• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He said Harrisons, but I don't know the exact bunch.

Mersolair 28146 might work for you, but it may be a little more grey than oatmeal. I dont have the book in front of me to check, but I should have it soon and can post a pic for you.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know the mock leno is more of a blazer fabric than the ordinary fresco weave (which ismore ofa suit fabric, I reckon), but do any of you support the idea of a fresco blazer. Or is it just too suit-ish?
Choose the color and the style well, and it should work OK. Patch pockets, perhaps.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cue discussion of fresco 0520, the original and definitive choice for a blazersuit, which is primarily useful for people that need a versatile work travel suit/sport coat. Its never my first choice at home base when i reach for a sport coat, but great for versatility on the road.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Or a similar color glen check, like Alden’s Brisa. Make trousers and you can dress it up a little. Blue/black puppytooth could also work well.

Last edited:

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for where I can find something like this? While rummaging through my old swatches the other day, I found this swatch card for a 390 gram linen that was specially woven about five years ago. Unfortunately, it's no longer available. Does anyone know of a heavy linen with this oatmeal color and a lot of texture? Not looking for those smooth linens you normally see in W Bill type books. Something more like a chunky hopsack, but in a heavy linen.

View attachment 1359555
View attachment 1359556

Derek, @luxire has a heavy weight ecru linen that I really like. It may be possible to have them send you a couple of meters. No idea on the mill but the cloth is excellent.
https://luxire.com/products/linen_natural_ecru_heavy_vintage?_pos=3&_sid=7b807b0ee&_ss=r#/

My pants:
A7EA81C1-ADCB-4609-9617-FFB6B858D234.jpeg

-DL

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lurking chalkstripe woollen flannels for next Winter.

Anthony Eden.jpg

Aristotle Onassis.jpg

My first option would be the old Minnis at the perfect weight of 400 gms, which unfortunately is not produced anymore save special runs. @kolecho any run planned of our beloved ye olde Minnis flannel?

Old Minnis Charcoal Chalkstripe Flannel 0315.jpg

Harrison's makes something very slightly heavier than may fit the bill but haven't heard many opinions about it over here:

Harrison's Charcoal Chalkstripe Flannel 39238 now 39354.jpg

New Minnis woolen version is too heavy for my purpose at 435 gms. Only 15 gms heavier than the Harrison's but feels much more. I have trousers made of this range and they hold up very well but I know that for a suit (coat) it would be too heavy to wear. The 370 gms version of Minnis is fyi worsted flannel, so I discard it.

510012.jpg

The Fox is probably the default/easier option but it's been discussed here about the durability and it seems it's not the best in this sense. It's the lightest of the 4 at 370-400 gms.

79998915_152408456057881_3368238928535695315_n.jpg

What would be your election and why?

Other suggestions are more than welcome.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1360768

View attachment 1360769

My first option would be the old Minnis at the perfect weight of 400 gms, which unfortunately is not produced anymore save special runs. @kolecho any run planned of our beloved ye olde Minnis flannel?

View attachment 1360766

Harrison's makes something very slightly heavier than may fit the bill but haven't heard many opinions about it over here:

View attachment 1360767

New Minnis woolen version is too heavy for my purpose at 435 gms. Only 15 gms heavier than the Harrison's but feels much more. I have trousers made of this range and they hold up very well but I know that for a suit (coat) it would be too heavy to wear. The 370 gms version of Minnis is fyi worsted flannel, so I discard it.

510012.jpg

The Fox is probably the default/easier option but it's been discussed here about the durability and it seems it's not the best in this sense. It's the lightest of the 4 at 370-400 gms.

Why don't you email them to see if they still have bolts of the old minnis left over?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having my cream silk loro piana made into a dinner jacket...sbpl 1b with covered buttons and double vents...and having a chocolate brown black linen herringbone sports jacket...3 roll 2 with 2 inverted pleat patch pockets and a cran necker lapel

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1360768

View attachment 1360769

View attachment 1360766

View attachment 1360767

510012.jpg

Probably lighter than you want, but Drapers has very nice chalkstripe options in grey and navy. I used a grey one for a suit that Steed made for me. No Man use grey and navy for Formosa suits a couple years ago.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having my cream silk loro piana made into a dinner jacket...sbpl 1b with covered buttons and double vents...and having a chocolate brown black linen herringbone sports jacket...3 roll 2 with 2 inverted pleat patch pockets and a cran necker lapel

That linen herringbone sounds like a very interesting cloth. Do you have any other info on it? In any case, looking forward to seeing the results.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1360768

View attachment 1360769

View attachment 1360766

View attachment 1360767

510012.jpg

I was considering a similar comission for this fall. I was talking to Michael Alden over at london lounge about getting a navy wide unapologetic chalk stripe run going. It might be too heavy for you, I believe itd be 480 grams. My second choice is Fox Heritage flannel 480/510 grams (17/18 oz). But, again, might be too heavy for you.

If you want a lightweight flannel (and price isnt an issue), go for the Lumbs Golden Bale Navy Chalkstripe. Fox, Harrisons, Minnis are also good. I looked at a Standeven that I was tempted by - I believe that had a light blue chalk stripe, which looked quite nice, at least in the fabric book. Drapers also has a nice flannel as well (I remember them having a lightweight gray chalk stripe which I liked).

Oh, and when I say lightweight flannel, I am thinking anything other 450 grams.

I believe @Alan Bee has a chalk stripe in the Harrisons bunch that you just mentioned. Actually, if I recall correctly, his is in the Archive Flannel book, which I liked much more than the standard Harrisons Flannel book.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was considering a similar comission for this fall. I was talking to Michael Alden over at london lounge about getting a navy wide unapologetic chalk stripe run going. It might be too heavy for you, I believe itd be 480 grams. My second choice is Fox Heritage flannel 480/510 grams (17/18 oz). But, again, might be too heavy for you.

If you want a lightweight flannel (and price isnt an issue), go for the Lumbs Golden Bale Navy Chalkstripe. Fox, Harrisons, Minnis are also good. I looked at a Standeven that I was tempted by - I believe that had a light blue chalk stripe, which looked quite nice, at least in the fabric book. Drapers also has a nice flannel as well (I remember them having a lightweight gray chalk stripe which I liked).

Oh, and when I say lightweight flannel, I am thinking anything other 450 grams.

I believe @Alan Bee has a chalk stripe in the Harrisons bunch that you just mentioned. Actually, if I recall correctly, his is in the Archive Flannel book, which I liked much more than the standard Harrisons Flannel book.

Thank you.

Will have a look at Standeven and Drapers. The others are too heavy or too delicate/expensive (Lumbs Golden Bale).

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That linen herringbone sounds like a very interesting cloth. Do you have any other info on it? In any case, looking forward to seeing the results.
It’s from Spence Bryson glin collection. 300grams

paborden

Reaction score

View attachment 1360768

View attachment 1360769

View attachment 1360766

View attachment 1360767

510012.jpg

I've been eyeing the new anglo italian flannels actually

paborden

Reaction score
PS does anyone know where to buy navy terry cloth? I am contemplating having a navy terry cloth jacket made for the beach

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads