• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aaronatKW

Reaction score
^ thank you! I’m looking for a large-scale herringbone or something similar for my next overcoat project, but it’s hard to come by. I haven’t gotten around to calling them, but I will do so soon.

I read Simon’s description of the coat and was intrigued by the cashmere-lined pockets.

Marling & Evans has the Naturals collection, with undyed wool at 360g for jacketing and 720g for coating. Collection not online currently but you can see some in their facebook posts and their IG
Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 4.05.07 PM.png

We have the book, but in the shop, and I write from home.

I have a coat made by our company (Kent Wang) in a M&E large format brown and gray check that everyone remarks upon.

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My silk Blend of some sort has arrived. No idea on the composition but it feels very soft. I’m thinking it may the the silk cashmere stuff. I’m thinking two piece db or a db shawl and an odd waistcoat

Attachments

• 471E4A8A-15BC-47B9-87D8-E58D2C87E2CD.jpeg
    471E4A8A-15BC-47B9-87D8-E58D2C87E2CD.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 54
  • A69310F4-E894-437B-8EF9-E168B8914CDC.jpeg
    A69310F4-E894-437B-8EF9-E168B8914CDC.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 64

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My silk Blend of some sort has arrived. No idea on the composition but it feels very soft. I’m thinking it may the the silk cashmere stuff. I’m thinking two piece db or a db shawl and an odd waistcoat

This looks to be from Last Spring's Giacche collection, if I'm not mistaken. Very nice cloth, I made a DJ in this for a client that turned out well.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks to be from Last Spring's Giacche collection, if I'm not mistaken. Very nice cloth, I made a DJ in this for a client that turned out well.
Is it indeed cashmere silk? The receipt I have for it has the delivery at 2006-2008 so I don’t think it’s last spring. Would y make trousers out of it or is it too flimsy?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely a different cloth then. I would not have made trousers out of the cloth I am referencing as it would have been too delicate to get much wear out of. I cant comment on the cloth you've posted unfortunately, but I'm sure your tailor will have an opinion.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely a different cloth then. I would not have made trousers out of the cloth I am referencing as it would have been too delicate to get much wear out of. I cant comment on the cloth you've posted unfortunately, but I'm sure your tailor will have an opinion.
That’s tehbrefecnce tag I have

Attachments

• 9886AE3F-39BD-4CF7-BAB6-B4324E57C148.jpeg
    9886AE3F-39BD-4CF7-BAB6-B4324E57C148.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 70

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @The Chai,

IMO this must be a jacketing fabric, so please follow its destined use; its texture corroborates this position as well.

I urge you to go with your second idea: DB shawl DJ + odd waistcoat, I find it quite interesting! Furthermore, since you already have a pretty nice collection of DJs, the odd waistcoat will satisfy its versatility role!

Cheers,

Dimitris

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @The Chai,

IMO this must be a jacketing fabric, so please follow its destined use; its texture corroborates this position as well.

I urge you to go with your second idea: DB shawl DJ + odd waistcoat, I find it quite interesting! Furthermore, since you already have a pretty nice collection of DJs, the odd waistcoat will satisfy its versatility role!

Cheers,

Dimitris
I already have a db shawl so
Either sb shawl or db 6x2 or 4x1. For waiscoat I’m either thinking 5 buttons with lapels or double breasted with lapels

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I already have a db shawl so
Either sb shawl or db 6x2 or 4x1. For waiscoat I’m either thinking 5 buttons with lapels or double breasted with lapels

I did my wedding dinner jacket in Ivory, with big self faced peak lapels, one button with besom pockets. Would do it the same tomorrow.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did my wedding dinner jacket in Ivory, with big self faced peak lapels, one button with besom pockets. Would do it the same tomorrow.
The ultimate configuration for me. I always try and play with soemthing else and end up going back to that

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m playing around with the sbpl with spalla camicia shoulders atm and mop buttons

CorozoButton

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for mills/merchants that do Cotton (usually with Silk/Wool/Linen, or any combination of them). I find a fair amount of these in RTW (Cucinelli often do Cotton/Silk/Wool and Cotton/Silk/Linen jackets), but I can't seem to find bunches with them in very easily?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads