1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Fishball

Fishball Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the PM about the Agnelli flannel.
    No need to PM about buying that flannel, they sold out few months ago.
    In fact, I got the 150m subscription in less than 48 hours.
    It was sold at USD65/m CIF HKG. I think it was a steal comparing with the USD156/m EXW of the same quality cloth LL collection are selling.

Thank you for all your kind words.

1 person likes this.
  2. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

That's a great looking cloth, Fishball. Congratulations!

I also remember the days of UKP55/m from LL. In fact, we have jackets made from the very same BoB :D

2 people like this.
  3. Fishball

:cheers:
    Those good old days!

1 person likes this.
  4. Fishball

BTW, nice blazer of Gennaro, Kolecho! :fonz:

5. kolecho

Thanks. I think there is probably a better discussion of Gennaro Paone's work outside of his thread.

6. Fishball

haha, indeed.
    Btw, would you mind me to come to the trunk show even I am not palnning to commission anything?

7. kolecho

Please come. Email me so I can figure out a slot for you. Maybe coincide your visit with some others that you know.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know who makes this navy seersucker fabric?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Loro Piana

1 person likes this.
  10. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris - any experience with it (or the same quality)? I'm strangely tempted to have a summer suit made out of it

11. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Have not used it. They have three colors, solid navy, blue and off white and grey and off white

Few years ago, maybe many years ago, Zegna made an all wool seersucker in great colors. That was a great cloth to use.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

There's nothing strange about your temptation, G. Navy seersucker is the duck's nuts.

13. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

Kent Wang had suits made up in that fabric for his trunk show, which made me want to order one for next year. That is the one cotton suit fabric I would love to have.

14. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

I have thought about getting a navy seersucker suit too. Link to another thread

But then I purchased a (cheap) pair of shorts from Gap this summer in navy seersucker. I noticed that after 1 washing, the material looked very worn out. Not in a good way like denim. I believe you have to garment-dye a seersucker like this.

I realize that the preferred method for cleaning a seersucker would probably be drycleaning, but I'm still hesistant to buy a seersucker in a dark color. I think it will fade weirdly.

Probably best to stick to a lighter color for seersucker, unless that navy seersucker from Loro Piana is extremely high quality/non garment dyed.

The wool fabric that Despos mentions sounds intriguing too

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I have two suits in the works with Lesser 16 now.

1 person likes this.
  16. UrbanComposition

What has been your experience with different flannels holding a crease? I have Fox and Minnis which are decent - are there others that are better? Doesn't matter if it's worsted or woolen, and softness is irrelevant (flannel is soft enough as it is).

17. patrickBOOTH

I have Harrisons and it sucks at holding a crease. Granted it is 17oz. I have stopped buying flannel it doesn't hold shape well, bags at the knees, and looks slovenly very quickly, with the "nap" wearing away very quickly. I know this is somewhat charming about it, but it all happens more easily than I'd like.

18. UrbanComposition

I wear flannel trou with all my sportcoats and the ones I have are getting baggy. So sad. Would go up to 14oz; not sure if 17oz would make me sweat bullets in San Francisco. In another thread Despos mentioned a Zegna wool/cashmere blend - wondering if it's still available.

19. patrickBOOTH

I say just don't wear flannel. I have come to like Lesser and P&B Universal because they have fabrics that are matte, some that look like flannel, but perform so much better.

20. dan'l

dan'l Well-Known Member

Since this seems to be the general bespoke thread, I thought I would post this question here:

Does anyone have experience with having two different tailors making the coat and trousers for a suit? The reason I ask is that I like the coat made by tailor #1, but much prefer the trousers of tailor #2. I will be providing the cloth to both tailors.

Is this considered a bad idea? I thought I read an article someplace (perhaps ASW) where the author did this and T#1 cut the coat on one side of the fabric and T#2 cut the trousers with the fabric reversed. As separates, the coat and trousers were fine, but as a whole, they did not match.