• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rjkabk

Reaction score
Definitely interested in Harrisons Premier Cru. The Charcoal and the next darkest grey look about what I'm looking for. Will have to see them in person. I have considered nailhead in the past, but for this suit, I'm looking for something more dressy like the sharkskin. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Out of curiosity do you still have any presence in Dallas? Or, if not, any recommendations for suit tailors in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Thanks again![/QUOTE]

konstantis

Reaction score
Definitely interest ested in Harrisons Premier Cru. The Charcoal and the next darkest grey look about what I'm looking for. Will have to see them in person. I have considered nailhead in the past, but for this suit, I'm looking for something more dressy like the sharkskin. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Out of curiosity do you still have any presence in Dallas? Or, if not, any recommendations for suit tailors in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Thanks again!
[/QUOTE]
Dugdale English & Town Classics has greys and navy’s sharkskins. Also Huddersfield Fine Worsted (Gladson) has sharkskins in their Classic II bunch.

konstantis

Reaction score
These are from Harrisons Premier Cru. If your tailor can get Ariston then he can get Harrisons; same distributor. 330g, 11 ounce, small touch of cashmere. One of my favorite cloths to make up. This is part of the sharkskin range, also a range of blues. Comparison of the shades of grey. Charcoal on the left to a rich dark brown on the far right.
View attachment 1401022
Use this cloth the most from this book and worth a look. Dark grey nailhead. Great dark grey multi purpose suit. A step less dressy than sharkskin but I think that adds to the versatility. Picture isn't accurate; it is darker than the picture renders and has less contrast of colors, but you get the idea.
View attachment 1401023
May I ask your personal preference about sharkskin and nailhead? I am thinking of making two suits : One dark grey and one navy. For the gray I have decide to go with a grey sharkskin but I can’t decide which pattern to use for the navy. What is your point of view between navy sharkskin vs navy nailhead ? Do you think one colour is looking better than the other for nailhead pattern ? Thank you once again.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Navy nailhead (or birdseye, which some would call that pattern) won’t be quite so dressy as navy sharkskin, but it will be a bit more so than the grey birdseye. The color is a bit more uniform, so while it may feel very relaxed, it won’t have such an obvious texture. I have a DB suit made from navy birdseye Golden Bale, and it does quite well whenever I need a dressy suit for the evening.

sensuki

Reaction score
I think you've misinterpreted my point. I'm saying that jeans look better when they don't fit well. (Putting a sharper point on it, but that's generally what I'm saying). The leg twisting, the crumpled seat, the stretching, the rough fading, etc are all part of what makes jeans look like jeans.

This is the clean fit on the back of Chad Prom's jeans. Aside from the color, these just end up looking like dad jeans. I think that would be true even if they were darker.

Late to the party here. I own a few Chad Prom jean models (along with the cords, flannels and pleated cotton trousers). I've tried all of the jeans except the original model. I didn't like the Largo (their latest one), ordered it and returned it.

I have the dark wash pair of the light wash jeans in the original post and it is hands down the best pair of jeans I have owned. I loved them so much I ordered a second pair, and I don't wear mine with a jacket. I think your issue is with the styling photos.

Here, Steve Calder wears the same pair that I have (the dark wash) in a different style

My first pair is over 2 years old and is beat to ****. The seat was a touch snug initially but it stretched out after a few weeks - the most noticeable thing about the pair in the photos is the cut of the leg, it stands out above everything else (rise, seat etc). I think it looks great and it's also super comfortable (no more tapered jeans for me). The fading on mine isn't as pretty as a lot of the selvedge denim I have seen, however.

konstantis

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made an overcoat from Marling Evans undyed collection ? I have some swatches at 24/25 oz and they are really beautiful. I was thinking something in a large scale herringbone as the attached photo. What’s the members opinion ? Thanks.
Anyone ?

konstantis

Reaction score
Marling & Evans has the Naturals collection, with undyed wool at 360g for jacketing and 720g for coating. Collection not online currently but you can see some in their facebook posts and their IG View attachment 1342732 .

We have the book, but in the shop, and I write from home.

I have a coat made by our company (Kent Wang) in a M&E large format brown and gray check that everyone remarks upon.
May i ask how you find the undyed collection of Marling Evans ? I am thinking to commit a project for a jacket and an overcoat. Thank you.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I don’t have one, but they are on my shortlist if I decide to get one made up. Not at that weight, though, that would be insane for San Francisco :)

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B&Tailor had some Marling Evans stuff in RTW last fall. I think the bolder stuff works better as overcoating than jacketing, but it skews a bit light - the white pulls the color pretty light

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are from Harrisons Premier Cru. If your tailor can get Ariston then he can get Harrisons; same distributor. 330g, 11 ounce, small touch of cashmere. One of my favorite cloths to make up. This is part of the sharkskin range, also a range of blues. Comparison of the shades of grey. Charcoal on the left to a rich dark brown on the far right.
View attachment 1401022
Use this cloth the most from this book and worth a look. Dark grey nailhead. Great dark grey multi purpose suit. A step less dressy than sharkskin but I think that adds to the versatility. Picture isn't accurate; it is darker than the picture renders and has less contrast of colors, but you get the idea.
View attachment 1401023
While not a great picture, I wore this Despos navy Harrisons Premier Cru recently. I love it for important, evening social events.
1591741116380.jpeg

aaronatKW

Reaction score
May i ask how you find the undyed collection of Marling Evans ? I am thinking to commit a project for a jacket and an overcoat. Thank you.

I posted a photo of my Marling & Evans Natural Collection coat back here. I like it a lot. It is rather warm, since the thick cloth is such good insulation. Note that the collection includes 360g jacketing and 720g coating. The supersize patterns are in the coating. The jacketing patterns, the herringbones and diamond weaves etc, are the size you would expect.

konstantis

Reaction score
I posted a photo of my Marling & Evans Natural Collection coat back here. I like it a lot. It is rather warm, since the thick cloth is such good insulation. Note that the collection includes 360g jacketing and 720g coating. The supersize patterns are in the coating. The jacketing patterns, the herringbones and diamond weaves etc, are the size you would expect.
I have swatches of all the weights and patterns. I like it because it reminds me an old school cloth. Just wondering how you find the quality of the cloth. Beautiful cost by the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads