1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I don't recall seeing a green like this one from W Bill linen book, this looks like darker green to me May be @~ B ~ can chime in.

2. ldourado

ldourado Member

Gentlemen,
    Living at a coastal city in Brazil, with virtually only one season year around, with temperatures ranging from 20 to 30C (68-86F), what would be your fabric choices for a trouser wardrobe to pair with blazers and sportcoats. I'm trying to conciliate durability and the ability to hold a crease with relative thermal comfort.

LD

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Maybe some lighter weight flannel (12 ounce) for the occasional cool day, but I'd mostly go with Fresco (10 ounce), wool-linen blends and tropical weight wool.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Prob just cottons, linens, and tropical wools. Dugdale has some good cottons. I like W. Bill's linens. And Smiths and Minnis are popular sources for tropical wools. As @tchoy mentioned, @~ B ~ also has a bunch of nice warm weather fabrics for sale right now, if you want to contact him.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  5. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

That green linen is quite nice. How does one order?

6. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

Interesting discussion on tweed. I wondered if anyone in this thread has tried one of Molloy's Donegal tweeds, which apparently have the distinction of actually being made in Donegal. I don't know much about them, but them seem to be on the heavier side. The one below is about 18 oz. I just saw the swatches posted by Luxire. They are offering these fabrics for trousers, although they seem better suited to sport coats. Anyhow, here is one example:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. ldourado

ldourado Member

Thanks @dieworkwear and @archibaldleach for the suggestions. I'm not used to Fresco. Is it durable enough for trousers? Sometimes I have that awful problem with piling between the thighs.

Any suggestions for linen/wool blends suitable for trousers?

8. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

I thought I had read that you do not think gray sport coats are that useful.

9. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Just PM ~B~

10. Grammaton Cleric

Thanks - didn't realize that was a username.

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Molloy sells stuff in different weights, but IMO, almost everything they make is better suited to jackets and coats. Including that blue herringbone.

Lots of people use Fresco here for trousers.

I think they're less useful than brown and blue sport coats, but grey tweeds are nice. Donegals and herringbones are pretty easy to wear.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  12. Grammaton Cleric

^ I have that blue Molloy donegal - it's very very thick (even 18oz. Harris is slim by comparison) - def only for coats.

13. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

Thanks for the replies. This sounds like pretty serious fabric. I might want a lighter weight, if in fact one was available.

GC: if you have any pictures of how this Molloy Donegal made up I would love to see them.

14. Grammaton Cleric

I'll snap one later tonight.

15. Arno

Arno Active Member

I once made trousers from this cloth. Very heavy and thick.
    I can't say I'd really recommend it though. It was fun and they do keep my legs warm during the coldest days, but heavy flannel does it better.
    Even for jackets, it's too coarse for me. Would be great for an overcoat though...

[​IMG]

16. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

I just flipped through my WBill swatch book and there aren't any green linens at all. The nearest ones that are vaguely green would be 60136 and 60137, both a very, very light sand-olive. Obviously night and day compared to the Racing Green

17. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Any folks interested in bespoke shirting runs in patterned linen-cotton, with Bonfanti?

1 person likes this.
  18. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sure, if they're not too far out there on patterns/colors.

19. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Fresco would be ultra-durable but a little scratchy for trousers. It'll retain its line well.

You could look at Cacciopoli and Minnis for linen/wool.

20. ~ B ~

~ B ~ Senior member

Classic stuff like houndstooths, puppytooths, glenplaids, tattersalls and ginghams