• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simon A

Reaction score
What weights do people recommend for a proper topcoat/overcoat suitable for a Northeast/New England winter?

Given the cost of fabric and bespoke tailoring, a cheap experiment might be in order. You can buy a second-hand heavy woollen overcoat in good order on eBay for less than $100; the vendor can tell you how much the garment weighs and you can work backwards from that as to the fabric weight. Wear it a few times in various cold conditions and see how you handle it. Then make your fabric selection for your bespoke garment and resell the eBay coat (unless you really like it). Good luck!

Petey

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Dont mean to distract you all from the current topic.

I live in a mild temp location and was wondering if you could recommend some fabric that drapes well for trouses. Its for work, But the issue with COVID-19 is I would like to find fabric that are machine washable. I'm allergic to chemicals Would anyone know if such fabric exists? I'm in Hong Kong btw. Many thanks

Simon A

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I live in a mild temp location and was wondering if you could recommend some fabric that drapes well for trouses. Its for work, But the issue with COVID-19 is I would like to find fabric that are machine washable. I'm allergic to chemicals Would anyone know if such fabric exists? I'm in Hong Kong btw. Many thanks

"Washable wool" is used in the ready-to-wear market and is usually half polyester. I used to have some pants made from this material when living in Hong Kong, and they were hotter to wear than pure wool, didn't breathe very well, and didn't look as nice or drape as well as pure wool. You could use pure linen, but the tailor will need to consider the construction and washing instructions so that non-linen waistbands and other fittings don't shrink.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

You may already have a tailor, but Luxire offers a ‘washable wool’ which is 70% super 120s and 30% polyester. I have a few pairs for travel around Asia (HK, Singapore etc) and they work well - not too hot to wear, decent drape, and I don’t worry about giving them to hotel laundry if needed.

Petey

Reaction score
"Washable wool" is used in the ready-to-wear market and is usually half polyester. I used to have some pants made from this material when living in Hong Kong, and they were hotter to wear than pure wool, didn't breathe very well, and didn't look as nice or drape as well as pure wool. You could use pure linen, but the tailor will need to consider the construction and washing instructions so that non-linen waistbands and other fittings don't shrink.

Thanks for your advice. which pure wool fabric would you recommend that is washable? Like you I dont like the feel synthetic material

Petey

Reaction score
You may already have a tailor, but Luxire offers a ‘washable wool’ which is 70% super 120s and 30% polyester. I have a few pairs for travel around Asia (HK, Singapore etc) and they work well - not too hot to wear, decent drape, and I don’t worry about giving them to hotel laundry if needed.

Thanks! Let me check them out

WilYa

Reaction score
Recent acquisitions, all vintage
Moxon
IMG_20200917_220255.jpg
G Garnett Sons
IMG_20200917_220051.jpg
HS with cashmere
IMG_20200917_220131.jpg

Simon A

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. which pure wool fabric would you recommend that is washable? Like you I dont like the feel synthetic material
Pure wool fabric does not handle being washed very well. Knitwear, yes if by hand, but woven fabric, no.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pure wool fabric does not handle being washed very well. Knitwear, yes if by hand, but woven fabric, no.
It's neither here nor there, really, but I've often wondered why that is. I've certainly seen a sweater or two of my own shrink like hell from the heat, but I've never seen what happens to a woven cloth. Is it more the agitation that would be the issue, assuming you could otherwise wash in cold and lay flat to dry and such like you would with a delicate sweater?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I washed my worsted wool robe using Eucalan, a lanolin wash, and it came out softer and no longer scratched me.

Edit: This was a hand wash with tepid water.

Last edited:

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi friends

I’m planning to commission a high twist spring/summer suit in light grey and I’m trying to decide between the following books. Appreciate any thoughts

- Smith Woolens Abacus
- Dugdale Tropicalair
- Standeven Explorer
- Fox Air (although mark up is nuts)

I also really like Drapers 4ply, but there doesn’t appear to be the right shade of light/silver grey.

Cheers!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Abacus is new to me. High twist?
Another choice with Smiths is Finmeresco. The High Twist portion of the book is a very elegant and light 10oz.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have quite a few 100% merino long sleeve polos, crew necks, etc.
I put them individually in a zip mesh laundry bag, wash cold, and then rack dry flat.
I haven't ruined one yet...

zr3rs

Reaction score
- Smith Woolens Abacus
- Dugdale Tropicalair
- Standeven Explorer
- Fox Air (although mark up is nuts)
Recently had swatches of the light grey Fox and Explorer 310g in hand. Could not distinguish colour (both are beautiful, probably use the same yarn) nor hand, maybe there are microscopic differences. Have good experiences with Fox Air (in charcoal pow) and some lighter weight Explorer. Also good experience with a nice light gray CoolBreeze by h&s, but this book was surprisingly short-lived.

I find light gray too washed out for a whole suit, so I would go for a mid grey pow or puppytooth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics