• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blueandwhite

Reaction score
Is there no chance of getting Grandi fabrics directly? Any recommendations for good linen? I know all about W Bill and have also heard of Solbiati and Spence Bryson. Wondering if there's any other names I might have missed out. Thanks!

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You would think so. Then you have a day when you don't think you know anything and have lots to learn.
Actually, just spent a few days in Milan and saw so many beautiful suits. Very inspirational. Milanese tailoring is not represented much if at all here. Really great styling and craftsmanship.

Who were the tailors you liked?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I remember you telling me about this awesome Milanese jacket you saw some guy wearing that was super shapely, but it had absolutely no darts. I'd love to see some patterns of such a jacket.

He was from Rome. Still remember the silhouette of his jacket. No front dart but there was an under arm dart from the pocket up to the armhole, no side body

You would think so. Then you have a day when you don't think you know anything and have lots to learn.
Actually, just spent a few days in Milan and saw so many beautiful suits. Very inspirational. Milanese tailoring is not represented much if at all here. Really great styling and craftsmanship.

Who were the tailors you liked?

For personal reasons going thru the workrooms at A. Caraceni was sort of special. Very elegant and classy shop. The trousers they make may be the best, most impressive work I've ever seen. Everything about the workmanship was spectacular.

Met with Musella Dembech who posts here. They are very legit. The father was at A Caraceni years ago and their work is very clean. The cut and finish are excellent. They understand tailoring in a modern and good way.

Met Tindaro De Luca by chance in a restaurant during aperitivo. Didn't see his workrooms but the cut of his suit was fantastic. He had a hard time believing I was a tailor. Became sort of humorous.

Spent a day in Biella visiting the Vitale Barberis Canonico Mill and then spent the afternoon with the tailor in this J. Crew video.
At 83 years old he was a very innovative tailor and I picked up a few things I'll put into my work.

First trip to a mill and learn how raw wool is spun into yarns, dyed, woven and finished. It was all done in house. One of the oldest mills in that area and most modern.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

J. Crew has some very good videos you can find on you tube, worth checking them out

Here's another covering the making of shirtings

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks, Chris. Sounds like a great trip and it's good to hear more aboyut the Milanese.

I'm guessing they're probably next in line for a SF-breakthrough. Neapolitan tailoring is now getting old on SF

jedwards

Reaction score
I have some VBC royal blue hop sack cloth for available for sale if anyone wants it (2.5m).

I bought it in a bespoke mania, but I have too much stuff in production at the moment.

Pm if interested, cheers.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He was from Rome. Still remember the silhouette of his jacket. No front dart but there was an under arm dart from the pocket up to the armhole, no side body
For personal reasons going thru the workrooms at A. Caraceni was sort of special. Very elegant and classy shop. The trousers they make may be the best, most impressive work I've ever seen. Everything about the workmanship was spectacular.

Met with Musella Dembech who posts here. They are very legit. The father was at A Caraceni years ago and their work is very clean. The cut and finish are excellent. They understand tailoring in a modern and good way.

Met Tindaro De Luca by chance in a restaurant during aperitivo. Didn't see his workrooms but the cut of his suit was fantastic. He had a hard time believing I was a tailor. Became sort of humorous.

Spent a day in Biella visiting the Vitale Barberis Canonico Mill and then spent the afternoon with the tailor in this J. Crew video.
At 83 years old he was a very innovative tailor and I picked up a few things I'll put into my work.

First trip to a mill and learn how raw wool is spun into yarns, dyed, woven and finished. It was all done in house. One of the oldest mills in that area and most modern.

J. Crew has some very good videos you can find on you tube, worth checking them out

Here's another covering the making of shirtings
Thanks for this great post.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First fitting London Lounge Etna double sided cashmere jacket by BnTailor.

http://lindenway.tumblr.com/post/89405125498/subskin-sports-jacket-fitting-for-tchoy-cloth

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good tailor, good cloth!

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Very soft, if I recall. I handled it when I stopped by B&Tailor. I think the fabric had just come in.

Oh, yeah, tchoy, they let me touch your stuff. You've been warned
devil.gif

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads