• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yanagi

Reaction score
Some give ranges like 280/310g...does it mean that the cloth could be anywhere in that range?

I'm glad someone else asked this, because I'm not 100% sure if that's the correct answer, and I thought I was a total idiot for not knowing.

Joefitz

Reaction score
I travel for work. Lots of train and Uber. What is the best year round wrinkle resistant fabric brand and weight?

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
While I'm here...

What companies offer covert twill cloths? I've become pretty keen on having a covert coat made, but the tailor whom I've asked about it has had a little trouble finding just the right cloth. I know that Abraham Moon, Fox and Vitale Barberis Canonico sell covert cloth, but I suspect that their not the end of it.

I'm glad someone else asked this, because I'm not 100% sure if that's the correct answer, and I thought I was a total idiot for not knowing.

Oh, thank mercy that I'm not alone!

I've been looking at covert cloths lately and was confused by how Fox cites theirs at 530/560 gram (18/19oz), which seems oddly imprecise and somewhat inaccurate, at 530 grams and 560 grams convert to 17.7 and 19.75 ounces, respectively.

I travel for work. Lots of train and Uber. What is the best year round wrinkle resistant fabric brand and weight?

I can second this insofar as my Fresco suit has proven resistant to wrinkles and feels fairly sturdy. This has been especially pronounced in comparison to the sport coat that I commissioned at the same time, which I love, but the wool/linen/silk/mohair cloth that it was made from has, as my local tailor noted while ironing is, "a tendency to wrinkle."

'Fresco' is, if I recollect accurately, a copyrighted term used by Hardy & Minnis, but other mills offer similar high-twist cloths. I was drawn to it because of its purported suitability to warmer weather, but I believe that it was first billed as the ideal cloth for travel and I believe that high twist cloths in fairly heavy weights can be found.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mohair Fresco if you want to avoid wrinkles. Blows standard fresco (also quite wrinkle resistant) out of the water
I second the mohair fresco recommendation...playing with the idea of having a dinner jacket made in one...I think the mohair will offset the weave

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably some kind of high twist wool. Permanentstyle.com has a recent write up regarding different bunches. VBC 4 ply is supposed to be good.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After three years of wearing mohair fresco I have two comments to make...1) Don't get it wet or you'll end up looking like a soaked tissue...and 2) I would probably get your tailor to make the suit on the slightly roomier side as the cloth has no give at all... When I started growing slight muscle in my thighs and shoulders it began to get really uncomfortable and I needed it taken out. Saying that, stuff drapes like steel but has enough texture to make a great blazersuit/odd jacket and the wrinkle resistant is great. Bear in mind I had the old mix, I believe that released a new line right now...I have a bolt of the cloth but don't have anything made up yet

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads