1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior Member

I've noticed there's been no response from mafoofan on my flannel coats, perhaps he's learnt something from my posts

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Member

Beautifully made, but I think i tend to agree that it would look better as a suit than an odd jacket.
    Still, fit is amazing, where was that made ?

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

It's more likely that his computer spontaneously transformed into a turnip and he is still in the process of acquiring a new one.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

That is a lovely buttonhole. The rest of the coat is not to my taste personally, but by all means enjoy in good health.

5. Tried and True

Tried and True Distinguished Member

Only a fool would argue otherwise and it looks like you found a few. I would advise you to retire from this discussion for that old Twain adage is beginning to apply. Very nice jacket by the way, cloth and all.

6. fassbinder

fassbinder Senior Member

perhaps he hasn't noticed how bad your coats fit around the neck?

7. forex

forex Distinguished Member

The only thing I like about this jacket is the buttonhole, other than that, there is nothing special about it. Neither pattern nor fit but it's your money and clothing so feel free to do whatever you want. If you think all people on this board have no idea what they are talking about, perhaps you are in the wrong place to begin with?!

8. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior Member

Thanks for insulting me. You do realize how ironic it is to join a debate calling people 'fools' whilst purposefully ignoring all rationale points made?

This isn't how educated men converse, so you have perhaps achieved your goal, I am no longer posting in this discussion.

9. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior Member

@Forex where did I say everyone on this site have no idea what they talk? This is a straw man, please don't do that.

@fassbinder how so?

10. Loathing

Loathing Distinguished Member

Spare us your sophomoric logic and spend some time reading around instead.

11. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior Member

Lol I give up, this is painful. You do realize due to your inability to construct a proper argument, or converse intelligently - I have no idea what exactly you disagree with me on, or what you actually want me to read. Good day.

12. Loathing

You've conflated inability and disinclination. Isn't failing to make a distinction between the two one of your little logical fallacies? And also, isn't your insistence on placing the burden of evidence on me another logical fallacy?

Look at me! I can do Logic! :teach:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

13. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior Member

I'm not placing the burden of evidence on you to prove whether I'm right or wrong, I'm just asking you to add something to the discussion..

It's actually quite insulting you can't be bothered to engage in the conversation in any meaningful way. With my post and arguments, I've put the effort to actually to take time out of my day to take pictures and explain my position.

It's great to know you can't be arsed showing me the same level of courtesy.

14. Loathing

In all seriousness though, here's why those patterns look bad as odd jackets:

1. They look like they could be orphaned suit jackets. This is one of the most egregious mistakes in all of men's clothing.
    2. Odd jackets are casual by definition. They should look casual, they should be hard-wearing, they should be heavier in weight, coarser, more rustic, and bolder in pattern than suiting. The special exception is the navy blazer.
    3. Grey flannel trousers are the quintessential trouser to wear with an odd jacket. Therefore all of your odd jackets should contrast greatly with grey flannel.
    4. Finally, these cloths have a history, and small-scale glen plaids have historically been used for suits and not for odd jackets. This is one of the main reasons why point (1) is so important.

15. Loathing

It's funny that you see it this way. From my end, it looks like you can't be bothered to read around a little before engaging in a vociferous argument on an elementary point of good taste.