1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I more meant fabrics that are exclusive to LL, or by Michael's design. I don't think the brown barleycorn is, nor is the wheat herringbone. At least not from the Molloy runs.

2. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Technically the cloth woven for Frank is different because it was made with the apex pointing up rather pointing down. Were you the one that told me that or was it Frank?

3. mactire

mactire Senior member

Alden did not invent this or any barleycorn, like almost everything else he has done it was taken from the mills books.

1 person likes this.
  4. dieworkwear

I'm just trying to not step on anyone's toes. That includes copying things that have been offered by Michael in the past, and I think are somewhat exclusive to him. If it's stock, then that's a separate issue.

If someone else has less compunction about doing LL cloths, they're welcome to organize their own runs. As a person who recently organized a brown Fresco run, I can tell you it's a pain in the ass, which is why I respect Michael's work.

Frankly, I don't want this thread to devolve into an argument about what would be OK to design. I'm happy to take people's ideas, and will organize what I'd personally feel comfortable organizing. As I said, if you want to organize something else, that's perfectly great too.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    3 people like this.
  5. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

Mac +1

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  6. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Not sure. I know with mine he was certain it was to be made with the apex pointing up. With yours, you said it could be done either way, correct? I think Frank thought that it should have been apex up as well. But I'm not certain.

7. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

^ your hard work is much appreciated.

As I'm falling somewhat in love with fresco (I have 520, 517 and mid grey that I don't know the number of), what other potential projects are there? Any plaids or windowpanes please?

8. dieworkwear

I just spoke with Shaun at Molloy today. We're still working out the logistics, but it sounds like a Donegal might be possible. Whether that's the barleycorn or something else, I'm open to ideas.

I'm supposed to receive a few swatches from him for something else I'm working on, so maybe we can mull on this a bit. From my experience with the brown Fresco, it takes a while to get the colors right anyway, so I imagine if something happens, it won't be until later this year.

9. hst

hst Senior member

I think a dark barleycorn or donegal in 300-400 grams will be great.

10. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I vote for POW/ plaids or windowpanes in fresco :)

11. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Green or blue base barleycorn or barleycorn donegal would be my vote.

12. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

i don't think POW/Windowpane in fresco were possible (or we'd have to order in a huge amount). something about them switching their machines.

I could be wrong

13. borbor

borbor Senior member

mystique 34151 fine classic 47365

14. venividivicibj

thanks!

15. fassbinder

fassbinder Senior member

brown barley corn please

16. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I've always liked this fabric that Alden is wearing here...not an LL fabric, but something he found in the back at one of the mills...a dark brown version of this for a pea-coat meets polo coat style overcoat I might be into.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. venividivicibj

damn, seems like everyone is after tweeds, breanish, and heavier fabrics.

18. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I was a skeptic for a while, but heavier fabrics really are better if you live in a climate that can handle them.

19. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

LL is getting a subscription for gray PoW Piuma which is similar to fresco, a little heavier but less coarse.

20. venividivicibj

Yeah, but I live in LA, so I'd be able to wear tweeds maybe 5 days a year. I do understand the appeal for all you North Easterners though.