• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're depressing me, Canta.

Once you have a reasonable rotation of decent clothes, you might as well take a chance.

When bespoke goes well, it's genuinely surprising how much better it is than RTW. Odds are that it won't go well the first time but it is usually pretty good by the second go-around, assuming you pick a tailor who's got the skills and a style you like.

If you know going into it that it's a long drawn out process and that you're doing it for the next 10 suits over the next X years, you won't be as bothered by a few bumps at the start. Or by the problems you'll eventually encounter even after you think everything should be going perfectly smoothly.

It's a marriage not a one night stand.

Marriage isn't for everyone but there's certainly something to be said for it.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can I get a quick show of hands? Who here found their first commission unworkable?

My first is very much a part of my regular rotation. Like most here, I chose a navy workhorse fabric and as such, I get a lot of use out of it.

Last edited:

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
London Lounge Brown Barleycorn tweed now funded. Really comfy fabric that feels like I'm wearing a cozy blanket. Heavy stuff at around 19oz. Perfect for today's weather. Made by a MBT. Is it as good as Steed? No way, but still very nice and the fabric is stellar.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For myself I thought the fit was great, no complaints there, however my tastes in silhouette and style changed for sure. Sold my first commission.

Same goes for me for my first handful of commissions. I enjoyed them at the time, but gradually the styling began to feel too modern. I also prefer more comfort and drape these days while back then I just wanted a crisp and clean silhouette. Live and learn.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First time using the MBT, David?

Used him a handful of times throughout the past 4 years. Think this is the 5th item I've had made from him. All turned out nice enough if lacking the panache that Steed has in their garments.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Here here. I love the fabric.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks to all for taking a moment to share your experiences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics