1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Because of your avatar, I had always assumed you were white.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Except for like eight people here, everyone is Asian.

This is not an exaggeration.

15 people like this.
  3. dieworkwear

One white person has liked my post above. If the seven others can like it as well, we can have a sort of white person roll call, so that everyone is clear.

FYI, this will be helpful for when people ask for swatch recommendations in this thread, so you know who's paste-y.

4. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

5. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

6. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I'm seeing that ^^ as an argument against ls.

7. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Haven't any of the white guys on the thread ever worn seersucker or madras? How much better is that, really? Christ.

8. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Seersucker is amazing. You clearly aren't a WASP.

I'd wear the purple. I think it's nice once you have an established wardrobe to play around with some very non-staple things.

If the purple is calling to you...go for it.

9. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Unfortunately for me the b&w houndstooth is sold out. I was going to make a case for a group buy but you guys weren't feeling it. The brown and cream cashmere will most likely be the next commission. The purple can wait.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Nice, except for the tie, I could go for that. I'll bear that in mind when I give my minihoundstooth suit its first wear.

11. velomane

velomane Senior member

That image looks familiar. Is it from our Asian friend's blog?

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not white. But not Asian, either. Unless you're thinking of the Nation of Islam Afro-Asiatic black man thing. But that would be weird.

1 person likes this.
  13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Seersucker is a classic summer fabric and is awesome. Anyone who disagrees with this point is wrong. :D

1 person likes this.
  14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I was going to like the post, but wasn't sure what people of mixed race were to do

15. dieworkwear

This is exactly what I'm saying about this skin tone theory stuff. Clothing is so much more about cultural norms and language, not just random things that you put together in mix-and-match ways (this color goes with that; that shape goes with this). You can't compare madras and seersucker sport coats to purple jackets because they come with very different social histories. They might be equally unflattering to someone's skin tone, but the first thing someone thinks when they see you in a madras sport coat is not "how does that look as a mish-mash of colors and shapes," but rather, "how do I feel about all the cultural stereotypes of people wearing madras, interpreted through how that person is communicating it in their own personal way."

Purple sport coats don't have that cultural history, but wearing a purple sport coat communicates something. Kind of important to be aware of that when you decide to wear a purple sport coat.

There were some people earlier comparing how wearing a well-fitted navy sport coat also makes you stand out, but this misses the language of clothes. Both people stand out in today's society, yes, but they stand in out different ways.

Incidentally, I was the first person who posted a photo of Barims in this convo, which shows him in a purple sport coat, and said I really liked what he's wearing. So I'm not against wearing a purple jacket on principle. I'm just saying you can't think of this stuff in pseudo-scientific ways -- like it's just abstracted art on a canvas. Clothing is much more social than that -- it's a way we signal where we belong in society, and how we stand out as individuals. You can abstract stuff away a bit more easily with designer clothing or streetwear, but not that easily with classic men's clothing.

4 people like this.
  16. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I "liked" your post. I'm white but my wife is Asian. That might water down my "like" a bit.

17. dieworkwear

I dated a white woman once. When an Asian guy dates a white woman, a little bubble appears above his head that says "Achievement Unlocked."

2 people like this.
  18. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

[​IMG]

19. tharr011

tharr011 Member

This looks great. Someone put a Barbera brown houndstooth overcoat fabric up for sale last week on this thread. That would be a badass coat.