Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

+1, looks fantastic!

2. forex

forex Senior member

W. Bill linen is 60 GBP per meter and while it is lower than LL pricing, I don't think it is modestly priced. It is still pretty high and on par with other wool fabrics.

3. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

Compared to what else is out there, 60gbp/m for single width linen is not expensive by any means, scabal's is easily double the price and definitely not double the quality, I think if you're going the bespoke route, to skimp out on the fabric over a difference of 20 or 30 gbp/m is not worth it. I can personally attest to wbill's linen quality, it tailors into a great garment. For something softer, I would opt for cacciopolli's italian linen, it is different than wbill's, but still great. I would not however endorse the LL linen's because of the price, its just too much, and although the quality may be there, the difference from wbill or cacciopoli's offerings is negligible. I was going to purchase the POW linen they offered just because good patterned linens are hard to come by, but decided against it after being quoted the LL standard. Ariston also carries a nice selection of linen, so you should take a look there as well. As with most italian distributors, the italian tailors will be able to get cloth at a much better price than others.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

You don't like it, teh drape?

5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I kinda like that one.

6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I have a jacket made up in a Solbiati linen from Mytailor in tobacco brown, as an alternative to the Slewfoot Fresco as I'm not a fan of teh Fresco. This linen is a great fabric, very soft to the touch in a rich brown with nice visual interest / surface texture. My only caveat is that it is such a light fabric that I eventually asked Joe to add some interlining at the cuff to keep it from curling.

7. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

+3

8. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

I'm sorry you're deluded if you think 60gbp/m for single width linen isn't expensive... John England make some of the best linen in the world, they supply most of the top merchants, you can buy it for around 20gbp/m, I'm not sure what else I can tell you

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

60 GBP/m for any fabric isn't expensive let alone linen.

10. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

For Info:
    Ariston also carrys Solbiati.

And I agree, for Italian fabrics is better to get your tailor to source it for you as Italian mills do reserve special pricing to the industry.

11. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

I guess that depends on who you know and where you shop. It is expensive to me, considering I purchase the same linen 1/3rd of the price... Perhaps not so for you

12. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I mean when buying from a merchant instead of the actual mill. I am not familiar with john englands stock linen specifications so I can't comment on how it tailors.

13. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Senior member

They have many stock lines in different weights, qualities and colours. No need to thank me :)

14. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Why thank you. I find it is often quite difficult to find interesting odd jacketings in blue. I'd be quite interested in a hue like the one in the picture, for four season wear, perhaps with an interesting windowpane or so.

[​IMG]

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Similarly, I realized a couple of months ago that with two exceptions, all of my sport coats are in the brown range. Which is fine, but I mostly wear SCs and would like to switch it up a bit, if only to vary the colors of tie I can wear with them a bit.

My random thought for the day. Still not sure what my next SC will be.