• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gopherblue

Reaction score
I have a Harrison's question too: Has anyone seen/handled the Harrison's Anniversary Tweed? Had anything made from it? Thoughts/opinions?

bertie

Reaction score
I got the samples of the anniversary tweed but have not had anything made up. The cloth is very rustic and the checks are HUGE. The samples do not have the weight listed so I could not venture a guess.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a Harrison's question too: Has anyone seen/handled the Harrison's Anniversary Tweed? Had anything made from it? Thoughts/opinions?

Just looked into these. Some interesting patterns- however I was shocked that the US distributor charges $175/ meter for this, making it more expensive than LL!

That said if anyone has 2.25 meters of the brown with green overcheck they want to sell, I'm interested.

Last edited:

gopherblue

Reaction score

I got the samples of the anniversary tweed but have not had anything made up. The cloth is very rustic and the checks are HUGE. The samples do not have the weight listed so I could not venture a guess.

I'd love to see/handle a sample. Are you in the NYC area?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The cut length price for Fox used to be £42/m ex-VAT on all ranges.  Entirely due to Alden queering the pitch for others and having his supposed own 'range' of cloth issued Fox Bros. jumped their price to the £92-£100 ex-VAT level.

They also changed ownership, launched the whole Fox Merchant thing with a lot more online presence, and collaborated with a number of other retailers. Even if LL did not exist and/or had never partnered with Fox, I doubt the price of Fox flannel would still be 42 pounds/meter.

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Awesome find, Robb Report.

That would be a nice coating even without the interesting story.

Any thoughts on how the old old stuff differs from today's heavyweights, if at all?

Thx! I don't have incredible experience with modern heavy stuff, just what Frank has, but from what he says, and my limited experience is that the older stuff is way more dense and heavy...not easy to work with.

mactire

Reaction score
They also changed ownership, launched the whole Fox Merchant thing with a lot more online presence, and collaborated with a number of other retailers. Even if LL did not exist and/or had never partnered with Fox, I doubt the price of Fox flannel would still be 42 pounds/meter.

Possibly not, but he has made a deliberate policy of trying to stop mills from selling cut lengths stock ranges to the public incl. those who make the linens & tweeds he sells [which are all from their stock range].

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ this is true of the barleycorn which molloy quoted me at 2 different prices, first the stock price, then once LL got wind of my pending purchase, the LL price

Interested to know how LL got the wind of your order...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Going to look at some Lesser 16oz stuff next week. Probably will check out the Smith Botany book as well. What is the price like on these books? About average?

johanm

Reaction score

Taking into account sterling prices & vat 2.5 times the RRP from the mill.

This is awful. I hate getting ripped off by middlemen regardless of the underlying goods. For me it would take the fun out of the purchase and I would skip it altogether.

Going to look at some Lesser 16oz stuff next week. Probably will check out the Smith Botany book as well. What is the price like on these books? About average?

They're priced roughly in between the Harrisons/Minnis group and the Scabal/H&S group, but better than both for this type of cloth IMO. Also try Smith Steadfast which is really good and kind of intermediate between Lesser 16 and Botany.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads