• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My next DJ project...I think I'll get a dark navy fresco mohair and get rid of another unfunded liability...unlined 4x1 shawl....self faced because I want to wear it with a variety of my navy/midnight bow ties with a self stripe on the trousers... I thought it would be something different since I already have a collection of black tie..thoughts?

emptym

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a navy blazer in Smiths Finmeresco, Smiths Mock Leno, or Minnis Mock Leno.

I'm leaning toward the Minnis, but would love to hear peoples' thoughts and experiences with the three, particularly the two MLs. Wondering how to line it too. I have a quarter lined 4 ply Fin, but I'm wondering if the MLs are so see-through that they'd need more lining. I'm guessing definitely dark sleeve lining.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't speak for the Minnis mock leno, but the Smith ML and Finmeresco are both really nice. There's a good Dugdale ML too, that might be worth considering, since it is possibly much less expensive depending on a few factors.

I've only seen these open-weave cloths really become see-throughish in light tones (like cream). Dark tones only seem to show through in flash photography. Also, the difference in vibe and appearance between Finmeresco and ML is big. ML has a much more casual feel.

I would choose to line as minimally as possible to take advantage of the open weave. Would also recommend the heavier version of any of these. The openness of the weave is the same, but the extra weight gives the cloth a really nice body that's noticeable when it's made up. That's a look that I like, though. I've also been surprised at how well some of the lightweight versions of these cloths hold up.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a navy blazer in Smiths Finmeresco, Smiths Mock Leno, or Minnis Mock Leno.
View attachment 1324742
I'm leaning toward the Minnis, but would love to hear peoples' thoughts and experiences with the three, particularly the two MLs. Wondering how to line it too. I have a quarter lined 4 ply Fin, but I'm wondering if the MLs are so see-through that they'd need more lining. I'm guessing definitely dark sleeve lining.

I just got my ML sport coat. I can't remember if I went with HFW or Smiths, but I want to say HFW because I vaguely remember thinking that I could just buy the cloth direct. I also vaguely remember there being three options for ML. Solito said that he liked the HFW one cause it was like the Goldilocks between the three -- a bit stiffer than one of the others, but not as rough as the third.

The weave also seems more open than the other tropical weaves, but I don't think you have to line it a special way. The usual "line the sleeves, half lining in the back" type thing is fine.

It hasn't been warm enough for me to wear mine, so I can't really speak that much on it. So far, it does seem to attract lint a little more than other materials. Prob not an issue if you have a dark blue cat.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1324742

I have the Minnis both made in SB and DB jackets and I wouldn't go any heavier. If it's quarter lined it is ok to wear in the Summer (let's say until 28-30º degrees celsius). It's not a Winter cloth and I don't wear mine if the temperature drops below 10º.

The Finmeresco is definitely a suiting, I wouldn't do a jacket from that cloth. Maybe a blazersuit.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1324742
For a jacket, I’d go finmeresco mock Leno. I feel like 4 ply & fresco lite are suiting fabrics.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Minnis both made in SB and DB jackets and I wouldn't go any heavier. If it's quarter lined it is ok to wear in the Summer (let's say until 28-30º degrees celsius). It's not a Winter cloth and I don't wear mine if the temperature drops below 10º.

The Finmeresco is definitely a suiting, I wouldn't do a jacket from that cloth. Maybe a blazersuit.

This ...

Smiths Finmeresco is a (casual) suiting, too smooth a hand to be a jacketing. Mock Leno is a jacketing. I have both Finmeresco in a suit and ML jackets.

Below, Mock Leno in Navy and Royal Blue ...

Alan Bee
fullsizeoutput_205e.jpeg df13217d-cffa-4bb3-8031-a4bf2f34ec8c.jpg 807510a3-3efe-4ab2-9f22-e1fce895cf96.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spring Ram from Harrisonsofedinburgh has a hopsack with blazer potential.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one labeled as “stitched hopsack” in Spring Ram is a jacketing for sure though it is a lot heavier than Minnis mock leno.
@kolecho

True, I just checked. There are only two Mock Leno type jacketings in the book (Navy115/Dark Navy116). The rest are suitings

Alan Bee
D569070E-B20B-4CF2-A597-664FE937B00E.jpeg 69A1F75B-5898-4CD3-917C-0A3D64CB9A8F.jpeg 2E0EED66-CF71-4953-BF5D-E3FABD10B3AA.jpeg

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just recieved a new sports jacket in mock Leno (Harrisons) from Paone. Extremely nice and versatile, had it made half lined. wouldn’t ever have thought of it if I hadn’t seen and felt another jacket in mock leno in his sartoria, but extremely happy I went for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics