1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Distinguished Member

Very elegant colors.

2. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Distinguished Member

jrd617,

It appears to me that each of those herringbone tweeds you posted has either 2 or 3 colored yarns in the weave. A few years ago, Bookster before they went bankrupt sourced a Harris Tweed they called Taransay, that was at least 6 yarn and possibly 7 yarn that is a brown herringbone with rust and shades of olive twisted into it.

I ordered a metre just to see what it looked like in person and when it arrived I literally had chills & goosebumps,,, it was stunning. The way I would describe the difference would be like 2D vs 4D. The depth of color is unmatched and I have yet to see any like it since. It kills me I didn't buy 5 or 10 metres or more when I had the chance. It sold out before I could re-order.

Bookster wasn't cooperative about which weaver or mill produced it for them. I thankfully have enough swatches saved to give to a mill or weaver to try to have it recreated and I would imagine it can easily be done if enough people were interested in doing a minimum run.

When the sun comes up later today, I'll take a photo of it against the London Lounge brown herringbone (I just received it as well)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

3. forex

forex Distinguished Member

NorCal, that sounds interesting. Maybe we can get it done? I'm looking for a brown herringbone too, that LL version looks good. Too bad I didn't sign up for it.

4. Concordia

Concordia Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

There are several examples of "Taransay" Harris tweeds on line, if you do a Google search. Presumably somebody is still weaving that pattern.

5. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

I looked up Taransay and I don't like the look of that. I've been on the hunt for a brown herringbone, not an olivey-brown herringbone

http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH P...ges/TARANSAY HERRINGBONE HARRIS TWEED_jpg.jpg

6. NorCal_1

^ jrd617, the picture of Taransay online is not a real life picture, their picture is like a cartoonish characterization of the cloth to give an approximation.

But that said, it does have olive yarns and rust woven into weave as I described, so doesn't sound like it will work for you in any event...since you want brown and brown alone

When the light comes up, I'll still post a quick picture for others who may be interested in it, because it really is something unique (>3 multi-yarn weave Harris Tweed) and it would be great to get another run of it done while there are still weavers left wo can do it. When the next recession comes, I'm afraid of what will happen to Harris Tweed's small community of weavers again

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

7. forex

forex Distinguished Member

What is the 4th sample in the first column from left? It doesn't have any details and what is the weight of it if you don't mind? I will try to get a jacketing length of it if I can.

8. TRINI

TRINI Distinguished Member

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I have the A Moon made up and it's nice but the LLxLovat is nicer.

10. Slippybee

Slippybee Senior Member

Ordered both.

No self-control.

Ahh well :)

11. yasu10s

yasu10s Well-Known Member

12. NorCal_1

a picture of the Bookster sourced Taransay herringbone Harris Tweed from 2 yrs ago (made into a vest, hence the buttons) sitting on top of the recently released London Lounge Lovate Shetland wide herringbone (brown) tweed for FW 2013 on the left

to the naked eye, the Taransay is more brown/rust with olive undertones, giving it a 3D effect that can't be captured effectively by my camera. In the picture below, it appears more 'olive' than it is in real life. In real life you notice that it's brown first, rust second, olive third as you move closer to it. The LL tweed in real life is more of a rich medium-to-dark brown (closer to medium than dark).

While the photo doesn't truly capture the real color of both, what I want you to appreciate is the complexity and depth of color of a tweed that uses many yarns (5,6,7) in the weave rather than only 2 or 3 that most herringbone tweeds these days comprise. It's a fabric not being made often, especially in the sartorially meaninful combination of brown + rust + olive. Both are magnificent in their own way, for different reasons, and I'm lucky to have each of them to work with. I'll try to post another picture that better captures the 'in real life' color of both if I can get the light just right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014

13. griffon_id

griffon_id Senior Member

May I ask how you ordered smith fabrics?

14. NorCal_1

on another note, has anybody run across a charcoal worsted wool with 1inch or wider brown or rust stripe like this one and if so, which maker and/or book?

[​IMG]

15. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Distinguished Member

Beautiful colors.