1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've seen "Made in Huddesfield" and "Dormeul" and other funny shit on selvedges at a local fabric shop as well.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Dormeul...[​IMG]

2. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Got some Lesser 11/12, more Moonbeam, and Harissons worsted flannel. A lot of the basics covered here, will have some difficulty prioritizing. Anyone have experience with Harrisons worsted flannel, or suggestions for alternatives? I particularly like the brown PoW and the greyish brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Have you checked out the Lesser flannel? I think they are mostly worsted flannels. BTW how do you like the Lesser 11/12? Shattuck doesn't seem to like that particular book although he generally likes Lesser. http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...tart=15#p52297

4. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

How many suits are you thinking about getting? If two, mine would be 39176 and 39169.

5. medtech_expat

I've read that LL thread myself. I have the 9/10 being made up right now, but as I thought the 13 would be a bit much for me (I like to layer as I tend to overhead), I've decided to experiment with the 11/12. Others more experienced may chime in here, as I'm still learning the ropes. But I've got the 9/10 and 11/12 swatches in front of me and cannot discern any difference in quality.

6. whnay.

7. medtech_expat

Go 11/12

To clarify - do you mean as opposed to the 9/10 or the 13 (or both)? Thanks.

8. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

IMO, both 9.5/10 and 13 are superior to 11/12. The latter is just too "soft" and lacks body. The 9.5/10 performs significantly better.

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

How many suits are you thinking about getting? If two, mine would be 39176 and 39169.
    Those are my favorites, too. And the moonbeam brown glen plaid. 13 is too much for me. I have the 13 oz Harrison woolen and it's too hot for me (in SF) and the jacket just feels heavy. However, Mina's jacket will probably feel light given her construction.

10. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Is that Moonbeam 36525, grey and chalk windowpane, or is there another color in there? And are you thinking of that for a suit or a jacket?

11. medtech_expat

Two suits in worsted flannel, 39169 and 39174 (brown in town) are the current leading contenders.

Those are my favorites, too. And the moonbeam brown glen plaid.

That's my favorite of the moonbeam swatches. Did you end up committing to the similar LP cashmere?

IMO, both 9.5/10 and 13 are superior to 11/12. The latter is just too "soft" and lacks body. The 9.5/10 performs significantly better.

Thanks. I suppose this was a bit counterintuitive for me, as someone who's reading up on cloth fundamentals regarding weight and performance. Any recommendations for worsteds that can take me from late Parisian fall through early spring? (shouldn't be too different from NY)

12. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

13. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I've read that LL thread myself. I have the 9/10 being made up right now, but as I thought the 13 would be a bit much for me (I like to layer as I tend to overhead), I've decided to experiment with the 11/12. Others more experienced may chime in here, as I'm still learning the ropes. But I've got the 9/10 and 11/12 swatches in front of me and cannot discern any difference in quality.
    I have a DB in the 13 that performs amazingly well. I'm amazed how well it resists wrinkles. But you are correct that it wears warm and can be difficult to wear if your office is well heated.

14. medtech_expat

Is that Moonbeam 36525, grey and chalk windowpane, or is there another color in there? And are you thinking of that for a suit or a jacket?

There is a rust windowpane as well which shadows the chalk. If I end up doing anything with this one it would be for a DB odd coat.

15. whnay.

Two suits in worsted flannel, 39169 and 39174 (brown in town) are the current leading contenders.

That's my favorite of the moonbeam swatches. Did you end up committing to the similar LP cashmere?

Thanks. I suppose this was a bit counterintuitive for me, as someone who's reading up on cloth fundamentals regarding weight and performance. Any recommendations for worsteds that can take me from late Parisian fall through early spring? (shouldn't be too different from NY)

The third would be 39174. All three would be great additions. You should do at least one in DB.

16. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

The third would be 39174. All three would be great additions. You should do at least one in DB.

I'm pretty sure that the one I have (SB) is 39174. Sort of dark tan/medium grey. A nice weight, well-behaved. Excellent Friday suit. Maybe not a world-beater but the sort of thing that might die of old age in 15 years because it's easy to put on.

17. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

If the 13oz is too much, you could go lighter. Harrison's Frontier is a pretty basic year-round fabric. The LL Brisa (and there are other non-LL models of that quality offered by Lovat Mill-- just call them and ask) drapes even better than the 10oz Frontier and breathes nicely in over-heated rooms. Neither is a winter weight but neither will make you look stupid in the cold weather.

18. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

what office would allow you in it [​IMG]

Why... the BACK office, obviously.

19. C&A

C&A Senior member

The LL Brisa (and there are other non-LL models of that quality offered by Lovat Mill-- just call them and ask)

Thanks for the tip. Just phoned them. Friendly people and happy to send me some swatches.

20. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Gents - For my 520 Minnis fresco blazersuit, should I go with this: [​IMG] or that: [​IMG]