• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acquired this suit length at Argenio's in Naples. It is allegedly wool
20200115_083835.jpg
20200115_083912.jpg
20200115_083902.jpg
flannel, it has a very soft hand a donegal effect and it is from Scabal.

I don't know but I see this cloth being made by a florentine tailor.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Anyone know a good source for "honest to god" Camel Cloth for a Classic Polo Coat? I've gone to my usual go-to merchants (Harrisons, Dugdale, Fox Bros) and came up empty.

Alan Bee

Last edited:

Fantastic Mr Foxx

Reaction score
Guys,

Anyone know a good source for "honest to god" Camel Cloth for a Classic Polo Coat? I've gone to my usual go-to merchants (Harrisons, Dugdale, Fox Bros) and came up empty.

Alan Bee

Try Joshua Ellis & Co. From what I understand, Ralph Lauren sources his camel coating fabric from them for his collection.

Here’s a link where you can purchase the fabric:
It’s 640g/metre. I don’t know if that’s heavy enough for you, though.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alden at London Lounge tried to source some camel hair and threw up his hands.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Joshua Ellis & Co. From what I understand, Ralph Lauren sources his camel coating fabric from them for his collection.

Here’s a link where you can purchase the fabric:
It’s 640g/metre. I don’t know if that’s heavy enough for you, though.

@Fantastic Mr Foxx
Thank you Mr Foxx, checked it out. At 640 grams it’s the beefiest I’ve seen thus far. Are you able to comment on the quality?

Another question, Would tan cashmere work for a polo coat or would that be over the top given the pricing of quality cashmere?

Alan Bee

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There were two colors of pure camel hair in Harrison’s topcoat book. Are they not available?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There were two colors of pure camel hair in Harrison’s topcoat book. Are they not available?

There were two colors last fall (#83927 and 83926). I was told I bought the last length of 83927, but I don't know if that's true. They may have also restocked. 83927 is a slightly darker shade.

There is also 83936, a 85/ 15 wool-camelhair blend

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Concordia

Concordia, what would you then consider a good substitute for a classic polo coat?

Alan Bee
No idea. I did have one made a few years ago but I can’t remember the book and wouldn’t insist that it was top notch cloth.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were two colors last fall (#83927 and 83926). I was told I bought the last length of 83927, but I don't know if that's true. They may have also restocked. 83927 is a slightly darker shade.

There is also 83936, a 85/ 15 wool-camelhair blend

@Despos @dieworkwear

Thank you Chris, Derek. Apparently the swatch serial #'s were changed as part of a recent restock. I was looking at the old bunch with the old serial #'s.

Chris have you worked with this cloth and what can you say about it?
Likewise Derek, I presume you've had your length made up into a coat? Any comments and also what other camel cloths did you consider?

Alan Bee

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just got 4 lengths of Lesser 16oz before it runs out. The last of some grey chalk stripe, and 2 lengths of a midnight blue with fine pinstripes (29694-- which is still somewhat in stock).

I am loving a suit this winter in this quality made from a mid/dark grey solid.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got 4 lengths of Lesser 16oz before it runs out. The last of some grey chalk stripe, and 2 lengths of a midnight blue with fine pinstripes (29694-- which is still somewhat in stock).

I am loving a suit this winter in this quality made from a mid/dark grey solid.
Are they done making 16oz cloth from lesser?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Despos @dieworkwear

Thank you Chris, Derek. Apparently the swatch serial #'s were changed as part of a recent restock. I was looking at the old bunch with the old serial #'s.

Chris have you worked with this cloth and what can you say about it?
Likewise Derek, I presume you've had your length made up into a coat? Any comments and also what other camel cloths did you consider?

Alan Bee
The darker shade is the one to have. Worked with it once and liked the cloth. This was quite a while ago so can't vouch for the cloth as it is being produced today. Think if you want authenticity, camel hair is best for a polo coat. Cashmere tends to have a sheen and has a tighter/smoother nap rather than the fuzziness of camel hair.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads