• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Concordia. Point taken: I'll eliminate the finmeresco and focus on the mock leno or leno weave. I'll look at the Spring Ram as well. Please do let me know, if you remember, how it feels in the fitting.
I’d say the 4 ply is also a suiting fabric, no? My understanding is that, while 4 ply is breathable, it still runs hot on hot summer days.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of the Italian mills have loosely woven linen, which can look nice but is aiming for something different. I have an old wool/silk/linen tweed; one of my first jackets from Hitchcock, as it happens. Pretty good through an English spring, and parts of the summer as well. But it's not really built for maximum coolness in the dog days.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Concordia. Point taken: I'll eliminate the finmeresco and focus on the mock leno or leno weave. I'll look at the Spring Ram as well. Please do let me know, if you remember, how it feels in the fitting.
Now it appears they have completely changed the Spring Ram book since I made my order in the winter. A lot more patterns, only one "stitched hopsack", and that one seems to be a heavier weight. Also, all different catalogue numbers. Anyway, still worth a look. And don't give up on the High Twist Finmeresco. It might be exactly what you need.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would be the summer equivalent of a flecked grey Thornproof Tweed made as a Friday suit?

Screenshot_20200118-235205_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200118-235205_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200118-235205_Chrome.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 57

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Hi,

Generally, a linen suit could be considered as a summer equivalent of what you've posted.

Due to its grey color however, I am inclined to say wool/silk/linen, as both the color palette can offer choices (in linen these are very limited), and the texture can be really interesting as well.

Best,

Dimitris

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose one option I have not explored sufficiently is wool-silk-linen fabrics...thoughts?
Take a look at Caccioppoli and Drapers online offerings for w-s-l. Steed has a Drapers account but not many of the books. They don't have a Caccioppoli account, but you could order it directly from the Caccioppoli website and hand it off to Steed.

Drapers is missing photos for a lot of stuff on their website, but they have a few things that might work, like this: https://drapersitaly.it/us-en/collection/25024/. But what you probably want is in the Estate in Seta e Lino book (a couple photos below).

Caccioppoli has some options like this: .

1582825329644.png

1582825424500.png

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new Mare book by Loro Piana (which can be browsed on the Hall Madden website) also has a number of nicely textured wool/silk/linen/cotton blends in various compositions. That Thornproof is on my list for a winter happy suit, by the way.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Generally, a linen suit could be considered as a summer equivalent of what you've posted.

Due to its grey color however, I am inclined to say wool/silk/linen, as both the color palette can offer choices (in linen these are very limited), and the texture can be really interesting as well.

Best,

Dimitris

Hi Dimitris,

To me, linen is to summer what corduroy is to winter. Normally made in plain colours that work both as suit or as separates.

The problem with w/s/l blends is their durability and drape as trousers.

The new Mare book by Loro Piana (which can be browsed on the Hall Madden website) also has a number of nicely textured wool/silk/linen/cotton blends in various compositions. That Thornproof is on my list for a winter happy suit, by the way.

Would you have made a suit in a blend cloth like the ones in the Mare book? Or only jacket?

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @aristoi bcn,

Hi again,

The Drapers bunch that @Mr. Six posted above was one of the two that I had in mind, as I remember that couple of years ago, a fellow from Australia (MD if my memory helps) had made a suit from a green fabric from this bunch and he was really happy with the outcome; truth is that he hasn't posted anything in this Thread for some time now, so we can say nothing as to his view concerning the durability of the garment. More to that, AFAIK this Drapers bunch is now sold out.

The second bunch of suiting w-s-l that I was thinking about was (again) made by VBC, NMWA Greg had posted a picture of the bunch with all colors in plain view. Since I have saved it in my image data base, if you wish to take a look and keep a note of the fabric codes, just say the word and I will re-post it here.

Best,

Dimitris

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @aristoi bcn,

Hi again,

The Drapers bunch that @Mr. Six posted above was one of the two that I had in mind, as I remember that couple of years ago, a fellow from Australia (MD if my memory helps) had made a suit from a green fabric from this bunch and he was really happy with the outcome; truth is that he hasn't posted anything in this Thread for some time now, so we can say nothing as to his view concerning the durability of the garment. More to that, AFAIK this Drapers bunch is now sold out.

The second bunch of suiting w-s-l that I was thinking about was (again) made by VBC, NMWA Greg had posted a picture of the bunch with all colors in plain view. Since I have saved it in my image data base, if you wish to take a look and keep a note of the fabric codes, just say the word and I will re-post it here.

Best,

Dimitris

Hi,

I think I remember that green suit, from B&Tailor if memory serves.

Regarding the VBC, yes, I'd appreciate if you can point me out in which post can be found or if you don't mind post it here...

Thanks a lot again.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Hey, don't mention it, you are very welcome!

Here they are:

Best,

Dimitris

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 107

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads