• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest funded liability

Attachments

• 9991D81C-5C1A-401D-9225-A603006ECC71.jpeg
    9991D81C-5C1A-401D-9225-A603006ECC71.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 93

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like those blends. Look, feel and wear well over time.
Good cashmere top coating at 600.00 or more per yard isn’t what I want to wear in rain or bad weather.

I always thought of getting a heavy (ie 20 oz) tweed overcoat or something studier, then lining it with cashmere. Soft on the inside, yet hard-wearing on the outside.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought of getting a heavy (ie 20 oz) tweed overcoat or something studier, then lining it with cashmere. Soft on the inside, yet hard-wearing on the outside.
Very expensive and very warm.

Dzzzzz

Reaction score
How about Zegna’s Uacaya Tweed? 86% wool, 9% alpaca and 5% cashmere, I’ve never found an overcoat fabric this soft.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

birdlives80

Reaction score
Loden cloth is similar to melton. Both are made for outerwear and exposure to bad weather

I have a Melton duffle coat from brooks brothers, it’s very warm, soft and thick, and good in snow and light rain but if it’s pouring rain it gets extremely heavy. Melton is underappreciated

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about herringbone as a summer cloth - it seems too tight of a weave/non airy. But San Francisco only has a facsimile of summer anyhow...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads