• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gotcha, sounds like a pain **********.

Thanks for the info.

I think if you get a navy coat in the design you posted, you're better off with a fabric like this:

aa.png

A blue tweed can work for something like a sport coat. But for an overcoat, the color feels neither here nor there. If you want a tweed coat in the design you posted, I would go with a traditional tweed color, such as brown or grey.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if you get a navy coat in the design you posted, you're better off with a fabric like this:

View attachment 1437778

A blue tweed can work for something like a sport coat. But for an overcoat, the color feels neither here nor there. If you want a tweed coat in the design you posted, I would go with a traditional tweed color, such as brown or grey.
Eh, plain navy herringbone seems really dull to me and too formal for my wardrobe.

I already own a rust mid-brown overcoat, and have a grey peacoat, so a lot of that would be redundant for my wardrobe.

d2155147651b667d624b0256e639a35f.jpg

I've been leaning towards this colour from magee

11380.jpg

It seems to lack the teal, is darker than mid-blue, but more interesting than plain navy.

I'm basically looking for a more interesting SB counterpart to the rust coat up there.

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you looking for in terms of color/ pattern/ weight?

probably leaning towards a winter standard navy blazer with patch and flap pockets, a distant second choice would be a larger grey PoW check with patch pockets

not sure how weight impacts warmth with flannel as compared to tweed, but would guess somewhere in the 370-500g/m range...would most likely wear between late oct and early March in the northeast

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably leaning towards a winter standard navy blazer with patch and flap pockets, a distant second choice would be a larger grey PoW check with patch pockets

not sure how weight impacts warmth with flannel as compared to tweed, but would guess somewhere in the 370-500g/m range...would most likely wear between late oct and early March in the northeast
Porter and Harding glenroyal is what you want.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not a fan of using flannel as a jacket. Has a suit connotation. It has a fuzzy mill finish but no interesting texture for an odd jacket/blazer.
Doesn't work with that many types of cloth for trousers.
Navy flannel is a total lint magnet.

Loro Piana Jackets & Trouser book 685 has three good patterns to consider

Basket weave
Herringbones
Dense twill weave in 5 shades of blue. Color doesn't come thru well but you can see
the weave
LP Twill.jpg

W.Bill Phoenix book has good choices of Barleycorn pattern in a few navy shades

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of using flannel as a jacket. Has a suit connotation. It has a fuzzy mill finish but no interesting texture for an odd jacket/blazer.
Doesn't work with that many types of cloth for trousers.
Navy flannel is a total lint magnet.

Loro Piana Jackets & Trouser book 685 has three good patterns to consider

Basket weave
Herringbones
Dense twill weave in 5 shades of blue. Color doesn't come thru well but you can see
the weave
View attachment 1440678
W.Bill Phoenix book has good choices of Barleycorn pattern in a few navy shades

thanks for the input! I really like that twill one!

I used to have a heavier doeskin blazer in high school that I wanted to try and re-create, but a little more on the casual and comfortable side

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score

I really like the Bateman-Ogden Apollo book, which might offer something appropriate. I had my blazer made in navy twill, but they also have each color in hopsack and barathea weaves at 415 - 430 grams.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good fall/winter weight flannel for a sport coat?

I don’t think I can bring myself to pull the trigger at Fox Bros price point (I’ll see what my tailor can get it for, but I’m not too optimistic it’ll be much cheaper...)
Hainsworth navy serge

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thanks for the input! I really like that twill one!

I used to have a heavier doeskin blazer in high school that I wanted to try and re-create, but a little more on the casual and comfortable side
Loro Piana isn’t the only company making a twill cloth like this. You can find it in other lines. Drapers has it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads