• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blueandwhite

Reaction score
I could do with 1.6 yards. Then again I'm ~1.7m tall.

Mind disclosing the contact for this wholesaler? Over PM if you prefer so.

Penfold

Reaction score
My shirtmaker said 72 inches (i.e. two yards) when I asked him last time but not sure what width that related to. Guess if there is some excess I know where to buy more to finish the job... or get some kind of Frankenshirt made up!

PM sent.

blueandwhite

Reaction score
It's 1.5m for a 60 inch fabric and 2.3m for a 36 inch fabric for me. Perhaps that might be your case as well.

In any case, excess is better than shortage of cloth I guess!

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have a black and white houndstooth odd jacket made from a Bower Roebuck worsted cashmere fabric. Loved the swatch and thought it looked absolutely stunning, but it just isn't quite right for an odd jacket. Scale is maybe a tiny bit larger than yours. I do wear it from time to time but it is not nearly as useful as I hoped for. Sometimes the transition from swatch to jacket doesn't go smoothly. Picture of the fabric is below.

I have something like this made into a DB suit, I'm still not sure how to wear it best. It's a heavy fabric so I don't need to think about it until the weather cools.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
2 yards is plenty for normal size.
my cutter can get a shirt out of 1.5 for smaller customers and stripes still match.

if the shirtmaker is using automated cutting systems, they might need more fabric then usual.

but if something is damaged in making then you might have to go to the trouble of buying an extra yard later on.

on pre washing fabric.
you would have to tell the shirtmaker that you have pre-washed the fabric.
otherwise, they will still add in shrinkage allowance
collars will still shrink unless the shirtmaker has non shrinking fusible(yes it exists, i have not used it)
the linen is the only fabric of the group that i would wash and dry. linen usually has greater shrinkage. then cotton.

Penfold

Reaction score
Thanks @shirtmaven. I've found a shirtmaker I can deal with face-to-face in HK and who I trust has some control over the process. Perhaps if there is definitely going to be some excess even for a 6' 1" guy, 44" barrel-chested with long arms (Ape Index +2.5) then we'll cut that first and wash it to get a better idea... and I'll post the results.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After wandering into the office of Hong Kong's wholesaler for Thomas Mason at lunchtime I now find myself the proud owner of five 2.3 yard x 59" lengths of shirting fabric - three cotton on the bottom row and two linen on the top. The cream is actually cream, not a bilious yellow - I checked. They're nothing too fancy in terms of thread counts but at a cost of about $20 US per yard for cotton and $28 US for the linen it seemed like good value to take forward for CMT somewhere in HK. I was wondering whether to throw each length into the washing machine but I see from page 406 of this thread that that might involve some risk to the useability of the cloth and/or more ironing than I am prepared to contemplate, (unless I take them to be cleaned as bedlinen perhaps). Rather than let my shirtmaker just guess at shrinkage allowance though I'd like to ask: Does anyone have experience of the shrinkage factor of Thomas Mason shirting in the cheaper cottons or in linen that they can kindly share? Also, gosh but isn't 2.3 yards at 59" a lot of cloth for a shirt? The bed in this photo is 180cm by 200cm...
I think in this case bringing it to the shirtmaker will be fine. Why try to be clever to do shrinkage yourself?

Penfold

Reaction score
Fair point, just the speculations of an idle mind and a convenient washing machine.

Last edited:

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why try to be clever to do shrinkage yourself?

I do the shrinkage by myself since I know many except two or three shirtmakers in HK do shrinkage. Even AC said they did, but I still experience quite a lot shrinkage from their shirts.

It is also a easy job, just put in to washing machine then drying machine, then iron it flat.

BTW, I normally just bought 1.7yds, and I got some left returned and save it for later collar and cuffs exchange. I think more then 2yds is just wasted and go all the way on the floor, if the shirtmaker didn't return it for you.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have something like this made into a DB suit, I'm still not sure how to wear it best. It's a heavy fabric so I don't need to think about it until the weather cools.

I am seriously considering having trousers made and just wearing this as a suit a couple of times per year. I have serious concerns about how long the fabric in question would last as trousers, but I doubt I would wear a suit that bold particularly often in any event. In general I prefer the jacket with pale blue and pink shirts.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd be very surprised if that was actually Minnis Fresco fabric, given the cost of that cloth and the typical pricing structure of PRL (I.e they still make good money at 70% off)

@gdl203 I remember you saying this awhile back. You really think they made good money?

Was thinking about the recent shift to Hickey. Polo's margins on the Corneliani probably sucked. You think they made good money at 70% off?

Last edited:

mactire

Reaction score
I was wondering whether to throw each length into the washing machine but I see from page 406 of this thread that that might involve some risk to the useability of the cloth and/or more ironing than I am prepared to contemplate, (unless I take them to be cleaned as bedlinen perhaps). Rather than let my shirtmaker just guess at shrinkage allowance though I'd like to ask:

Does anyone have experience of the shrinkage factor of Thomas Mason shirting in the cheaper cottons or in linen that they can kindly share?

Also, gosh but isn't 2.3 yards at 59" a lot of cloth for a shirt? The bed in this photo is 180cm by 200cm...

Congrats on the find. To be honest I'd take issue with the link to the discussion on pre-washing, I believe it essential to do so, it is certainly far better to find out how the cloth will behave before the garment is made up. Have the edges overlocked before doing so in order to prevent fraying.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anybody experience their linen suits fading in color? I had one years ago that in every place I would sweat eventually faded and it looked awful. Admittedly it was a very cheap linen suit, but I am afraid if I get one my pits will begin to fade.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of linen pants and a few linen shirts. No signs of fading thus far. I have heard that washing in water, rather than dry cleaning, can cause fading (particularly at seams), however.

You sweat enough in them to soak through your shirt into the suit? Consider undershits, if you haven't already...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a guinea, I sweat like it's my job. Also, the sweatiest part of my body is my knees for whatever reason, days like yesterday I sweat right through my trousers at the kneecaps. It's so bizarre.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads