• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ahtynes

Reaction score
Finmeresco has a great hand and drape, but fairly heavy (at least in its 4 ply iteration). Depending on your tolerance for heat, it may be too much. I've heard a little bit of buzz around the Explorer book lately, but can't speak to it firsthand.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any sources for "giant" patterned cloths for overcoating? Or heavily textured/marled ones.

NZuGr9U.png

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finmeresco has a great hand and drape, but fairly heavy (at least in its 4 ply iteration). Depending on your tolerance for heat, it may be too much. I've heard a little bit of buzz around the Explorer book lately, but can't speak to it firsthand.

Paone has made up both Explorer and Fox Air for the same client. Initial feedback from client and my own observation at fittings suggest Fox Air drapes much better.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did a few things from the 4-ply when it first came out. Not something I'd need to do again. It is the new 'High-Twist' part of the book that I find interesting. Light, looks like fine tropical, but is very wrinkle-resistant and breathes well.

Marshak

Reaction score
Hi friends

I’m planning to commission a high twist spring/summer suit in light grey and I’m trying to decide between the following books. Appreciate any thoughts

- Smith Woolens Abacus
- Dugdale Tropicalair
- Standeven Explorer
- Fox Air (although mark up is nuts)

I also really like Drapers 4ply, but there doesn’t appear to be the right shade of light/silver grey.

Cheers!

Would recommend Crispaire. Decent weight for a spring/summer fabric, it drapes nicely and the bunch has a nice silver grey iteration.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @FlyingHorker,

I am citing makers rather than sources, starting from the last:

a) Drapers: my tailor has not yet received the updated overcoating bunch, but Drapers have done a wonderful job with their new site; there, you may find 2 grand-scale PoW overcoating fabrics, one in (dark) beige and the other in mid-grey. They come in a wool-mix at 550grams.

b) Loro Piana: the image has been posted a lot of times in this thread, Hallmadden(dot)com in their exquisite site may give you an idea. In the "Pecora Nera" Book, you may also find a grand-scale PoW overcoating fabric in beige: it is a 100%wool at 500grams.

c) Ermenegildo Zegna: there is also a mid-brown grand-scale PoW overcoating fabric in the new seasonal collection (Anteprima FW 2020-21), I have not noted its specs, but I have the image from the Book which I am posting here below:

1600417936257.png

Best,

Dimitris

SpaceFunk

Reaction score
Hi guys, what fabric bunches should I look at for a herringbone flannel or tweed like the one used in this sports coat? I like how close up it has some speckles of colour.

Thanks!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @FlyingHorker,

I am citing makers rather than sources, starting from the last:

a) Drapers: my tailor has not yet received the updated overcoating bunch, but Drapers have done a wonderful job with their new site; there, you may find 2 grand-scale PoW overcoating fabrics, one in (dark) beige and the other in mid-grey. They come in a wool-mix at 550grams.

b) Loro Piana: the image has been posted a lot of times in this thread, Hallmadden(dot)com in their exquisite site may give you an idea. In the "Pecora Nera" Book, you may also find a grand-scale PoW overcoating fabric in beige: it is a 100%wool at 500grams.

c) Ermenegildo Zegna: there is also a mid-brown grand-scale PoW overcoating fabric in the new seasonal collection (Anteprima FW 2020-21), I have not noted its specs, but I have the image from the Book which I am posting here below:

View attachment 1460750

Best,

Dimitris
Thanks again Dimitris.

I could only find sources for Drapers, their website is definitely accessible.

I found a PoW check coat, but not a giant version.

They mention it's an overcoating bunch, but then also mention it's 99g/m, which is weird.

Though this does give me an idea on where and who to contact to find such fabrics.

konstantis

Reaction score
Anyone know of any sources for "giant" patterned cloths for overcoating? Or heavily textured/marled ones.

NZuGr9U.png

Marling Evans Natural collection at 700 grms pure wool has what you are serching . The prices are true bargain and the fabric is really beautiful for overcoats.

Attachments

• 5489CB7A-393B-4B3D-B390-5E6FB9D7952E.jpeg
    5489CB7A-393B-4B3D-B390-5E6FB9D7952E.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 427
  • 6270D45E-99A4-46DB-B5CC-8AE7045CD05C.jpeg
    6270D45E-99A4-46DB-B5CC-8AE7045CD05C.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 66
  • B589E458-15AD-4C59-B91A-F7C9D74C855B.jpeg
    B589E458-15AD-4C59-B91A-F7C9D74C855B.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DC87F057-5C99-4ABA-9305-59B2E5994B9B.jpeg
    DC87F057-5C99-4ABA-9305-59B2E5994B9B.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 470
  • 2FF59BBF-8A12-4F5F-AC2F-0F0ED5CD99B3.jpeg
    2FF59BBF-8A12-4F5F-AC2F-0F0ED5CD99B3.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 58
  • A64F761B-80E4-4526-BECC-C6FDDAD00737.jpeg
    A64F761B-80E4-4526-BECC-C6FDDAD00737.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 1C162D2E-F5DB-479D-A32F-B489AA9DC6BF.jpeg
    1C162D2E-F5DB-479D-A32F-B489AA9DC6BF.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 79

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marling Evans Natural collection at 700 grms pure wool has what you are serching . The prices are true bargain and the fabric is really beautiful for overcoats.
exactly what I'm looking for! thanks man

the belted coat up there is great too.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Thanks again Dimitris.

I could only find sources for Drapers, their website is definitely accessible.

I found a PoW check coat, but not a giant version.

They mention it's an overcoating bunch, but then also mention it's 99g/m, which is weird.

Though this does give me an idea on where and who to contact to find such fabrics.

Dear @FlyingHorker,

My pleasure!

The Drapers' site must have a glitch, trust me, this is the one, the weight is exactly what I wrote above: 550grams. As far as the scale of the PoW check is concerned, I can measure it for you should my tailor timely receives the updated Drapers overcoating bunch.

And yes, the swatches that our fellow @konstantis has just posted above are great and spot on for your purposes!

Wishing you all the best for this project,

Dimitris

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @FlyingHorker,

My pleasure!

The Drapers' site must have a glitch, trust me, this is the one, the weight is exactly what I wrote above: 550grams. As far as the scale of the PoW check is concerned, I can measure it for you should my tailor timely receives the updated Drapers overcoating bunch.

And yes, the swatches that our fellow @konstantis has just posted above are great and spot on for your purposes!

Wishing you all the best for this project,

Dimitris
I'll take your word for it, a lot of these fabric companies seem lagging behind in terms of the internet.

A picture would work I think, I struggle to think in terms of measurements.

Thanks man. The magee tweed I ordered has been backordered till Oct. 15.

If this M&E cloth is easily available and also for a reasonable price, I may just get a refund and get that instead.

konstantis

Reaction score
Marling Evans has a nice customer service . The have send me swatches free of charge. The natural collection is undyed wool fabrics and are really beautiful for overcoating . Marling evans sells direct to individuals and if a remeber , prices were lower than 40-50 euro per meters .

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marling Evans has a nice customer service . The have send me swatches free of charge. The natural collection is undyed wool fabrics and are really beautiful for overcoating . Marling evans sells direct to individuals and if a remeber , prices were lower than 40-50 euro per meters .
Holy crap. Ok now I'm unreasonably excited.

I was expecting 150euros per metre at minimum.

24oz wool at such a nice fabric and pattern is insane. Already shot off an e-mail.

konstantis

Reaction score
Holy crap. Ok now I'm unreasonably excited.

I was expecting 150euros per metre at minimum.

24oz wool at such a nice fabric and pattern is insane. Already shot off an e-mail.
Yes merchants sell the fabrics 3 times more than the mills. Please let me know that price you get.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads