• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thomas_M

Reaction score
I think Fox is coming out with a coating bunch that is wool and cashmere blend soon. If you can, wait for that.

Edit: Here's Doug with some samples. 50% Wool 50% Cashmere

Interesting, sounds really good!
That amount of cashmere should make a very nice fabric.
I can wait a bit, specially if I do not find something I really like in the meantime.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There was another serge that Fox had. All wool, and made up beautifully. Not sure if that is still in the coating collection.

FPB

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen. I would like opinions on what would work better for a Harrington/blouson jacket: 100% silk or a 10% silk 90% wool blend. I found 2 similar jackets I really like, and considering the price (each is ~$700) I will only be buying one. I don't really care about warmth, but I do care about wear. I've read conflicting opinions about which is more durable. Wool jackets I've owned seem prone to shiny elbows after little wear. I've never actually owned a 100% silk jacket. Also, any thoughts on which fabric might resist stains better? Any other thoughts on wool vs. silk? Unfortunately I need to order online so I cannot try anything on first. Thank you.

dukeaw

Reaction score
I just picked up my Spence Bryson tropical navy and tobacco linen suits from my tailor.
It was 90 degrees. I started the day in a wool sport coat and was sweltering. Once I put these on I was amazingly comfortable. I believe they are about ~12oz
I'd like to thank @The Chai for the fabric recommendation

IMG_1667.jpg
IMG_1658.jpg

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen. I would like opinions on what would work better for a Harrington/blouson jacket: 100% silk or a 10% silk 90% wool blend. I found 2 similar jackets I really like, and considering the price (each is ~$700) I will only be buying one. I don't really care about warmth, but I do care about wear. I've read conflicting opinions about which is more durable. Wool jackets I've owned seem prone to shiny elbows after little wear. I've never actually owned a 100% silk jacket. Also, any thoughts on which fabric might resist stains better? Any other thoughts on wool vs. silk? Unfortunately I need to order online so I cannot try anything on first. Thank you.

Hard to say without direct experience with those specific cloths. How a fabric feels and performs over time is going to be about more than just its fiber composition. It can include how the fibers were treated before they were spun, how they were spun, how the fabric was woven, and how it was finished.

If you're buying from a good store or seller, they may be able to guide you.

konstantis

Reaction score
I just picked up my Spence Bryson tropical navy and tobacco linen suits from my tailor.
It was 90 degrees. I started the day in a wool sport coat and was sweltering. Once I put these on I was amazingly comfortable. I believe they are about ~12oz

View attachment 1411957 View attachment 1411956
Congratulations . May i ask the reference numbers of both colours ? Thank you.

FPB

Reaction score
Hard to say without direct experience with those specific cloths. How a fabric feels and performs over time is going to be about more than just its fiber composition. It can include how the fibers were treated before they were spun, how they were spun, how the fabric was woven, and how it was finished.

If you're buying from a good store or seller, they may be able to guide you.

Good points, thank you.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 1411956
Oxblood shoes and that blue suit will rule!

sensuki

Reaction score
I have a question regarding flannels that people here will probably be able to help with

I currently have two pairs of grey woollen flannels, at 240g and 340g and I live in Melbourne Australia. Winters here aren't the coldest but I'm finding that the 240 and 340g are a better weight for autumn than it is for winter. There have been a couple of instances where I've been inside a heated room and the 340g have felt a bit hot, but otherwise they've been fine indoors and not quite warm enough outside in the winter (particularly at night). The 340g are lined with cupro which feels quite cool against the skin, whereas the 240g are unlined and often feel warmer across the thigh when there's no wind/air movement.

I was thinking of ordering a heavier weight purely for winter. The maker I am going to see next week carries Fox and Caccioppoli ... I've heard that the Fox 370g isn't so good, and it's probably not much of an upgrade from the 340 that I already have. Then there's the 540g - I've seen people warn not to go this high due to indoor heating. Caccioppoli seem to do a 340 and 460g woollen, although the 460 looks a bit 'smooth' to me in the photos.

I have a swatch of Minnis 475g which looks good, and I've heard good things about apart from the fact that it's 'stiff'.

This maker also carries the Dakota book, so maybe I might just get some whipcords instead ...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a question regarding flannels that people here will probably be able to help with

I currently have two pairs of grey woollen flannels, at 240g and 340g and I live in Melbourne Australia. Winters here aren't the coldest but I'm finding that the 240 and 340g are a better weight for autumn than it is for winter. There have been a couple of instances where I've been inside a heated room and the 340g have felt a bit hot, but otherwise they've been fine indoors and not quite warm enough outside in the winter (particularly at night). The 340g are lined with cupro which feels quite cool against the skin, whereas the 240g are unlined and often feel warmer across the thigh when there's no wind/air movement.

I was thinking of ordering a heavier weight purely for winter. The maker I am going to see next week carries Fox and Caccioppoli ... I've heard that the Fox 370g isn't so good, and it's probably not much of an upgrade from the 340 that I already have. Then there's the 540g - I've seen people warn not to go this high due to indoor heating. Caccioppoli seem to do a 340 and 460g woollen, although the 460 looks a bit 'smooth' to me in the photos.

I have a swatch of Minnis 475g which looks good, and I've heard good things about apart from the fact that it's 'stiff'.

This maker also carries the Dakota book, so maybe I might just get some whipcords instead ...

I think a heavy woolen flannel is more insulating than whipcord.

I have a few pairs of heavy woolen flannels. Something about the way they hang and look makes me pass them up though. I just end up wearing baselayers instead when I need to stay warm. For a while, when I live in Moscow, I got away with heavy baselayers and basically 14oz flannels.

If your trousers are cut very slim, maybe they'd catch. For a more classic cut though, they're fine.

sensuki

Reaction score
yeah I have large calves so usually have a 21-22cm leg opening. I've got some over the calf wool socks that I wear in the winter that definitely helps a bit.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yeah I have large calves so usually have a 21-22cm leg opening

I would just try a pair of wool baselayers then. I wear Smartwool, but you can also get them from Ibex, Patagonia, Icebreakers, Duckworth, Woolpower, etc. Uniqlo's Heat Tech line is also great for a budget option. Woolx has a super duper heavyweight option. I have a pair and find they're only wearable on the absolute coldest of days. Too warm for indoors; more for outdoor activities like camping.

sensuki

Reaction score
I'd consider it if I could find one that had a high enough rise, but otherwise I'm still interested in getting some thicker/warmer trousers - that drape yo

zr3rs

Reaction score
There is a slight difference between the Fox 370 and 400g. I can recommend the 400g, it drapes better and is great for moderate winter. Trousers should be cut loosely, otherwise you have to press them regularly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads