• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you’re talking about the flannel FdL, it is fully subscribed and I’m in for two lengths. Not sure about the mohair FdL.
He was asking about a worsted herringbone, which might or might not be a replay of the dark grey R&T from a couple years ago. I did that one already, along with the "RAF" (really midnight/sapphire) incarnation.

I also have 2 lengths of the flannel and mohair coming. :cool:

driving glove

Reaction score
I recognise the curve on the extended front waist tab of those trousers, Brax. Less so the al fresco atelier.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He was asking about a worsted herringbone, which might or might not be a replay of the dark grey R&T from a couple years ago. I did that one already, along with the "RAF" (really midnight/sapphire) incarnation.

I also have 2 lengths of the flannel and mohair coming. :cool:

Is there any cloth leftover from the last subscription? Prince Tweed or Blue Blazer

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recognise the curve on the extended front waist tab of those trousers, Brax. Less so the al fresco atelier.
Yeah. If you recognized my sister’s house, I’d have some serious questions for you. ?

Downtown protests required alternate atelier.

paborden

Reaction score
Is there any cloth leftover from the last subscription? Prince Tweed or Blue Blazer

I'm sure someone will have some extra prince tweed - it is very bold and no doubt some people will lose interest

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The green one, or the Cheviot re-do of the more grey/fawn one?

rjkabk

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations from certain merchants and mills for my next suit. I plan on going with a dark grey/light charcoal sharkskin suit. I'd like recommendations on either individual fabrics or books to look at. My tailor has access to the following mills and merchants: Scabal, Dormeuil, Loro Piana, Ariston, Zegna, Gladson New York, Holland and Sherry and VBC. I'm not interested in a black and white sharksin, but preferably something where the fabric is a charcoal grey and then a light or mid grey. So the effect is a dark grey or light charcoal. If a particular fabric had some blue mottled in there that would be great as well. I live in the American South where it is hot, however I also work in an old building. It does a great job of keeping me cool in the summer, it does a terrible job in the winter. That being said, heavier weight fabrics have never really bothered me. I'm thinking sharkskin because I like the surface interest, but any conservative suiting fabric with different greys and blue mottled together might work as an alternative. Thanks for any help in advance!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations from certain merchants and mills for my next suit. I plan on going with a dark grey/light charcoal sharkskin suit. I'd like recommendations on either individual fabrics or books to look at. My tailor has access to the following mills and merchants: Scabal, Dormeuil, Loro Piana, Ariston, Zegna, Gladson New York, Holland and Sherry and VBC. I'm not interested in a black and white sharksin, but preferably something where the fabric is a charcoal grey and then a light or mid grey. So the effect is a dark grey or light charcoal. If a particular fabric had some blue mottled in there that would be great as well. I live in the American South where it is hot, however I also work in an old building. It does a great job of keeping me cool in the summer, it does a terrible job in the winter. That being said, heavier weight fabrics have never really bothered me. I'm thinking sharkskin because I like the surface interest, but any conservative suiting fabric with different greys and blue mottled together might work as an alternative. Thanks for any help in advance!

I'd take a look at the Fresco books (good for hot weather) from Gladson, Holland and Sherry Cape Horn has a shade that splits mid-grey and charcoal (although its not sharkskin), and I'm sure the VBC perennial collection has some as well. You can view a few books on the Hall Madden website and on the HK fabric merchants Merino Bros (although you may have to use your browsers translate function).

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Sharkskin is one of the most quintessentially British cloths so my first thought was Lessers. After taking a look, I can only find one in their Golden Bale book at 13oz. which sounds like a perfect wight for you and the hand is probably amazing, but I bet its very pricey. If that's not a problem I'd go for that. The ultimate British sharkskin.

Looks like Dugdale have several in multiple weights and colors. All good options.

I'm seeing a lot of pin dot's in the Lesser's and Smith's books any of which would accomplish what your'e after although its a bit different to sharkskin.

Last edited:

blueberry7

Reaction score
Hi,

How do you like this cloth?
IMG_20180115_105740674.jpg

It is from Bateman Ogden's Westminster II book, no. 972

rjkabk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely look at Fresco from Gladson and Holland and Sherry Cape Horn. Although I'd love to have a suit made from Lessers, it doesn't appear my tailor has access to it, and in any event for this suit pricey is fine, but I'm not going for very pricey.

Blueberry7 Its hard to tell from the picture, but that appears in the ballpark. Still don't think my tailor has access to Bateman Ogden.

This picture from the permanent style blog is very close to what I'm looking for. Although it looks different in different pictures depending on the lighting. I picked the one that best represented what I was going for.

Camps-de-Luca-suit-Paris-embroidery-467x700.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi,

These are from Harrisons Premier Cru. If your tailor can get Ariston then he can get Harrisons; same distributor. 330g, 11 ounce, small touch of cashmere. One of my favorite cloths to make up. This is part of the sharkskin range, also a range of blues. Comparison of the shades of grey. Charcoal on the left to a rich dark brown on the far right.
PC Sharkskin.jpg

Use this cloth the most from this book and worth a look. Dark grey nailhead. Great dark grey multi purpose suit. A step less dressy than sharkskin but I think that adds to the versatility. Picture isn't accurate; it is darker than the picture renders and has less contrast of colors, but you get the idea.
PC NH.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads