1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. sprout2

sprout2 Distinguished Member

I understand. I mean that, Fox's pedigree aside, I don't think it will hold up well, nor be appropriate for your climate. See this comment from Will:

Quote:

2. lysandar

lysandar Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I was speculating that it might make for a good odd jacket, but you are right that Will's feedback should be taken into account.

3. TRINI

TRINI Distinguished Member

My A. Moon chocolate shetland herringbone came in last week.

Many thanks to @jrd617 for putting me on to it.

It'll make a nice 3 patch suit this winter.

4. mactire

mactire Senior Member

Close but no cigar, I saw a bright emerald Donegal in a shop window a while back and I've been looking for it since, with yellow gorse and royal blue neps. It was a real Wizard of Oz green.

5. RogerC

RogerC Distinguished Member

Well, on the other hand, I have a an odd jacket in the lightweight Fox navy. As I understand it, the warp is worsted while the weft is woollen (or Vice versa). I have had it for two years now and worn it quite regularly. It seems to hold up quite well and is not too wrinkle sensitive. That said, I would hesitate making trousers out of it.

6. lysandar

lysandar Senior Member

RogerC - Do you have a shot of it in the wild? Maybe one of your WAYWTs? Curious to see how it's held up over 2 years of wear.

7. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Distinguished Member

Middle is great. Will probably do an SC in that fabric for fall.

8. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor

+1 Would love to see a shot of it. I'm close to pulling the trigger...

9. RogerC

RogerC Distinguished Member

Unfortunately, not at the moment. I'm traveling now and will be back next week. Will post a pic then, weather permitting. I must say, it wears heavier than its weight (although I do wear warm), and I mainly use it for temperatures between 0 and 15 degrees with a topcoat, and perhaps five degrees warmer without.

10. The Chi

The Chi New Member

Random question:

I was out of town at a store that did Samuelsohn MTM and looking at their fabric swatches. In there most recent spring jacket section, there was a fabric "85019k". Anyone know how or if I could determine what fabric this is or simply a picture of it online?

I should have snapped a picture while in the store, but forgot.

Thanks.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

12. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Can anyone recommend a particularly good navy worsted flannel? Something that's substantial and won't shine up easily. Looking for a fall/winter weight sportcoat cloth

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

13. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Still waiting to hear back from Reid & Taylor. A little disappointing. I would have liked to have had everyone submitting payment information now.

It seems that they did not fully grasp that this was a group order, with everyone paying separately. (London Lounge style)

I made it abundantly clear that this was a group order for tweed enthusiasts who would be paying separately, and linked them to the thread every step of the way. They're saying that they usually ship out a roll of fabric in one big roll to a single garment industry customer. I am a private citizen and don't have the equipment or space to do the cutting.

They are now referring me to a distributor who may be able to process the orders. (Cut the cloth, ship it to everyone).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Not flannel per se, but some of the swatches look flannel like. Harrison's P&B Universal.

15. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Distinguished Member

hahahaha. I was wondering how the mechanics of this transaction were going to work.

particularly hahhaha:

Lots of faith in groups of strangers + the expectation that a far upstream supplier would also act as retail distributor.

This. Is. TWEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!