Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Disagree. That shade of brown is easier for most to wear especially compared to the tan in the Fresco II book.

2. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

I won't quibble over many/more/most; point is to try before you buy. The overwhelming majority of men, the 'well dressed' included, give no thought whatsoever to the relationship between cloth color and skin tone. A glaring omission in the selection process.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Meh, I was never in the school where you cared much about skin tone and what you wear. To me clothing is pretty standalone. Then again I have olive skin and look good in anything.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Swarthy FTW.

5. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

[​IMG]

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1.

Concerns about skin tone issues prevented me from wearing pink for many years. I finally decided to try wearing pink shirts and amazingly enough found they looked pretty damn good and my concerns were totally overblown. In my case, giving thought to that relationship actually restricted my clothing choices in a way that did not benefit me. I think it's fine to pay attention to this stuff in theory but it should not be taken too seriously (unless you try something on and it just does not look good on you because of skin tone, which I am convinced happens much less often than theory would dictate).

The other issue we have here is that regardless of what might in theory complement one's skin tone, there are cases where it does not matter. Regardless of whether a white shirt works for one's skin tone, it is going to be the shirt of choice every time one needs to wear black tie, dress CBD or be particularly formal (especially in the evening). Likewise, some ties simply look best with a particular shirt color and will not look good with one that might theoretically be better for one's skin tone. I'd rather have a good outfit that may not be perfect for my skin tone than a mediocre one that is more flattering in theory in most cases.

7. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

New to this thread, and relatively new to Bespoke tailoring. I have some staples at this point and I was looking for a new sport coat that is out of my normal range. Any thoughts on the following cloth would be much appreciated. My tailor is selling off some of his winter pieces, and this one caught my eye. I am not one to jump on a busy cloth, but I was taken back by this one.

13oz lambswool tweed from an Italian mill, which I do not know. Sorry for the poor images.

David-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

To give you a good opinion, I think we're going to need a swatch of your skin tone.

(In all seriousness, the colors seem too vibrant to me, and the base seems to have a slightly pinkish cast? Could just be my screen)

9. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

Thanks Derek. Not a great shot, but this is something new to me. Pattern may be too much overall for my big frame, but I figured I would poll the experts.
    [​IMG]

10. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Looks like you have a bolt of the cloth. One option is to drape the bolt of fabric across your chest and shoulder, mimicking the path of the lapel, and see how it looks in the mirror. you can also try it with various shirt an tie combos if you have the time and inclination.

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

that fabric is not nice and will look "vintage" in the bad sense of the word, once made up. There are about 1 million fabric options in that type of pattern, I would implore you to look at something else.

12. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Basically good design, but a very Italian palette, which I don't really care for. Check out some of the better Scottish equivalents. YMMV.

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Some attendees at the last Pitti Uomo were photographed doing this.

[​IMG]

14. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

Thanks edmorel, I appreciate your honesty. This is the kind of advice I am looking for.

15. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Besides skin tone, my hair color has turned from chestnut brown to totally grey/white. Cloth colors render differently now.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014