same price as a bespoke jacket.

Marshak

Reaction score
Hahaha I'm so bad uploading pictures. Thinking about buying the lamp but it has the same price as a bespoke jacket.

It's a very classic art deco model. Indeed you could find it around 1200/1500 euros few years ago in Paris. Don't fund the shepherd check and buy it.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a very classic art deco model. Indeed you could find it around 1200/1500 euros few years ago in Paris. Don't fund the shepherd check and buy it.

Louis Poulsen is the brand of the lamp, based on a 1925 design of a non so well known designer.

The scale of the checks on the shepherd's are a bit bigger than what you normally find in these kind of jacketing designs but not overly so. LL has done some jacketings (I recall the Agnelli POW) which are sensibly bigger in terms of scale. The Fox POW and houndstooth jacketings have a bigger pattern, too.

konstantis

Reaction score
Opening the package for the first time put a grin on my face. This fabric feels like what you'd expect for tweed as konstantis mentioned: stretchy, spongey, hairy, scratchy, and THICK. This has some serious heft to it.

Turns out, 4m is a lot more than I thought. This is a verified horse blanket. I couldn't get the entire length in one picture.

20200926-111448-HDR.jpg

My tailor said he only needed 3.5m, I only just realized I probably could've requested 3.5 instead of 4 unfortunately.

Still though, I'm having trouble imagining how an entire 3.5m of this stuff is required to make one coat.
Do you like the fabric ?

SpaceFunk

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my post got lost amongst another discussion. Just wondering what kind of fabric this is? I know the post says "flannel suit" but theres not much more I can tell apart from it being grey herringbone from afar and up close having specks of blue and orange.

I really like the fabric, could someone point me in the right direction in terms of companies to look for that might have something like this in their fabric collections?

Thanks

FB_IMG_1601174415368.jpg

FB_IMG_1601174421753.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my post got lost amongst another discussion. Just wondering what kind of fabric this is? I know the post says "flannel suit" but theres not much more I can tell apart from it being grey herringbone from afar and up close having specks of blue and orange.

I really like the fabric, could someone point me in the right direction in terms of companies to look for that might have something like this in their fabric collections?

Thanks

View attachment 1466168

View attachment 1466167

Looks like a worsted tweed to me.

Try John G. Hardy’s Worsted Alsport (available through Huddersfield Fine Worsted and Gladson) or Porter & Harding's Glorious Twelfth (available through Harrisons of Edinburgh)

AVG

Reaction score
(Re-state from a previous message that was located at the wrong place)

Dear all,

I am writing to you because I am planning to order a new (possibly double breasted) raglan coat and I was wondering if you could give me some advice. The weather here (Norway) is quite rainy/cold, so I was looking for something around 650 gr in blue herringbone, preferably a donegal, soft but durable for "daily" use.

In attachment you will find an example of the color and pattern that I am looking for. If anyone knows which one is this fabric, please let me know. All suggestions and advices are obviously more than welcome.

Best regards,

AVG

Photo credit: Fabio la Mantia/Sartoria Panico

Captura de pantalla 2020-09-26 a las 18.31.38.png

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dear all,

I am writing to you because I am planning to order a new (possibly double breasted) raglan coat and I was wondering if you could give me some advice. The weather here (Norway) is quite rainy/cold, so I was looking for something around 650 gr in blue herringbone, preferably a donegal, soft but durable for "daily" use.

In attachment you will find an example of the color and pattern that I am looking for. If anyone knows which one is this fabric, please let me know. All suggestions and advices are obviously more than welcome.

Best regards,

AVG

View attachment 1466248

Have a look at Magee, Molloy&Sons and W.Bill coatings book.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @AVG,

The above are solid pointers, the British overcoating fabrics may offer variable alternatives for your project.

Should you wish a lighter overcoating fabric and contemplate an Italian provenance as well, Loro Piana has a 100%wool at 550grams, very close to the shade of blue with herringbone that you originally posted.

An image of it may be found here:

As always, compliments are in order for people in Hall Madden for their professional photography!

Best,

Dimitris

AVG

Reaction score
Dear @AVG,

The above are solid pointers, the British overcoating fabrics may offer variable alternatives for your project.

Should you wish a lighter overcoating fabric and contemplate an Italian provenance as well, Loro Piana has a 100%wool at 550grams, very close to the shade of blue with herringbone that you originally posted.

An image of it may be found here:

As always, compliments are in order for people in Hall Madden for their professional photography!

Best,

Dimitris

Thank you, Dimitris. Yesterday I was indeed tempted to choose one of those (ref. 654019) but as far as I know this is about 240€/m, right? My other concern is also durability/behave under heavy rain conditions. Until expanding my current wardrobe I cannot count much on rotation. Do you have any experience with these Loro Piana?

Meantime, I found this beautiful Magee fabric (660 gr) at http://t-katsura.sakura.ne.jp/, but I didn't saw the reference of it. I just contact Magee to see if they still have it in stock. I guess that I will need about 2.5m. What do you think?

Best wishes,

AVG

2010.9.28-6.jpg

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
You are welcome!

Unfortunately I have never handled this particular LP fabric, certainly the brand's vast experience through the years will vouch for its quality! Still, I am afraid that I cannot offer any direct experience, and this is one of the reasons of the link, perhaps one of our fellows here might have something to contribute.

As I wrote above, Magee has very nice fabric propositions, your posted image above depicts handsomely the beauty of this fabric; I believe that the fabric might be one of the following two:

Finally, it's been cited numerous times in this thread, there are a lot of parameters affecting the required length! I urge you to request samples from Magee (or other maker / merchant) and after your final choice, consult with your tailor to determine the length to be bought.

Best,

Dimitris

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dear all,

Best regards,

AVG

View attachment 1466248

I’m fairly certain Daniel Day Lewis’ similar blue raglan coat was made with a W. Bill donegal

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics