1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I think you guys may check out the facebook of Merino Brothers, the agent of Harrison in Hong Kong, their photo album has most of the books they carries.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. KYHillbilly

KYHillbilly Member

Excellent suggestion. That's what I've been doing.

3. fassbinder

fassbinder Senior member

@SimonC posted back in April some lovely bolts of old english cloth. In the spirit of that post and Manton's orginal post, I would like to share some of my collection of vintage British fabrics. Here just some of my favorites. Hopefully I will have time for a few more posts.

vintage flannel, the guy who sold me it claimed it was 30s but could just as easily be 50s, I don't know and don't really care, it is old and very heavy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 pieces of vintage 70s/80s 3ply dormeuil Tonik. I also have charcoal piece and have already funded a beautiful navy/blue shot Tonik
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 pieces of mid to late 80s Lesser blue/grey glenn checks, the raf glen check is a 13oz golden bale, the red overcheck was a special run maybe 10/11 oz.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is a Wain Shiell twist suiting made in the old Ried and Taylor style from Scotland but also with donegal type fabric specks called Waineagle, very heavy, this is getting funded next:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hopefully i can get around to doing a few more posts like this if it is well received. would love to see some other peoples vintage cloth finds.

6 people like this.
  4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I was looking at the new Grouse Moor range from Holland and Sherry today - it has some very vivid coloured fabrics (all very nice though). I mentioned it to Guy Hills of Dashing Tweeds a bit later when I was in their store - really great guy to talk to BTW and their fabrics have really come on in quality - and he agrees that perhaps they have been having an influence on what other more traditional companies are starting to put out. However he also said that from his own researches into older cloth, with the exception of the war years and just after, men's suiting and jacketing in the first half of the C20th was much more varied in colour than had become the case in the last few years. A lot more quite vivid greens, teals and so on, for example.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  5. 1969

1969 Senior member

Is there a current thread discussing US tailors that you guys are using? I don't want to wait for someone who travels, and I don't need bespoke. Just looking for someone with a track record of good work, preferably in Houston or Dallas.

6. KYHillbilly

KYHillbilly Member

Chris Despos goes back and forth from Chicago to Dallas. By all accounts he's one of the best tailors out there.

2 people like this.
  7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Would love if more tailors would come to LA. everyone seems to go to SF

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I bet you can get some sweet bespoke Diesel jeans and MTM Ed Hardy T-shirts in L.A. though.

9. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

There are quite a few Brits who visit LA - Richard Anderson, Kilgour, Poole, Sweeney, etc.

10. chogall

chogall Senior member

Did they all book the wrong flight?

11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Received my Fox shipment!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  12. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Very sweet hauls. Particularly like the last two. What's the weight of these?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  13. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

I also like that green tweed from Fox and ordered myself a swatch earlier this year.

Speaking of green tweeds, any ideas where I can find something like this?

[​IMG]

I think this is called a shepherd's check, right?

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

16. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

My Fox flannel group buy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. mactire

mactire Senior member

Well regarded German tailor based in Houston: http://www.berlinbespokesuits.com/

His work is at the highest level, and yes those buttonholes are handsewn.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  18. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

While this is certainly true regarding his skill and reputation, I don't think Chris takes on alterations, except perhaps as a favor to bespoke clients. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

19. mactire

mactire Senior member

Beg pardon, I misunderstood the query. Although if I were 1969 I would go to him if I could afford it, and even if I couldn't afford I'd still go. The work is impeccable.

20. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

This is correct.