• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a length of lightweight wool-silk cav twill from Ed awhile ago. I Sarti is making it into trousers now. It’s very lightweight and breezy. Should be nice once it warms up here. Assuming I ever have to leave the house for work again.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I got a length of lightweight wool-silk cav twill from Ed awhile ago. I Sarti is making it into trousers now. It’s very lightweight and breezy. Should be nice once it warms up here. Assuming I ever have to leave the house for work again.

I like the sound of these.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on good corduroy books other than Brisbane Moss? I'm looking to get something like Vox's below (in his IG post he says it is an 8-wale)

Here you go. These are cotton-cashmere blends, so a little softer and more pliable than pure cotton. All from Loro Piana's Cotton Time book. I'm including the other colors here. Also, the usual word of warning: I didn't color correct these and the colors may show up slightly differently on your screen. I think these are within the ballpark of accurate representation, but you should get swatches if you're interested

These are all 90% cotton, 10% cashmere. 390gr/mt

#602055. A very pale tan:

IMG_7978.JPG

#602056. Slightly darker in real life. More of a wheat color.

IMG_7970.JPG

#602058. A mossy olive. Really nice color, I think.

IMG_7954.JPG

# 602059. A mid-blue

IMG_7959.JPG

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for where I can find something like this? While rummaging through my old swatches the other day, I found this swatch card for a 390 gram linen that was specially woven about five years ago. Unfortunately, it's no longer available. Does anyone know of a heavy linen with this oatmeal color and a lot of texture? Not looking for those smooth linens you normally see in W Bill type books. Something more like a chunky hopsack, but in a heavy linen.

IMG_7981.JPG

IMG_7990.JPG

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for where I can find something like this? While rummaging through my old swatches the other day, I found this swatch card for a 390 gram linen that was specially woven about five years ago. Unfortunately, it's no longer available. Does anyone know of a heavy linen with this oatmeal color and a lot of texture? Not looking for those smooth linens you normally see in W Bill type books. Something more like a chunky hopsack, but in a heavy linen.

View attachment 1359555
View attachment 1359556

Not as chunky as this but I have a suit made up in "natural" Lisburn Irish linen from Dugdale, circa 350g. It's more porous and has more surface interest than standard Irish linens.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Only two meters. :(

That fabric seems like it would make for a funky odd jacket. Maybe it can work, but with so many better options, and limited closet space, it seems like resources could be better allocated.

I think I'm in the minority on this, but I find it's usually a bad idea to buy offcuts on eBay.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear any idea of the mohair/linen George mentions in your (very good) spring tailoring article? Mersolair perhaps? Though I do believe they've purged that composition from the book in recent iterations.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear any idea of the mohair/linen George mentions in your (very good) spring tailoring article? Mersolair perhaps? Though I do believe they've purged that composition from the book in recent iterations.

He said Harrisons, but I don't know the exact bunch.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1359555
View attachment 1359556

I don't have any bunches on hand, but Dugdale's Lisburn bunch has a similar cloth. So does Harrisons Mersolair, although their web scans aren't great. Caccioppoli's cotton/linen bunch has a cloth like that as well.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a length of linen nearly identical to that in appearance a few months ago at an upholstery shop. It's like 25 oz, really open weave, and it got very soft after I washed it a couple times. Excited to have it made into a shirt jacket or something like that.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How see through is Minnis navy mock leno?

What about regular Minnis fresco (11oz)?

I know the mock leno is more of a blazer fabric than the ordinary fresco weave (which ismore ofa suit fabric, I reckon), but do any of you support the idea of a fresco blazer. Or is it just too suit-ish?

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither are particularly see-through when you're wearing them (except under flash photography).

Mock Leno: jacket only
Fresco: best as suit (smoother texture, darker colors), but can make a good jacket in the right color. There's a kind of steely navy in the classic Fresco bunch that makes a nice jacket.

A lot of other good high twist, open weave cloths out there worth consideration, too. Smith's Finmeresco is

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads