• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Henry (@Guyinbrown) you are welcome!

The images that I am attaching were posted here some time ago, but I saved them in my image data base for myself and to assist any of our fellows here.

The first is depicting the fabric code, composition and weight of the original fabric (the Loro Piana) and the second a Sport Coat made of this fabric just to get an idea of the finished garment.

Last, if I were you, I would try to check side by side the fabric in the two brands' bunches and decide; there may be some subtle shade differences, otherwise it is the same fabric!

Best,

Dimitris

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 73
  • image.png
    image.png
    330.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Guyinbrown

Reaction score
Dimitris, excellent, will do so and will post updates on my bespoke commission using this fabric. Regards, Henry

JGC

Reaction score

Thanks again @DavidLane - I think the cloth I had in mind may actually have been from the Fox air book (see below), although what I saw seemed to be a more light olive colour.

0F119CE8-4D33-47BD-9D12-ABC6DBDA9F63.jpeg

BC036C4A-EF7C-44B4-BD98-91F56A5A52E3.jpeg

Hmm. Do you know the seasonality of the cloth? It looks a lot like some of the jacketings coming from LBC/Carlo Barbera which are mostly summer weight. Several pretty close options in these bunches:
https://shop.hfwltd.com/collection/75 ----> check out number 19

Thanks @reidd for these suggestions. Some nice stuff in those books. Think the fabric I am looking for is a summer/transitional weight.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with cloth from Mallalieus of Delph? Simon’s overcoat is made from a Donegal woven by them:

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2019/10/introducing-the-donegal-overcoat.html

I’m planning to ring them up, but thought I’d ask my e-buddies first. :)

I have experience in that I bought that coat. I like the fabric. It's pretty soft and not scratchy. No idea what that means for the rest of their stuff, though. I have a jacket made in the Thornproof Donegal from Porter & Harding. That fabric is much stiffer than the overcoat fabric, which is over 200 grams heavier than the jacket fabric.

Speaking of that jacket, Simon's idea to line the pockets with cashmere was great. I definitely recommend it for anyone having a coat made.

dan'l

Reaction score
^ thank you! I’m looking for a large-scale herringbone or something similar for my next overcoat project, but it’s hard to come by. I haven’t gotten around to calling them, but I will do so soon.

I read Simon’s description of the coat and was intrigued by the cashmere-lined pockets.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ thank you! I’m looking for a large-scale herringbone or something similar for my next overcoat project, but it’s hard to come by. I haven’t gotten around to calling them, but I will do so soon.

I read Simon’s description of the coat and was intrigued by the cashmere-lined pockets.

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and have not received any response. I would like to have something made that is very similar if possible. I am working on it currently with a couple of other mills. If something breaks I will post it here.

-DL

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Magee has some heavy large scale herringbone donegals

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I emailed them as well with no response. I also filled out a contact form on their website.

-DL

they were pretty quick about sending me some samples...the herringbone size was pretty good, i think up to 2.5 inches for some. They were soft and "spongier" as @dieworkwear was talking about earlier, but some interesting colors

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
they were pretty quick about sending me some samples...the herringbone size was pretty good, i think up to 2.5 inches for some. They were soft and "spongier" as @dieworkwear was talking about earlier, but some interesting colors

if you have those handy do you mind posting pictures? This is something I’ve been looking for as well.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like Magee's tweeds. Their Bluestack bunch is about 19 oz. but feels much lighter to me. It's spongey and loosely woven, and I think the herringbone scale is pretty ideal for a sport coat.
IMG_7954.JPG

IMG_7952.JPG

Magee's Errigal bunch has ~21 oz. herringbone tweeds with XXL scale. I really want a balmacaan in one of these.
IMG_7953.JPG

They have a lighter weight bunch (~14 oz) with herringbones but the scale is much smaller.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not technically a tweed, but VBC made some really terrific overcoating for Drapers about two years ago. I don't know if there's any fabric left. But it was an alpaca-wool blend with a huge, chunky herringbone, beautiful mottling, and just a terrific texture. Really unique. I think the alpaca-blend added a lot.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like Magee's tweeds. Their Bluestack bunch is about 19 oz. but feels much lighter to me. It's spongey and loosely woven, and I think the herringbone scale is pretty ideal for a sport coat.
View attachment 1340632
View attachment 1340634

Magee's Errigal bunch has ~21 oz. herringbone tweeds with XXL scale. I really want a balmacaan in one of these.
View attachment 1340635

They have a lighter weight bunch (~14 oz) with herringbones but the scale is much smaller.

Do you know if there are any Magee bunches with herringbone in the 16oz range?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads