• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ aren't they discontinuing the Dupioni?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't know but it is in this summers book that was just released

I have a navy Dupioni from Isles Textiles and I'm not sure of the provenance of the cloth. Maybe Smith's. It's from several years ago.

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On jodek's website I see silk # 3993-4000 as discontinued but maybe there's a new book and the website has not been updated. I'd be curious to see the new Drapers book and at the cost of the 100% silk.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On jodek's website I see silk # 3993-4000 as discontinued but maybe there's a new book and the website has not been updated. I'd be curious to see the new Drapers book and at the cost of the 100% silk.

I'm curious about this as well. Would appreciate an update.

Balfour

Reaction score
There are two greys in the Scabal gabardine book that are perfect for trousers in that weight. They are not regular gabardines as they have a mottled appearance. I call them a doeskin gabardine. Really great for trousers. Will supply cloth numbers when I have the book with me.
Thank you - would really appreciate the references when you have time.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two things about the way this jacket is done. They may not have had enough cloth so they turned/reversed the lapel pattern and cut them in the opposite direction of the rest of the pieces. The light colored stripe is on the opposite side on the lapels as the other pieces of the jacket. The pocket pipes are cut on the bias and disrupts the flow of the stripe pattern. Patch pockets would have been an ideal opportunity for pattern matching. Don't want to diminish your appreciation of this jacket but the cutting should respect the cloth.

I always have a client pick trousers to wear with an odd jacket before he orders the jacket, even if he isn't buying them at that time. Helps to know how versatile the jacket will be.

Many thanks Chris. I noticed the cut of the lapel is not ideal, but it is acceptable to me. The treatment of the pockets is problematic. I didn't require them to match the pattern in the first place (they are slanted and crescent so much less likely to be matched I assume), but did hope they do it in a symmetrical way...I can live with those problems anyway.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you wearing this jacket to English boating race on the Thames? You would get funny comments here in Moskva at least if you wear this at your desk.

It would be a fun jacket anyway. And more importantly, it is China. Only few people would know it is for boating. I will be quite safe.:teach:
BTW, I wear tweed at my desk. I also wear brown suit to meet my clients.

Last edited:

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks you for explening. There are big cutural difference then. Because here in Moskva no business partner would take me as serious if I sit in jacket like that. They will think I am in postroom. Or of very liberal orientation. For business I like the Elite look of S180 and S200. You know that?

The tweed I also love. I like the luxe tweed in fully cashere. You mean that too? But strictly reserve ot for cold days in weekend outside the city in my DACHA that is on RUBLEVKA.

Do you have cold days where you are in China? Or are you wearing this warm jacket also in the heat?

People here like these too.

LEVOOSH

Reaction score
Summer liabilities about to be funded:

Air force blue cotton linen for a suit
Brown linen for trousers
Italian jacketing that was the closest I could find to the Armoury check/Hardy Riviera

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Despos,

This leads me to my next question, does anyone have a trimming or half yard/meter of Simonnot Goddard Chambray (with poly) for sale. I have 4 collars to remake. 

David-

I think @Cantabrigan had some available at some point.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DP.

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were several batches of the SG chambray. Finding the exact one might be tough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads