1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. GucciKid

GucciKid Senior member

That grey is pretty standard, and perfectly suited to most environments. Perhaps not for evening wear, but it really isn't that light.

A very light grey I would consider more of a summer suit, but the above is pretty mid-grey to me.

1 person likes this.
  2. KellySolari

KellySolari Well-Known Member

For a more economical choice of 13oz worsted, dugdale's royal classic might be good?

3. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I was actually asking about dugdale recently on this thread, I haven't used it, but have been thinking about it. The lesser and smiths are better, but they don't have as wide of a range of greys as the dugdale

4. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Can anybody give me an honest assessment of the london lounge mistral fabric. I have a bolt of mistral and a sample of the merchant fox hopsack. The the mistral has a larger box pattern and is a bit spongy. It seems like it will be prone to snags. The merchant fox sample has a smaller box weave and a crisper hand. It seems less likely to snag when I run my fingernail over the cloth. Can anyone help?

5. KellySolari

KellySolari Well-Known Member

I haven't tried dugdale either... I was wearing my lesser when i compared it with the royal classic swatch. Their texture is similar (ofc lesser looks tad drier) and it made me wonder if my lesser really deserved the premium...

Any thoughts on the performance of dugdale's royal classic?

6. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I'm sure it'll hold up just fine, i think it just lacks the finishing of the lesser and smiths, other than that it seems pretty sturdy

7. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

8. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I have a gunclub from the old worsted alsport book, love it

1 person likes this.
  9. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I cant answer your question but I do know that the LL Mistral drapes wonderfully

Hope Tchoy doesn't me quoting him

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Where can I find a herringbone tweed with a ground in this shade of olive green?

Preferably with "cool" colored windowpanes. (Blue, Navy, Brown, Dark Green, not orange, yellow, or red)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  11. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Minnis Alsport- too light?

[​IMG]

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

A little light. Though from my experience, Minnis' swatch pictures are always washed-out. Hard to tell

The windowpanes on that fabric are also thick. Would prefer something thinner

Minnis also has these

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Broken barley/herringbone
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Fleabay

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

I'd like to be able to wear it for at least 6 months London summer, surrounding months. I am set on fresco, love the texture and want a breathing suit for warmer days. It won't be a blazersuit as I see little use of a solid grey wool odd jacket (although I have considered a balzersuit in 520). The 511 in that pic looks lighter than my swatch.

15. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

anyone have any tips or do's/don'ts for storing fabric that wont be made up for a year or more?

16. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Cool, dry place in a plastic bag with a few cedar blocks sandwiched between the fabrics. I've stored some fabrics that are 5+ years old in this manner and they're just fine.

17. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I don't think cedar blocks actually do anything. Just make sure it's clean and possibly air tight if you can.

18. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

They have to replaced often as the oil runs out, but they do work. If one is hoarding thousands of dollars worth of fabric, it's worth the expense and hassle.

19. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

Its a little cheaper if you use cedar shavings (yes for a pet cage) in a breathable bag or tied in an old t-shirt. Not only is there much more oil, its infinitely cheaper. I think I paid 15$ for a bag. [​IMG]