• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, not sure how often I have such events to go to, so the use may be limited. I had a black tie rig made a couple of years back and have only worn it once.

So I‘m not the only one who has been eyeing it! What are you planning to have made and for what sort of occasions?

Any suit worn outside of work will always be limited in its utility. But I still find joy in my mohair suit whenever I put it on.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair point.

Do you happen to have a pic of your suit?

1600779140141.png

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes merchants sell the fabrics 3 times more than the mills. Please let me know that price you get.
I ended up placing an order for the 720grams fabric for 4m.

The cost of fabric+shipping(which was hefty) came out to about $95CAD/metre for me, so about $72USD/metre. That's with UPS air mail I think.

Edit: I went with Marling & Evans.

Cloth on the far right

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I remember you covered this, but I didn't understand it and/or don't remember.

Why on earth do companies like Fox charge 4-5x as much as someone like Magee or M&E? Something about buying directly from mills vs. merchants.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I remember you covered this, but I didn't understand it and/or don't remember.

Why on earth do companies like Fox charge 4-5x as much as someone like Magee or M&E? Something about buying directly from mills vs. merchants.

I don't know Fox's pricing structure, so can't comment.

konstantis

Reaction score

The cost of fabric+shipping(which was hefty) came out to about $95CAD/metre for me, so about $72USD/metre. That's with UPS air mail I think.

May i ask which mill finally ?

zr3rs

Reaction score

The big names like Fox or Drapers do not want to undercut their tailors even if these upcharge significantly. I know the real price that my tailor pays to Fox and even with his modest upcharge (which I am fine with) comes out significantly less than the web prices. And that is for cut lengths. For small mills that mostly produce for merchants or MTM or RTW companies (on a full roll basis), this is less of an issue, they also have a much smaller stock typically.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which pattern did you choose ?
Far right

The big names like Fox or Drapers do not want to undercut their tailors even if these upcharge significantly. I know the real price that my tailor pays to Fox and even with his modest upcharge (which I am fine with) comes out significantly less than the web prices. And that is for cut lengths. For small mills that mostly produce for merchants or MTM or RTW companies (on a full roll basis), this is less of an issue, they also have a much smaller stock typically.
Ahhh ok, all of this makes complete sense. Thank you for the info.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads