• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SpaceFunk

Reaction score
Go darker burgundy. There are wools that are burgundy/black. I make them as suits or jackets. When it's that dark it's more sophisticated but can be accessorized as you like. Made many more as jackets and only a few as suits. Everybody replied the same. They wore it and liked it more than they expected to.
You can't dress up the lighter, brighter burgundy shade as well as you can make the darker more casual.

Thank you for the great advice. I agree that the darker it is, the more sophisticated it can be, and it gives you more space to be creative around it (shoes/accessories), as opposed to a lighter shade which will pigeonhole you into a smaller number of outfits. Now I'm kind of regretting one of my red linen suits made from Dugdale Natural Elements..

On that note, would a darker shade of burgundy fabric work more easily as a transition suit, the awkward period between summer to autumn and winter to spring, than a lighter shade which would probably only ever work in Summer/Spring and maybe Autumn? Heck, could dark burgundy be a 4 season suit??

Could you send me some photos of your work? I would love to see it in context.

Burgundy makes a terrific odd trouser. I might start there before committing to a full suit. Pretty sure the Crispaire book has one.

That's a great idea. I'm torn between getting a burgundy suit (which I could then potentially break up), or just a burgundy jacket and odd trouser, like cream/off-white.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a great idea. I'm torn between getting a burgundy suit (which I could then potentially break up), or just a burgundy jacket and odd trouser, like cream/off-white.

ce0d89a15b768f1c3801ab084445a382.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tried taking a pic of a burgundy suit we are making now but can't get the color to come thru. Will try in different light.
Cloth is from Caccopolli.

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a few shirts made in that fabric

I get that, but what benefit are you looking to get out of the Rayon over cotton, linen, or cotton-linen?

Incidentally, I found the perfect dinner jacket fabric for you. 54/46 Mohair/ linen...

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get that, but what benefit are you looking to get out of the Rayon over cotton, linen, or cotton-linen?

Incidentally, I found the perfect dinner jacket fabric for you. 54/46 Mohair/ linen...
Dunno. Kinda like the textures of the fabric I have seen in that composition for one and I read that rayon makes good shirting fabric as it drapes well, doesn’t crease much and it’s breathable so wanted to see if there’s a consensus on that. What size is the jacket? I assume the cloth is the Harrison’s mersolair? Rn my new dj idea is a two tone navy Harrison’s cape kid mohair with black shantung lapels...

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...also I absolutely dislike cotton poplin for a shirt...

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So weird question for weird times, but my mother has been making masks for the family and I've been wondering about cool fabrics. Anywhere I could source small quantities of, say, Japanese boro?

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So weird question for weird times, but my mother has been making masks for the family and I've been wondering about cool fabrics. Anywhere I could source small quantities of, say, Japanese boro?
Bansyo

ZRH1

Reaction score
Burgundy makes a terrific odd trouser. I might start there before committing to a full suit. Pretty sure the Crispaire book has one.

thanks, have the Crispaire as a trouser but it is quite odd. Have a darker burgundy in flanell from Holland Sherry (7718211), which is darker and hence much nicer.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Dunno. Kinda like the textures of the fabric I have seen in that composition for one and I read that rayon makes good shirting fabric as it drapes well, doesn’t crease much and it’s breathable so wanted to see if there’s a consensus on that. What size is the jacket? I assume the cloth is the Harrison’s mersolair? Rn my new dj idea is a two tone navy Harrison’s cape kid mohair with black shantung lapels...

I really like rayon and rayon blends. I have pajamas in rayon-linen, a few pairs of rayon trousers, and lots of rayon shirts. The material drapes differently than cotton or linen.

Merchant & Mills has rayon. Personally think their linen-rayons are the best, but they come in limited colors at the moment.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Merchant & Mills has rayon. Personally think their linen-rayons are the best, but they come in limited colors at the moment.
@dieworkwear

Do you know when we can expect to see more colors and what they might be? ;)

emptym

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for mills/merchants that do Cotton (usually with Silk/Wool/Linen, or any combination of them). I find a fair amount of these in RTW (Cucinelli often do Cotton/Silk/Wool and Cotton/Silk/Linen jackets), but I can't seem to find bunches with them in very easily?
Drapers has some, such as this
IMG_5487.jpeg

Pics of the finished jacket, here.
One of my favorite shirts ever was a heavy rayon one in the late 80s. Very soft and drapy. If I were an artist, I'd wear shirts like that all the time. Looked like the fabrics DWW linked.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear

Do you know when we can expect to see more colors and what they might be? ;)

They buy the leftovers from other people's runs, so it just depends on when someone runs that fabric and what colors they choose. Years ago, they had a linen-rayon blend that I thought was really nice. I think it felt a little silkier than pure linen, but it also had more body than pure rayon. Later, when they brought some more linen-rayon blends, I felt the weave wasn't as chunky and didn't have the same slubby character. Still, I think the fabric is nice. Their pure rayon feels like washed silk. Also a nice fabric, but I think the linen-rayon stuff was particularly good.

With the Covid crisis, who knows when they'll get more of that specific fabric. I imagine some brands may have canceled orders, which probably affects jobbers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads