1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. poorsod

poorsod Distinguished Member

I'll also add that the weights of the LL fabrics are generally heavier than typically available.

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Distinguished Member

Thanks and that's all about what I figured. The lapel buttonhole only had stitching which I removed and was not cut through so all good there. Looks like I'm off to the tailor this week!

3. forex

forex Distinguished Member

Slew, the gorge on that jacket must be really high if you want to lower it? You must now be used to lower gorge from Steed :)

4. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Distinguished Member

Lord superb,
    If you google "lumbs golden bale" you will find a very informative article on the stuff from FNB. I'd recommend handling the fabric if you can. I've gotten to handle it at huntsman and in my view, there isn't anything special about lumbs golden bale. There is something special about the 13 ounce lumbs golden bale from H Lesser and I've got a suit in progress in the navy, but the lighter stuff felt lifeless and I couldn't understand the fuss until I felt the 13.

5. Slewfoot

Correct! It is this LL Corn Shetland I will be lowering. Quite high as you can see and I have a handful of fabric leftover which should (hopefully) make it easy enough to lower 1+ inch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

6. Despos

Despos Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

David,

Are you using a coat maker/tailor? They do need to have the materials for a new under collar and most alteration shops wouldn't have those types of supplies on hand. They also need to know how to set a collar. Just bringing this up to have integrity about the work being done.

7. Slewfoot

Yes, all set on that front and thanks for the note. Appreciate it!

8. dan'l

dan'l Senior Member

Any suggestions for a blue herringbone fabric, around 300 grams? I see a lot of grays and browns in herringbone, but cannot seem to find blue.

Also, those of you who've had sport coats made from Harrison's Moonbeam, where did you buy the fabric from?

9. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

Thank you.

10. LS7

LS7 Senior Member

I wondered if this short film made for the BBC Stop/Start series - linked below - might be of interest. Couldn't see it posted on any other CM threads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26179200

Hopefully it can be viewed outside of the UK.

11. tchoy

tchoy Distinguished Member

Let me know if you don't have enough fabric I have a small piece leftover as well.

12. forex

forex Distinguished Member

This still looks good to me but good luck with the project. Please post pics once it is completed. I hope it turns out the way you want, I like my corn shetland a lot. It actually saved me in -10F temperature a few weeks ago when I was in NY, of course I had a sweater underneath the coat, still, I didn't feel anything. I am thinking to remove the patch pockets on that coat and turn them into flaps though, I think that the fabric is too thick and the patch pockets stand out too much.

13. TheTukker

TheTukker Distinguished Member

+7

14. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

I agree with the advice.

OTish but I was always under the impression that that color is tobacco when referring to suede shoes but that tobacco in terms of cloth is more of a dark brown. But I might be totally wrong on that or there might not be a particular right.

15. Tried and True

Tried and True Distinguished Member

That color doesn't complement many skin tones, so beware.