1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

(Was not criticizing Mafoofan, he does have reasons for his arguments). Speaking in general of course.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Acorn has been having special sales every day. Today's is a 30% discount on linen, which seems nice since linen is so expensive. Checkout code is ADVENT19. Shipping is free for this month.

http://www.acornfabrics.com/fabrics/linen

FWIW, I find their colored linens to be a little too flat in color, but it's hard to go wrong with white.

1 person likes this.
  3. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Shouldn't Foo's head be roughly at the level of Julia's wrist?

2 people like this.
  4. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

That would be convenient.
    "When they were toe to toe, his nose was in it, and when they were nose to nose, his toes was in it."

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Wow, so I received the Molloy for Hillside donegal that Dieworkwear posted: http://fabric.thehill-side.com/collections/everything/products/donegal-tweed-lambswool-navy

I am blown away by how nice this stuff is

The perfect shade of mid blue/light navy

Since the Hillside used it on sneakers, I was worried that it would be a very light weight. That fear was unfounded. It's the same weight as the light blue donegal that Molloy makes. About 19 oz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stock photos. Mine are a little darker in lighting than these

[​IMG]

As it was used on the sneakers: http://www.hickorees.com/brand/the-hill-side/product/sn2-222---donegal-tweed-low-top-sneakers-navy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

Dunno how exclusive that is... Looks exactly the same as the Molloy tweed we used for the Eidos overcoats this season

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^ The Eidos donegal had flecks of gold mixed in. This one only has light blue and red flecks.

So the Hillside stuff is unique in that sense. Not sure how the ground blue shade of the Hillside donegal compares to the Eidos donegal.

I actually inquired to Molloy a few weeks ago about getting a length of the Eidos donegal. They only have 1.8 meters left or so. Not enough for a jacket my size

Then the Hillside stuff popped up, which I prefer slightly because of the absence of the gold flecks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

I should know not to ever challenge you to a fabric swatch analysis contest !

3 people like this.
  9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Heh, I have been obsessed with blue cloths lately

That Eidos stuff is gorgeous. The gold flecks is just a personal preference.

Honestly, I think Mollay blows every other donegal I've seen out of the water: P&H, W Bill, Cacciopoli, etc.

10. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Senior member

11. dieworkwear

Anyone have a suggestion for a good mid-weight olive green cotton? Hoping to get a summer suit made. My tailor suggested this lightweight cotton from Cacciopoli, but I'm a little unsure of it. Would prefer something in the ~12oz range.

12. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Check out Dugdale's linen and cotton bunch.

13. dieworkwear

Thanks, Roger. I forgot about that. I think you mentioned it to me before. Will send a note to my tailor.

14. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

The jackets looks great @Pliny I love mine which reminds me I've to wear it more often.
    Alden is trying to do rerun of the Agnelli Glen Check but in Shetland rather than the original Cheviot. You may want to put your interest down for this one, I think it will be pretty special if it gets made.

1 person likes this.
  15. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Apparently, Harrison's has now listed the reissued Barbera on their website, but no pictures this far.

1 person likes this.
  16. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

:slayer:

17. Tony Montana

Brisbane Moss makes the best cotton fabrics I know (twills, drills, moleskin, corduroy) and they're very reasonably priced, too. Especially the Tennyson (same as Drapers cotton, btw, but way cheaper) is really nice, but might be a little heavier than what you're looking for (290g/m² * 1,46m width = 423g/lm).

http://www.brisbanemoss.co.uk/fabrics.asp?qual=COT00

18. dieworkwear

Thanks, Tony. @Slewfoot mentioned those to me a while back. I have some of their fabrics for some trousers I was hoping to get made. Do you have any experience with how their cottons as a summer sport coat? Little afraid of the weight, but the difference does seem small.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  19. Tony Montana

I don't, sorry.

The swatches of Dugdale cotton I have feel too light and floppy for my taste.

Ariston usually offers some cotton in their summer collections, too. When I last checked it out it was also too light for me but weight/finish etc. might vary with different collections, not sure.

1 person likes this.
  20. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

In case those who joined me two months ago in ordering some custom Bonfanti shirting haven't read their PMs, here's an update on production (specifics on delivery will be in the PM for the sake of privacy)...

Some pictures of two of the six shirtings

First is a sky blue etamine weave linen-cotton s170/2 gingham, we did the same in stripes as well (same width)

[​IMG]

And second is a very special sky blue puppytooth in s170/2 twill, smooth as silk..

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for pics of the yellows and reds!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    2 people like this.