• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @Alan Bee,

I understand, however you may always expand your relationships on this winding Bespoke journey!

Therefore, should you want to branch out to Italian cloth, I would suggest you to contemplate the following:

a) Camelhair: Loro Piana, Piacenza.
b) Cashmere: Ermenegildo Zegna, Piacenza.
and because I believe that you can,
c) Cashmere-Vicuña: Piacenza.

It goes without saying that Italian weights are different from the British ones, but the aesthetic is different as well.

You may try my own merchants in Athens, Greece, the e-mail is: cashco(at)otenet.gr, you will not regret it; as I have mentioned in the past, the owner is very knowledgeable, helpful and honest, second-generation cloth merchant with a brick-and-mortar presence in downtown Athens, and representative for Greece of the above brands as well as Ariston Napoli, along with accessories personally selected from E. Marinella and F. Maglia.

Best,

Dimitris

Dear Dimitris,

Thank you for the mini lesson in Italian cloth. I started out with Italian cloth at the urging of my Neapolitan tailor when I did not know much about cloth. I suppose it was just easier for him to source.

If I’m honest, my experience has been mixed. I found more consistency in my second round of bespoke projects using strictly English cloth from said English merchants hence my earlier comment.

I have a few jackets from Loro Piana, Ariston, Piacenza etc which began to pill and lose shape in no time. Granted I’m sure there’s got to be some Fuggazzi coming out of English mills as well. Maybe I was just unlucky ...

Happy to have a look at your recommended cloth vendor .....

Alan Bee

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @Alan Bee,

My pleasure!

Still, not even remotely a lesson, just a quick review on some pertinent fabrics that I came across; always my recommendations are based on what I would do/select for myself. Besides, what on earth can one learn to a gentleman who has strolled almost all the sartorial routes...?

In lieu of a disclaimer, I'd like to note that I recently bought a black Ermenegildo Zegna overcoat's length in 100% cashmere, 480grams of weight; a project hopefully for next year.

Cheers,

Dimitris

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Dugdale Royal Pageant or Spectrum?
@buddyfuzz @L.deJong @bdavro23

Here’s Dugdale’s Royal Pageant in light tan. @L.deJong as you can see, it drapes exceptionally well for a 10 ouncer. But like I said, I had it fully lined for drape insurance.

Alan Bee
F942D50E-BA21-4C5E-900F-CB6E91CE48E1.jpeg
313E55F1-BB12-4628-8608-604C20E32709.jpeg
F385524D-BAE3-4B7A-97CE-2EA01E80F20E.jpeg
C6AB7F2A-21D9-420D-A718-710C096D8F69.jpeg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Damn. Very elegantly cut.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@alanbee How's the wrinkle resistance on that stuff?

lazym

Reaction score
20200110_130201 - Copy - Copy.jpg 20200110_130157 - Copy - Copy.jpg 20200110_125802 - Copy - Copy.jpg 20200110_125809 - Copy - Copy.jpg

I made a trip to my tailor and he showed me some bunches he just got. These fabrics are beautiful. Even though I have a blue checked jacket already, I'm seriously considering having another made.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@alanbee How's the wrinkle resistance on that stuff?

@reidd

Wrinkles seem to fall out nicely. Gab is a twill but drapes far better and wrinkles less than regular wool in same weight. The perfect dress trousering for warmer weather if you don’t mind a slight sheen.

Alan Bee

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They might have changed their mind, but a few years ago they said they would let the book run down and not replace it.

Have you had anything made in the 16 oz range before, and what is so special about it? Edwin has my LL herringbone cloth but I haven't been in the mood to wear a suit this past year.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@lordsuperb

Noted Superb. Any photos of you wearing it with a complete rig?

Alan Bee
We had a discussion about this in another thread, but I think the more important parts of a polo coat are a dropped button stance, straight lapels, Martingale belt, turnback cuffs, and mailbox pockets. The dropped button stance is the thing that often gets missed, but I think it really changes the look.

Well I showed Edwin a picture of Mafoo and told him to put his own twist on things and I ended up with a simple double breasted.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you had anything made in the 16 oz range before, and what is so special about it? Edwin has my LL herringbone cloth but I haven't been in the mood to wear a suit this past year.
I have had a couple of things. A birdseye that is not my very favorite, and a plain charcoal that I think is still on the website. Very solid, well-finished, drapes beautifully, wears not too hot although it stands up very well to winter winds. Should last a good long while and not need a ton of pressing to stay in shape. The usual purity of Lesser colors.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had a couple of things. A birdseye that is not my very favorite, and a plain charcoal that I think is still on the website. Very solid, well-finished, drapes beautifully, wears not too hot although it stands up very well to winter winds. Should last a good long while and not need a ton of pressing to stay in shape. The usual purity of Lesser colors.
They finally responded to my email and mentioned they are considering a small update to the book.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They finally responded to my email and mentioned they are considering a small update to the book.
Let's hope they don't ******* up. The Lesser 11/12oz book is no longer what it was by most accounts, and you don't have to be Frank Shattuck to worry about the rest of their line.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of cloth weights, and at the risk of sounding like Seinfeld, what is the deal with how mills/merchants label the weight of their cloth? Some give ranges like 280/310g...does it mean that the cloth could be anywhere in that range? I was looking the Holland and Sherry Cape Horn book today and they had 340g labeled as 11oz even though 340g = 11.99oz

Attachments

• 0B50E230-E457-45F2-B658-54D1C27E9A66.jpeg
    0B50E230-E457-45F2-B658-54D1C27E9A66.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 165

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads