Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

[​IMG]

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Nice.

3. rob

rob Senior member

They can just cut the left side shorter without messing with the shoulder. I have a dropped right shoulder and that is what my tailor does. In any case, it is a minor nit to pick. I always like your fabric selection coordination of your outfits.

Best,

Rob

4. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Do you mean you cut the sleeve for the arm with dropped shoulder shorter so it is even with contralateral sleeve? Doesn't that mean there is more shirt sleeve showing for the sleeve that is cut short?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

5. rob

rob Senior member

No. I'm not talking about the sleeve; I talking about the front left quarter which is lower than the front right quarter.

6. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

Sure, here's a pic of the swatch, I actually get a lot of compliments on it, just prefer gun clubs with a smaller scale. Will take a pic of the jacket for you.

[​IMG]

7. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love that. I have the first LL gun club, which is in the same scale I think, and really enjoy it.

8. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

That's the kind of thing that isn't discernible in real life at all, only Style Forum robo-pose pics! I think I see what you're saying, but not something that concerns me at all. I'm not one that believes in perfection with garments. If one thinks it's attainable it'll drive one nuts.

9. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think your tailor has pulled the wool over your eyes!

We can use you over on the tailor/fit/feedback thread

10. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

I think he's talking about picking the side up rather then just cutting a more sloped shoulder and clearing the chest?

11. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

If we could all only stand perfectly still and balanced for our photos. Your coats fit great you should be happy. My only advice would be to try different style of coats, you seem like you may be at the point to branch out a little

12. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Thanks! I do have a lot of tweed sportcoats as you've probably seen. I'm sure I could use some cashmere, hopsack etc. but these days that's just not what I'm into. I work in the wine business and therefore don't need to have many things that are formal / casual mix. I can go all out one way or the other by wearing a barleycorn tweed or a double-breasted flannel suit which works with my lifestyle. I don't try to force anything and have diversity for the sake of having diversity. For me it's all about do I "want" to wear it. What I want may change down the line, but I like to think I'm getting stuff that's pretty timeless. We'll see where it all goes!

13. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

Something that's good to experiment with is structure of coat, I have come to conclusion for myself that business demands a formal elegant suit for sure, definitely structured, but I literally don't leave the house without a jacket. The greatest realization I had in the last few years was unstructured jackets, to get them clean they need fit perfect, as no canvas or rigidity to hide the flaws. They can fit like a second skin if done right and be a lot more comfortable for a lot of occasions that don't demand such a formal structure. This is the one thing I give credit for the Italians for championing. I see you experiment with a paddock coat etc, perhaps try your hand at an unstructed one

14. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh, I didn't really get it, Thanks

15. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

:) It wasn't meant like that, I have same problem and I know how hard it can be for people to describe, pretty much none of my MTM have picked it up. I have thought about this before, and for MTM for instance how would you decide whether you need to pick up for the drop shoulder or just clear and angle?