• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found photos online of the Marling & Evans Natural jacketing book? I appreciate their recently increased social media presence, but I’d like to be able to look at some of the options that they haven’t highlighted (and have already bothered my tailor enough for other swatches ?).
You can email them and they'll send you a Dropbox link. Can try through this link.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this cloth?

fe80094e-cbf8-40a1-9291-57c2375488a8-jpeg.1432786

It is 100% silk and I'd get it made up into a suit for special occasions (weddings, events, that sort of thing - not for the office). I'm wondering if the color is a bit too bright for my intended purpose, though. Any thoughts? @lordsuperb, I'm hoping to get your feedback on this!

I have a mohair suit in this shade of blue and I use it exactly for what you specified. I'm not married and go out often for events so the suit gets a lot use. I'm not sure I'd have a use for it if I wasn't out and about.

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with both of you.

The feeling of the fabric at a substantial weight is very important. If the above-mentioned LL pure cashmere double-faced jacketing fabric is the one that came in brown / grey herringbone and we all admired in our fellow's @Alan Bee astonishing unfunded liabilities pile, indeed, IMO this is destined as a sport coat! I have no information about the weight of this smart and very nice fabric, but I' d very much like to see it as a finished garment.

As an example and only, I was able last year to acquire an overcoating fabric, still unfunded. It is an Ermenegildo Zegna 100% cashmere at 480grams with the characteristic luxurious nap of overcoating fabrics of this quality; this can never become something different that it is destined to be. In contrast, in this year's EZ seasonal collection (Anteprima FW '20-21), one may find a wool-mix overcoating fabric at exactly the same weight (480grams) with no nap at all, dry hand, which gives the impression of a somehow heavier cloth of the ones in the jacketing section; this, under certain circumstances can be contemplated as a sport coat!

Finally, my dear @aristoi bcn, one's prevailing climatological conditions and tolerance to cold will be pivotal to the selection of jacketing and overcoating fabrics for sure! As far as the evolution of the weight of the fabrics is concerned, it is almost unbelievable how lighter the fabrics have became through the years in all cross-sections, due to the urban way of working and living (A/C environments, etc), refined tastes, and climate change, just to name few reasons.

Best,

Dimitris
There may have been more than one double-faced 1000g LL cashmere offering. The one I have is navy and camel. It will not be made into an odd jacket. Rather, it will be an overcoat (details to be determined).

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this cloth?

fe80094e-cbf8-40a1-9291-57c2375488a8-jpeg.1432786

It is 100% silk and I'd get it made up into a suit for special occasions (weddings, events, that sort of thing - not for the office). I'm wondering if the color is a bit too bright for my intended purpose, though. Any thoughts? @lordsuperb, I'm hoping to get your feedback on this!
I ordered it but it has not arrived yet...will let you know once it does but my understanding is its a navy and not a dark blue...

dan'l

Reaction score
I have a mohair suit in this shade of blue and I use it exactly for what you specified. I'm not married and go out often for events so the suit gets a lot use. I'm not sure I'd have a use for it if I wasn't out and about.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, not sure how often I have such events to go to, so the use may be limited. I had a black tie rig made a couple of years back and have only worn it once.

I ordered it but it has not arrived yet...will let you know once it does but my understanding is its a navy and not a dark blue...

So I‘m not the only one who has been eyeing it! What are you planning to have made and for what sort of occasions?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, not sure how often I have such events to go to, so the use may be limited. I had a black tie rig made a couple of years back and have only worn it once.

So I‘m not the only one who has been eyeing it! What are you planning to have made and for what sort of occasions?
Depending on how dark it is potentially a DJ. Tossing up between a 4x1 shawl or a 3 piece sbpl...I acquired some midnight blue shantung facings so if it is dark enough, it will mos def be a natty dj. But I wear black tie for dancing alot so that option may not apply to you. Definitely getting a 3 roll 2 neapolitan style jacket of some sort...maybe even a field jacket who knows! If it is not dark enough I'm gonna go for a 2 piece DB. I acquired 10 (4 metres for my tailor) metres of the cloth so...lots of options

dan'l

Reaction score
10 meters!! Wow. I think the cloth looks great on its own, but just having a hard time imagining it made up into something.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 meters!! Wow. I think the cloth looks great on its own, but just having a hard time imagining it made up into something.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
There may have been more than one double-faced 1000g LL cashmere offering. The one I have is navy and camel. It will not be made into an odd jacket. Rather, it will be an overcoat (details to be determined).

Dear @brax,

As I already wrote, I have no information pertaining to the weight of these LL offerings, but since you are saying that they are pure cashmere at 1kg (!!!), I think that it goes without saying that they certainly are an overcoating material and only.

BTW, what happened to the DB PoW jacket/coat hybrid that @Despos was making for you? Care for couple of photos of the finished (I presume) garment?

Cheers,

Dimitris

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @brax,

As I already wrote, I have no information pertaining to the weight of these LL offerings, but since you are saying that they are pure cashmere at 1kg (!!!), I think that it goes without saying that they certainly are an overcoating material and only.

BTW, what happened to the DB PoW jacket/coat hybrid that @Despos was making for you? Care for couple of photos of the finished (I presume) garment?

Cheers,

Dimitris
Good memory. As the weather cools here I’m sure Despos and I will put that project back on the front burner. I’ll post pictures as soon as I take delivery.

dan'l

Reaction score
That‘s a sharp suit, but I think it‘s a darker shade of blue. It‘s also made of Dupioni silk, which is way of out of my league, price-wise!

Marshak

Reaction score
Good memory. As the weather cools here I’m sure Despos and I will put that project back on the front burner. I’ll post pictures as soon as I take delivery.

The LL cashmere would make a wonderful overcoat.

Last edited:

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

Thank you. Well, I keep record of what - at the time - seems interesting, and most of the times I save one-two images as well.

I understand that (due to Covid?) the project has been halted; pictures and comments are more than welcome when the garment will be delivered.

Best,

Dimitris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads