• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just ordered 3 meters of this Harris Tweed for a jacket. (Callum Maclean)

Won't be able to wear it until next fall probably

114.jpg

http://www.buttoflewistextiles.co.uk/products.html

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's single width cloth. Ask your tailor if that's enough.

Didn't catch that. How many meters should I up the order by? Double?

I'm not a large guy, 40R, 5'10 180 lbs.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You will need 4 meters for a regular jacket. Get 4.5 if you are considering patch pockets

Stugotes

Reaction score
The place I'd like to try is a new operation and has very limited selection of cloth; how do I recognize Fresco by looking at it? I know how it looks like as a jacket, but I'm not sure about a small piece in a book. Is the weight any clue?

Last edited:

Verniza

Reaction score

The light-weight 3-ply Finmeresco is very good-- drapes a bit better than most of the Fresco options even if it might not breathe quite so well.

Both are better than the others in extreme heat/humidity.

I live in South East Asia so my vote will go to Minnis, then Finmeresco for durability. But for an all around cloth, I prefer Lesser

Thank you for your input guys. Looks like it will all boil down to what I prioritize.

Comfort in heat, durability, drape or a versatile cloth.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The place I'd like to try is a new operation and has very limited selection of cloth; how do I recognize Fresco by looking at it? I know how it looks like as a jacket, but I'm not sure about a small piece in a book. Is the weight any clue?

Sorry if this sounds obvious but Fresco fabrics would be in a book marked Minnis Fresco.

If you mean open-weave cloth, then hold it up to the light.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can we talk sharkskin for a second?

I had associated the fabric with gangsters, 1960s loungewear, and the like. Shiny stuff made for Las Vegas at night. High silk content.

IMG_9035.JPG

But I recently realized that are some more refined sharkskin fabrics that really just nicely-textured grey wool (no silk) that can be worn easily during the day. For instance, this one,

(13 oz Harrison's "Oyster" from Vox)
tumblr_mmdu2fyWqc1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

and this one

(Holland and Sherry Interbook from NMWA)

frmsui002_2.jpg

My question is how durable are these fabrics? Do they get shiny easily? (https://twitter.com/CGBCooper/status/421389156485718016)

Also, who else makes a particularly good sharkskin?

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lesser makes a fantastic sharkskin.

Sharkskin is not an inherently shiny fabric. The English makers tend to make a very traditional, dry sharkskin.

It's just a particular weave pattern, mixing two colors of yarns. No impact on durability.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In addition to Lessers/Harrisons, look at Smiths (14oz Steadfast, and 13oz Botany).

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks mafoo and concordia.

Here's another question. Would you take a nice mid-grey sharkskin over a mid-grey regular worsted? (Medium weight) A mid grey suit is a gap I need to fill in my wardrobe.

A good sharkskin seems more visually interesting. NMWA might have chosen to carry a sharkskin as its only mid grey suit for that reason.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a medium grey sharkskin suit coming in from Rubinacci. Lesser Lumb's Golden Bale. Awesome stuff.

To be clear, sharkskin is just form of worsted wool. It's just a different weave pattern, like herringbone or twill. I like it because it adds some color variegation without imposing a distinct pattern.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a medium grey sharkskin suit coming in from Rubinacci. Lesser Lumb's Golden Bale. Awesome stuff.

Any of that floating around on the net or did you order direct through Rubinacci?

To be clear, sharkskin is just form of worsted wool. It's just a different weave pattern, like herringbone or twill. I like it because it adds some color variegation without imposing a distinct pattern.

Right, what I was getting at. Thanks for clarifying what it actually is. Helpful.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Any of that floating around on the net or did you order direct through Rubinacci?

You can order directly from Lesser, but most bespoke tailors should be able to get it for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads