• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

konstantis

Reaction score
He basically said its not as easy to work with as wool. pressed in creases dont iron out as easily. They're able to take in fabric during the fittings but want to avoid letting out fabric. Limited basting stitching because they will leave more permanent marks. Its a fabric they can still work well with, just with more care than wool.
Thank you. I am thinking to start a new project the next days and I am between earth or coffee shade of Spence Bryson’s Tropical range.

paborden

Reaction score
Speaking of tweeds, I am thinking of getting this.

1590761715447.png

My girlfriend is presently trying to talk me out of it, says it looks like a carpet from the 70s, but there's something I find quite charming about it.

dukeaw

Reaction score

View attachment 1397212

My girlfriend is presently trying to talk me out of it, says it looks like a carpet from the 70s, but there's something I find quite charming about it.
Its the orange undertones that make it very 70's. No comment on how it fits your aesthetic though

paborden

Reaction score
Its the orange undertones that make it very 70's. No comment on how it fits your aesthetic though

I would say that it doesn't but that's not a bad thing necessarily. I'm venturing into new territory here but I have really started digging some of these types of tweeds, whether you call them traditional or psychedelic lol. But because of the newness of this I am kind of tentative. I don't want to have a repeat of the one time I bought monk straps experience.

To give you an idea, this is the next commission. One I wasn't originally going to go through with but now probably will. Then again, maybe my brain is starting to rot from all the islay scotch consumed during the quarantine.

1590763701186.png

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more anachronistic the tweed the better imo.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say that it doesn't but that's not a bad thing necessarily. I'm venturing into new territory here but I have really started digging some of these types of tweeds, whether you call them traditional or psychedelic lol. But because of the newness of this I am kind of tentative. I don't want to have a repeat of the one time I bought monk straps experience.

To give you an idea, this is the next commission. One I wasn't originally going to go through with but now probably will. Then again, maybe my brain is starting to rot from all the islay scotch consumed during the quarantine.

View attachment 1397225
I think this is more wearable than the former. Imo the other one is quite ugly

yanagi

Reaction score
I think it is supposed to be ugly

A very warm, golden brown tweed with orange and yellow double overchecks? I don't see anything wrong with it.

To be clear, I wouldn't wear it because I think it wouldn't work with my skin tone. But if it works for you and you like it, why not?

I second @The Chai and feel the second, lovat-ish green is wearable by more people.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would be careful of commissioning a fall/ winter jacket in such a warm color. IME, they're not always easy to wear with grey trousers. You sometimes need a brighter color in your trousers to match the jacket, but that's not easy in the cooler months.

paborden

Reaction score
I would be careful of commissioning a fall/ winter jacket in such a warm color. IME, they're not always easy to wear with grey trousers. You sometimes need a brighter color in your trousers to match the jacket, but that's not easy in the cooler months.

That is good advice. I wasn't thinking about trousers at all and while this might work with light wash denim I can't think of much else suitable.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is good advice. I wasn't thinking about trousers at all and while this might work with light wash denim I can't think of much else suitable.

Hm, I personally wouldn't wear that with light wash denim. I suppose it's hard to know until you see the combo. One of the problems with more adventurous designs in bespoke.

I'm not really a fan of the fabric, to be honest. But if I had to choose a pair of trousers, I would go with a khaki color that has a slightly warm undertone, like this 675052 fabric

66495007_1232521503594267_5781687641556002957_n.jpg

That's a warmer shade than this khaki, which I think is too cold for that fabric you choose

l1586zl4z7j31.jpg

IMO, all the reason to just avoid this entirely and get a fabric that's easier to wear.

I think it's useful to pay attention to the strength of the color. Vibrancy, warmth, saturation, etc. All those play a role in how strong a color looks.

A suit like this will be easier to break into separates, depending on the material (let's pretend this is something like linen)

Screen-Shot-2018-09-06-at-4.00.04-PM-813x1024.jpg

A suit like this, on the other hand, will be harder. (Again, let's pretend this is linen). The jacket ends up being too strong for most pants.

57110033_2109138396050068_123269401366798571_n.jpg

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1397212

Snap. Sitting in my unfunded liabilities pile. What mill is yours from?

99ECCD1F-49C8-4A42-B490-393EE664C60D.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads