• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
I‘m getting this made up next:

View attachment 1432695

It‘s a navy blue herringbone in 100% cashmere from a random mill in Biella. I plan to get a SBPL sport coat, most likely with a single button. What do you guys recommend for pockets? I want a normal, welted breast pocket, but should I go with flapped, jetted or patch side pockets? The intended use is for evening wear, e.g. to a nice restaurant or cocktail party.

Hi Dan,

I would go with flapped side pockets which may be used in a slightly more casual attire, like with a turtleneck or with a cotton flannel polo shirt, whereas they could be tucked in during evenings with a non-casual shirt, w/ or w/o tie.

Cheers,

Dimitris

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1432695

It‘s a navy blue herringbone in 100% cashmere from a random mill in Biella. I plan to get a SBPL sport coat, most likely with a single button. What do you guys recommend for pockets? I want a normal, welted breast pocket, but should I go with flapped, jetted or patch side pockets? The intended use is for evening wear, e.g. to a nice restaurant or cocktail party.

Jetted.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 1432695

I would do jetted.

In theory, you can always tuck flaps, but I find I never do. I just end up forgetting or have one tucked and the other untucked. WIth an SBPL sport coat, I think that would look better with jetted pockets. Depending on the material, a tucked flap can also look kind of bulky.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
SBPL is a little more sleek than most, and this won't probably be an all-day/every-day jacket. Start with jetted.

dan'l

Reaction score
Thanks all for your feedback! Looks like 3 for jetted and 1 for flapped.

I guess I just need to be careful not to overstuff my pockets, to avoid the opening from stretching out over time. Then again with cashmere one needs to take care anyways, I suppose.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess I just need to be careful not to overstuff my pockets, to avoid the opening from stretching out over time. Then again with cashmere one needs to take care anyways, I suppose.
I have 12 navy/midnight blazer suit sbpl1b. Go with jetted. Don’t mind flaps if you’re gonna wear it in the morning but if it’s a dedicated evening jacket jetted

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

Dan,

I never want to change people's minds, I just give my opinion having always in mind what I would do for my own commissions!

Having said that, in my books herringbone was never a jacket's design for an "true" evening attire; even in a navy or midnight color, especially in this composition IMO it would always stand on the less formal area of the spectrum (which is not a bad thing!).

Should its composition be wool-silk, or even better, wool-mohair, 100% mohair, then yes, jetted pockets for a destined evening SBPL jacket would be the obvious choice.

Best,

Dimitris

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I never want to change people's minds, I just give my opinion having always in mind what I would do for my own commissions!

Having said that, in my books herringbone was never a jacket's design for an "true" evening attire; even in a navy or midnight color, especially in this composition IMO it would always stand on the less formal area of the spectrum (which is not a bad thing!).

^This
Not feeling this with peak lapels or the intended context of use. The cloth is lofty and will render a more relaxed casual feel, not an elegant evening jacket. This texture and pattern make a classy casual jacket.

Look at jacket styling of Corcos or Sartorio Cresent. Nice shaped notch, besom pockets, barchetta breast pocket.

dan'l

Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting feedback! I was leaning towards evening wear since it is 100% cashmere. But perhaps I need to reconsider the use.

@Despos, any reason you suggest besom instead of flapped? Aren‘t jetted pockets considered more „formal“ than flapped, which seems incongruent with your comment that the cloth is casual?

dan'l

Reaction score
@Despos, were you suggesting something like this (taken from Sartoria Crescent‘s website)?

4E4819E6-6233-40A1-BA32-1ACAF7429DC4.jpeg

I‘m wondering if it would look too much like an orphaned suit jacket.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That cloth will never look like or be perceived as a suiting.
Peak lapels would contribute to a suit jacket look since peaks on odd jackets aren’t as common.
Besom has a clean non traditional look on an odd jacket over flaps. Flaps are fine but will look conventional. You seem to want this jacket to be set apart from normal navy jacket and use it for specific events.
I’m just digging the look of besoms on jackets right now.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting feedback! I was leaning towards evening wear since it is 100% cashmere. But perhaps I need to reconsider the use.

@Despos, any reason you suggest besom instead of flapped? Aren‘t jetted pockets considered more „formal“ than flapped, which seems incongruent with your comment that the cloth is casual?
If this were a worsted spun cashmere it would be a different case. Understand you perceive cashmere to be elegant but this pattern and weave don’t give off that impression.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dan,

Should its composition be wool-silk, or even better, wool-mohair, 100% mohair, then yes, jetted pockets for a destined evening SBPL jacket would be the obvious choice.

Best,

Dimitris

abit of inspo for you. Midnight mohair herringbone suit sbpl 1b with crewneck sweater and flapped pockets. I’ll tuck
F960656B-0727-499C-BE04-4835359B2E12.jpeg
D143B453-7E3C-4FFF-AE53-CE39AE488BF1.jpeg
CBF4E43D-3940-4C38-882F-E0C444B7B5D1.jpeg
them in later...

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
abit of inspo for you. Midnight mohair herringbone suit sbpl 1b with crewneck sweater and flapped pockets. I’ll tuck View attachment 1433672 View attachment 1433673 View attachment 1433674 them in later...

My points exactly!

Differences with @dan'l 's case:

a) this is a suiting fabric, while Dan's is a jacketing one,
b) this is a mohair herringbone, whereas Dan's is a cashmere one,
and,
c) you already have an impressive 12-strong SBPL "niche" collection (and still growing!); does Dan really needs it?

Best,

Dimitris

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My points exactly!

Differences with @dan'l 's case:

a) this is a suiting fabric, while Dan's is a jacketing one,
b) this is a mohair herringbone, whereas Dan's is a cashmere one,
and,
c) you already have an impressive 12-strong SBPL "niche" collection (and still growing!); does Dan really needs it?

Best,

Dimitris
If i can get the navy silk herring bone of @edmorel Im gonna add another one to the collection

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads